Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2022, 10:13 PM

13,891 posts, read 8,086,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Before you go on a political rant, I fully agree that wages aren't keeping up with the cost of living. Arizona ranks 10th lowest in the nation for average incomes. We're down on the list with Arkansas, Alabama, and Oklahoma, which is embarrassing. The answer is not to raise the minimum wage. Arizona's minimum wage is already higher than most states (and keeps increasing every year).

Regardless of FDR's vision, minimum wage earners have always been the ones who generally have few skills, little education, and a lack of ambition. Why should they be rewarded with a "good living" when they didn't get busy and improve themselves? It's the people in the middle income range who we should be more concerned about because their incomes have remained stagnant ... and according to one source, they're impacted by inflation more than the upper & lower classes.

https://grow.acorns.com/inflation-im...le-class-most/

This is precisely what these complainers need to consider. Until they realize this and DO something about their financial situation, they're just shouting into the wind & spinning their wheels.
Getting out of one's comfort zone and taking action is never fun but sometimes you've got to. Because once you reach 30-35 most people aren't interested in listening to why life hasn't gone your way. They've usually got a full plate of their own (family, career, ect) to deal with.

Last edited by john3232; 04-13-2022 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 11:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
The catch-22 is not an "excuse" nor is it laziness - it is a real reason why people can't get out of those Mcjobs. Employers DO NOT count Mcjob experience for career jobs.

So many kids go to college, work Mcjobs during their 4 years and don't get an internship - oops, they are not allowed to have a career job thanks to the catch-22.

Someone stuck in a Mcjob gets the idea "I'll learn new skills" - does so and oops, no job for them because of the catch-22.
Or if they're ambitious & goal oriented, they'll take another job (like somebody I know who is a server at a restaurant, and also works at a golf club). Instead of blowing the extra money on frivolous things, she saved and was able to put a down payment on a small townhouse. I don't know why you think there aren't better jobs available for those who learn new skills. The unemployment rate is low, and business owners are eager to hire. In fact, many businesses have been desperate for help over the last year or so.

And what's this "catch 22" you keep referring to? Was it called "catch 21" last year, and will be "catch 23" a year from now?
()

Old 04-14-2022, 08:00 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,240,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Or if they're ambitious & goal oriented, they'll take another job (like somebody I know who is a server at a restaurant, and also works at a golf club).
Ambitious and goal oriented - is only able to get a job as a server since Mcjob experience is not accepted yb employers for career jobs.

Quote:
And what's this "catch 22" you keep referring to? Was it called "catch 21" last year, and will be "catch 23" a year from now?
()
Can't get the new and higher paying job without experience in the field you're trying to get into, can't get the experience in that new field without a job in the new field. Employers don't count Mcjob experience for the new field.

"Why is this waiter trying to apply for a business analyst role" says the hiring manager who ignores the cover letter, education and BA certification on the resume and tosses it in the trash.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:20 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
The catch-22 is not an "excuse" nor is it laziness - it is a real reason why people can't get out of those Mcjobs. Employers DO NOT count Mcjob experience for career jobs.

So many kids go to college, work Mcjobs during their 4 years and don't get an internship - oops, they are not allowed to have a career job thanks to the catch-22.

Someone stuck in a Mcjob gets the idea "I'll learn new skills" - does so and oops, no job for them because of the catch-22.
How is that a "catch 22"? Pull up Indeed at any time and there are plenty of entry level jobs with room to move up. No one is "stuck at a Mcjob"...that is a choice. Make better choices. You don't have to get an internship to have a career...that is just victim thinking. I know a guy that started at Intel in an entry level job, moved around a bit to find his niche and ended up in Sales. He is now a Sales Director, albeit many years later. There is no walking into a high level position in the corporate world...you still need to start at an entry level job and work your way up.

Keep making excuses and remain stuck in a Mcjob if you want. The world does not owe you a career. You owe that to yourself. That college education means little to nothing for most employers lately, they want someone talented, intelligent and have a good work ethic...if you have none of these things, you are not getting hired. There is your "catch 22"

Old 04-14-2022, 08:25 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
How is that a "catch 22"? Pull up Indeed at any time and there are plenty of entry level jobs with room to move up. No one is "stuck at a Mcjob"...that is a choice. Make better choices.
Agreed. Then I guess no one would have a career. I went from server in college, to college graduate, to entry-level job in related degree field.

Now maybe the Catch-22 exists if you decided to major in Gender Studies or Art History. "Well, I know a lot about Picasso and how to fry nuggets, but I have no clue about statistics, which is required for this analyst role I'm interviewing for..."

Old 04-14-2022, 08:27 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Not to mention skilled trades are in super high-demand right now. Work at McJob and go to night school and learn skills like welding or the path to becoming a plumber or electrician. Those are legitimate careers that pay well.

Or hell, become a truck driver. https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...-to-over-100k/

There are plenty of things people can do to move ahead. Most are just too lazy or like to party too much.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:54 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Agreed. Then I guess no one would have a career. I went from server in college, to college graduate, to entry-level job in related degree field.

Now maybe the Catch-22 exists if you decided to major in Gender Studies or Art History. "Well, I know a lot about Picasso and how to fry nuggets, but I have no clue about statistics, which is required for this analyst role I'm interviewing for..."
We have a position open for an account manager here in Phoenix. You know how many applicants the Director received? 1. Some of our account managers pulled in $60k comp checks last month. We got ONE applicant for an open req. Just ridiculous.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:00 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,312,676 times
To the point of the original post . Phoenix metro 2018 very affordable -2022 Not very affordable. Yes, soon Phoenix metro will be on par with Denver and Colorado Springs. Two of my Favorite places are AZ and Colorado and very very expensive for the average not-so-successful person A new trend in the Phoenix metro area is people over 50 living in their cars or pickups and Old RVs moving from one Walmart to the next. These are America's unfortunate unexceptional and unambitious and lazy as the more fortunate would say. They made poor choices despite their lower IQ the more fortunate will say. Why don't they leave and go to a place they can afford like rural Arkansas and live in parking lots there? Despite their learning disability, and inability to learn higher paying skills, why aren't they working at an Amazon fulfillment center, taking showers at Planet fitness, moving every night to a different Walmart or Farmer's side road? don't end up like them!
There are plenty of ways young people can get ahead, this is America! set your priorities even if you aren't exceptional and of average intelligence, there are resources available, don't give up, make plan A, Plan B, Plan C, live in a Ghetto if you have to, buy Cockroach killer but plan on getting somewhere just keep trying or move to FT Wayne Indiana I hear it is still affordable and they have some jobs.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:04 AM

13,891 posts, read 8,086,228 times
It's easy to blame others, society, the government, ect. But the question always comes back to what are YOU going to do.

Yeah, I've "got mine" and don't have to worry the cost of food or gas these days. However, that was the plan all along. My wife and I lived a frugal existence for several decades in order to save and invest for our golden years.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:30 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,205 times
Instead of only making it up to an individual we should very much also make any effort as a community to encourage building (both SFH and MFH) and make it as affordable as possible. Slash bureaucracy, give incentives etc. Basically, do the opposite of what California does by making new-builds either outright impossible with "environmental assessments" nobody ever gets approved for or make it so expensive with tons of mandates that the average Joe can't ever afford it. Or allow NIMBYs to prevent everything like declare an area a wildlife refuge to prevent affordable housing. I think we have to live with the fact that Phoenix is now more attractive and more people will want to live here than before the work from home era. We have to accommodate this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area