Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 06:00 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ra Sushi on Mill Avenue also closed a few years ago, which is sad because it was one of my favorite places to get Asian styled take outs. Thankfully, they still have other locations, but the one on Mill was really convenient for lunch since my office is close by.
I remember the obnoxious as hell commercials, I didn't realize they were gone now. Bummer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 05:51 AM

48 posts, read 64,262 times
Are most of the restaurants in the Tempe, Chandler, and Gilbert areas chains? Or are they local spots (including the coffee shops and breweries)? We're headed out to visit as a possible relocation option and it looks like these areas have some decent food choices but I don't know if these are west coast chains or local.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:37 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncherBier View Post
Are most of the restaurants in the Tempe, Chandler, and Gilbert areas chains? Or are they local spots (including the coffee shops and breweries)? We're headed out to visit as a possible relocation option and it looks like these areas have some decent food choices but I don't know if these are west coast chains or local.
A lot of both. Google will tell you if they are local or chains.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:47 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Update: Sadly, House of Tricks closed.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:52 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Update: Sadly, House of Tricks closed.
It has not closed yet. The owners have announced an intention to retire in June. There's still plenty of time to enjoy the restaurant between now and then.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:20 PM

843 posts, read 563,575 times
Quote:
I did some quick research for a post from 4 months ago about the restaurants in downtown Gilbert (Gilbert Rd - not every single place). Here you go:

Sotol Modern Cocktail Kitchen, Joe's Real BBQ, SoCal Fish Taco Company, The Farmhouse Restaurant, Champions Sports Saloon, The White Rabbit, Liberty Market, Romeo's Euro Café, Topo -- these all have only one location in Gilbert as far as I can tell.

Clever Koi - locations in Phoenix and Gilbert - two locations
Joyride Taco House - two locations
Sushi Brokers - three locations
Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row - three locations
The Porch - three locations
OHSO - four upscale valley locations

Oreganos, Lo-Lo's, Snooze, Zinburger, Postino, Culinary Dropout are indeed large chains.

There are also other businesses in the area such as coffee shops, a huge candy store, ice cream, a street taco stand (Midnight Taco - 2 locations), Level 1 Arcade Bar (one location), the Hale Theatre, the park by the water tower.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 01-16-2022 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 07:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
I'd say it depends on the areas of each of those cities you're in but personally I live in Tempe and almost never eat at chains, with the exception being local chains like Press Coffee. In Tempe I'd recommend Casey Moore's, House of Tricks, Cornish Pasty, The Chuckbox, Vincintarios (south Tempe), Postino, Chompies, The Dhaba, Caffe Boa, Spinatos, Harlows Cafe, Med Fresh Turkish, Thai Basil, Matts Big Breakfast, Snooze (is a small chain but I do like their food).

That's kind of scratching the surface and depending on what you're looking for there's endless options in metro Phoenix of course. I don't find it very hard to eat at non-major chains, if you go to a major strip mall like Tempe marketplace you're mainly going to see chains but go down towards Mill and you'll find all kinds of non-chain choices.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:38 AM

48 posts, read 64,262 times
Thanks everyone for the info. We visited Scottsdale and today are visiting Gilbert, Chandler, and maybe Tempe.

We don't mind local chains but we avoid national franchises. We were excited to see one of our old Denver favorites for breakfast, Snooze. This was a single restaurant in Denver back when we lived there.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:02 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,707,802 times
I don't know why anyone would have a conference in Tempe in August, but as long as you're using the word "new," I just thought I'd mention that a lot of well-reviewed places have opened in Mesa and Chandler, and there's also Scottsdale, if you have a car.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...t-now-11394057

Old 01-17-2022, 05:26 PM

409 posts, read 871,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I don't know why anyone would have a conference in Tempe in August, but as long as you're using the word "new," I just thought I'd mention that a lot of well-reviewed places have opened in Mesa and Chandler, and there's also Scottsdale, if you have a car.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...t-now-11394057
Well, when the convention started many years ago, it was generally in May or June. The last couple of years to moved to the August date due to reduced cost from the hotel. I prefer the May date for a variety of reasons, but I don't set the date.

We did drive down to Tucson last year to visit some museums and I remember we ate at a restaurant there that the driver said was rated the best in Tucson. It was called the Arizona Family Restaurant. It was nice enough, but it didn't knock my socks off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area