Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2022, 01:32 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,022,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Winter like weather in Denver can linger on into May and snow is even possible in June then starting up again in October, it's a really long period of time for snowy weather to be possible. But in the actual summer, which starts on June 21st, not in May, it's can be pretty hot. The highs are 94, 97 and 98 in Denver over the next 3 days, I'm sure ACs will be on.

I'm not saying Denver isn't nicer than Phoenix in the summer, it certainly is but 90s are still pretty toasty especially if you live in a cold climate and are more adapted to cooler temps overall. I've got a lot of friends and coworkers there, they do plenty of complaining about summer temps trust me.
I'll co-sign this
Denver and slc have been built up a lot in the past 20 years. So They don't cool down at nite like they used to. And upper 90s are definitely sweaty up there, they're not relaxing days at all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 02:41 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,886,067 times
I live in the northern most town in New Hampshire and perhaps the northern most home in that town at 2400 ' for over Fifty years ,It has NEVER gone over 82 degrees in that time , close but never over ..I would die in the Phoenix climate.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I'm not looking at it from a town's perspective, just a CLOSE area to hike WITHOUT having to drive for 2 to 3 hours. You can spin this all you want, but the fact of the matter is for most of the metro going for a quick hike is not realistic. Mt. Charleston area is a sky island mountain retreat (with a ski resort as well), so yes it's not like going to the high country. But make no mistake, it's not as small as you say. There's lots of trails and open areas. Nevada has "high country" as well, but it's a very remote state that doesn't have a lot of towns and cities. Which IMO makes it more "wild" than AZ. I know you think AZ is the only state with natural beauty and is perfect, but there are many other areas as well.
The matter of fact is what I gave you, Payson is 1hr 15 mins from downtown Phoenix; it's cooler and has hikes. I gave you facts on drive time distances and factual differences on town sizes of cooler climates nearby each city, which may not matter to you but most people would like to grab lunch and a beer in said cooler weather while they're up there hiking. Pretty logical...

You act like every person lives in Casa Grande and has to drive to Flagstaff to hike in cooler temps, that's not the case. You can go to Globe, Payson, Preskitt, Sedona or Flagstaff for towns. You can also hike more "wild" places which are even closer to Phoenix such as near Crown King, Mt. Ord off the 87, and even the top of Four Peaks among and other places which will get you to much higher/cooler elevations.

Where is Nevada's high country? Tahoe?

There is a large variety difference, in favor of Phoenix, within about a 2 hour drive of both cities. I know both cities very well.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:29 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,017,746 times
Quote:
The matter of fact is what I gave you, Payson is 1hr 15 mins from downtown Phoenix; it's cooler and has hikes. I gave you facts on drive time distances and factual differences on town sizes of cooler climates nearby each city, which may not matter to you but most people would like to grab lunch and a beer in said cooler weather while they're up there hiking. Pretty logical...

You act like every person lives in Casa Grande and has to drive to Flagstaff to hike in cooler temps, that's not the case. You can go to Globe, Payson, Preskitt, Sedona or Flagstaff for towns. You can also hike more "wild" places which are even closer to Phoenix such as near Crown King, Mt. Ord off the 87, and even the top of Four Peaks among and other places which will get you to much higher/cooler elevations.

Where is Nevada's high country? Tahoe?

There is a large variety difference, in favor of Phoenix, within about a 2 hour drive of both cities. I know both cities very well.
I'm not going to go back and forth with you, you're unrealistically biased and there is no hope for you. And if you're referring to knowing Las Vegas very well, you don't. I used to live there for a decade, so I KNOW. smh

Old 07-08-2022, 07:33 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Why do you have to make a day of it here? I'd say it's more fun to make a day of it or a weekend of it here because our high country options actually have some stuff to do. But from the 202 at Country Club to Payson is 67 minutes right now and from downtown Phoenix it's 80 minutes. From Henderson, NV to the Mary Jane Trail Head at Mt. Charleston it is 70 minutes right now from Summerlin it's 45 minutes right now. If you lived in North Phoenix, say Anthem, you're 79 minutes from Preskitt.
I personally don't consider Payson or Prescott to be places to escape the heat. Afternoon high temps are usually in the 90s in both places during the summer months, and easily over 100 degrees if there's a major heat wave. Yes, it cools down at night very nicely compared to the Phoenix area, but we all know that most people are out & about more during the day. One benefit to Payson is: the Rim is close by, which is more forested & cooler due to its higher elevation.

Within Arizona, the best escape for me is the White Mountains. I especially enjoy that area during the summer monsoon, and I'm going up there for about a week in August like I often do. It's not exactly a short distance from Phoenix. The drive can easily be 3 to 4 hours depending on where you end up. Even so, I still consider Arizona to be a much better place for "escapism" compared to a good part of the Midwest or South ... however, most western states are this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Denver and slc have been built up a lot in the past 20 years. So They don't cool down at nite like they used to. And upper 90s are definitely sweaty up there, they're not relaxing days at all.
Also, Denver's location is on a plain ... not in the mountains as people often mistakenly say it is. So it's actually very typical for Denver to have hot summer days (still nothing like Phoenix's heat, however). Same with Salt Lake City: there are high mountains close by, but not in the city itself.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:45 PM

993 posts, read 547,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I personally don't consider Payson or Prescott to be places to escape the heat. Afternoon high temps are usually in the 90s in both places during the summer months, and easily over 100 degrees if there's a major heat wave. Yes, it cools down at night very nicely compared to the Phoenix area, but we all know that most people are out & about more during the day. One benefit to Payson is: the Rim is close by, which is more forested & cooler due to its higher elevation.

Within Arizona, the best escape for me is the White Mountains. I especially enjoy that area during the summer monsoon, and I'm going up there for about a week in August like I often do. It's not exactly a short distance from Phoenix. The drive can easily be 3 to 4 hours depending on where you end up. Even so, I still consider Arizona to be a much better place for "escapism" compared to a good part of the Midwest or South ... however, most western states are this way.

Also, Denver's location is on a plain ... not in the mountains as people often mistakenly say it is. So it's actually very typical for Denver to have hot summer days (still nothing like Phoenix's heat, however). Same with Salt Lake City: there are high mountains close by, but not in the city itself.
Remember though that those 98 degree temps are usually only between 2pm and 6pm, the rest of the day it is quite comfortable with a cool breeze blowing, which is typical of the mountain climates I've lived in (the sun is hot but the air is cool). Mountain biking in Prescott in July is awesome!!! Phoenix in July, not so much.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:08 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Remember though that those 98 degree temps are usually only between 2pm and 6pm, the rest of the day it is quite comfortable with a cool breeze blowing, which is typical of the mountain climates I've lived in (the sun is hot but the air is cool). Mountain biking in Prescott in July is awesome!!! Phoenix in July, not so much.
Depends on the individual. I generally avoid Payson & Prescott this time of year, except for a rest stop if I'm traveling through there. Both are mid elevation towns which don't provide much in the way of heat relief. For instance: it was 112 in Phoenix yesterday, and 99 in Payson. That's not exactly a good escape in the summer when the sun is at a high intensity level (regardless of the time of day). Contrast this to a White Mountain town like Alpine or Greer, where the forecast high today is 79 degrees with a 70% chance of thundershowers. That's where I'd rather be.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:52 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,022,286 times
Still nice out west, but the big heat returns soon(tomorrow?)

Hottest time of the year for much of the west is on its way

Old 07-10-2022, 05:10 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,731,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My wife, daughter and I stayed in Phoenix June through August 2019. Honestly, we liked the temperatures. I loved it. At the time we were living in subtropical Asia, where it wasn't quite as hot, but was insanely humid. After moving back last year, we went to stay with my parents in Massachusetts. The humidity is pretty bad now, but it's better than the depressing, freezing winters. I hadn't been through one in 20 years, and damned if I'm doing it again this year. I forgot how miserable it makes me.

I'll take 110 degree Arizona heat over 35 degrees in New England or 85 in a jungle
Fellow Bay State resident here. It was the cold, long, winters that ultimately caused our family to leave Massachusetts. I am not crazy about our summer Temps here in the desert but, for me, the heat is easier to deal with than those winters. After the initial snow (which is always picturesque) I have no use for winter.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:14 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,731,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Depends on the individual. I generally avoid Payson & Prescott this time of year, except for a rest stop if I'm traveling through there. Both are mid elevation towns which don't provide much in the way of heat relief. For instance: it was 112 in Phoenix yesterday, and 99 in Payson. That's not exactly a good escape in the summer when the sun is at a high intensity level (regardless of the time of day). Contrast this to a White Mountain town like Alpine or Greer, where the forecast high today is 79 degrees with a 70% chance of thundershowers. That's where I'd rather be.
I agree. Greer and Alpine are nice summer getaways when Temps in the valley (basin) are uncomfortably high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area