Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2022, 11:02 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
How would I describe the Phx metro? Live and let live attitude. A purple state. Largely working class or blue collar where I live (Mesa.) Rush hour freeway traffic sort of like Southern Cal. but not as congested. Hot summers. Mild winters. A good place for a fresh start.

One of my nieces living in Chicago I hear is going through an unpleasant breakup. She's 27 and earns 80k a year.

I've suggest she move here esp. if she can earn roughly the same salary. The trendy areas of Tempe or Phx would be a perfect fit.
People REALLY need to stop using this comparison. We were just out in Pismo Beach last week and had to drive through Los Angeles during rush hour. Even taking the 210 through Pasadena to 101 was backed up for miles. Our traffic is NOTHING like Southern California. We just have fewer choices of freeways to get to a certain destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 11:17 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
People REALLY need to stop using this comparison. We were just out in Pismo Beach last week and had to drive through Los Angeles during rush hour. Even taking the 210 through Pasadena to 101 was backed up for miles. Our traffic is NOTHING like Southern California. We just have fewer choices of freeways to get to a certain destination.
I'm was referring to Southern Cal in general. My experience with driving in S. Cal has been the closer I get to LA the more the traffic backs up. The same with leaving LA and heading South. Between 3-7 p.m. for example is a a crawl.

But the freeway traffic in San Diego and the surrounding areas aren't too bad.

Last edited by john3232; 08-10-2022 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-10-2022, 11:20 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean if you leave LA on any Friday night going eastbound around 8 PM, you will be stuck in i-210 traffic around Pasadena going 5 MPH? Ask me how I know.

Around specific spots near LA, you only can dodge daily rush hour from about 10:30 am to 1:30 pm and it gets congested again. Therefore, comparing PHX area traffic to LA is like comparing apples to brussel sprouts. I suppose we could because each contains vitamin C. lol

I'm not referring to anyone in specific. But you are right. Re: traffic. there is absolutely no comparison. Even the Bay Area traffic is childsplay in comparison. LA has won the well-deserved award of the "world's worst traffic" for many years in a row. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...206-story.html

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-10-2022 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-10-2022, 11:45 AM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Default LA is 4x as big.

Quote:
For starters the whole LA area is thousands of square miles and many more millions of people.

Adding to it is their freeways don't have any more lanes than ours and they're old.

If I remember right, Phoenix didn't build freeways until about 30 years ago. Our system is newer and easier to navigate.

These are just some reasons why LA traffic issues are massive and Phoenix traffic is sometimes congested but manageable.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:47 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Oh, you mean if you leave LA on any Friday night going eastbound around 8 PM, you will be stuck in i-210 traffic around Pasadena going 5 MPH? Ask me how I know.

Around specific spots near LA, you only can dodge daily rush hour from about 10:30 am to 1:30 pm and it gets congested again. Therefore, comparing PHX area traffic to LA is like comparing apples to brussel sprouts. I suppose we could because each contains vitamin C. lol

I'm not referring to anyone in specific. But you are right. Re: traffic. there is absolutely no comparison. Even the Bay Area traffic is childsplay in comparison. LA has won the well-deserved award of the "world's worst traffic" for many years in a row. https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...206-story.html
Or if you have a 9AM meeting in Santa Monica and have to leave Anaheim Hills at 6AM? So glad I was visiting and not living there.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:48 AM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Default No problem in San Diego.

Quote:
I'm was referring to Southern Cal in general. My experience with driving in S. Cal has been the closer I get to LA the more the traffic backs up. The same with leaving LA and heading South. Between 3-7 p.m. for example is a a crawl.

But the freeway traffic in San Diego and the surrounding areas aren't too bad.
San Diego traffic is light compared to both LA and Phoenix.

It's a breeze to drive around San Diego, forget anywhere in LA or even Orange County.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Or if you have a 9AM meeting in Santa Monica and have to leave Anaheim Hills at 6AM? So glad I was visiting and not living there.
If you leave now (and because it is 11 AM), it's 1 hour and 4 minutes. But if you leave around 2PM, double it. I don't know how people do it. I'd go nuts with that kind of traffic.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:09 PM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Me either. If you read my note differently, you misread it. I said that there is a correlation between money spent and services. And when companies spend more money on staff, you get better caliber employees. In just one example of many, let's observe the caliber of Costco staff members as compared to Sam's Club employees doing the same job. IMO, it's not close. That doesn't mean there are not worthless staff at Costco or incredible workers at Sam's. But it correlates. The only question is how much it correlates. In stats, it's called the correlation coefficient.

Stereotypes often happen because correlations are observed. And it's easy to prove correlations exist specifically related to income. You spend more on a property, you have more $ to take care of it (and people might be more particular about cosmetics with their property). Parents who make more money generally were smarter or worked harder. I'm not talking about an example of someone who inherited money. Nor am I dissing a down-to-earth family from Indiana who works hard for their money. I'm saying show me an upper-middle-class neighborhood and compare it to the town I grew up in and there will be vast differences in brainpower, how people act, etc. ON average (a.k.a. a correlation). It is what it is and it shouldn't be up for debate. Follow the money. I'm not snubbing my nose at anyone. I am doing my best to dodge as many knuckleheads as possible. And there are a lot of them roaming this country.

No question a waiter or waitress will kiss ass big time working in high end restaurant where the bill is often in the hundred of dollars. In Pacific Palisades even picking up a pizza requires a nice tip. The same with Starbucks. You see a lot more smiles and eagerness from Starbuck employees than where I live because patrons are quick to toss in a few bucks.

Now... are those living in Pacific Palisades or the posh areas of N. Cal on average smarter than those in E. Mesa? Anecdotal speaking I would say yes. Working as a cooperate lawyer, making it big in country music, inking a 30 million dollar deal with Dream Works production usually require smarts.

But perhaps more important are such people any happier than the large family gatherings I see in Red Mountain park celebrating a child's first birthday, grandmothers birthday or a girls sweet sixteen coming out party? I'm not sure. (To be clear I'm not suggesting you feel money equals happiness.)

On the other hand rock legend David Lee Roth once said, "Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy a yacht big enough to dock along side it." So there you have it.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:14 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
When I lived in North Phoenix/Scottsdale, natives used to tell me how before the 101 was built, people would drive 70-75 mph on the east-west streets (Bell, etc.) Some of them felt that many people haven't gotten out of the habit even after the 101 was built. IMO the drivers are mostly reacting to the backups on the 101 during rush hour.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
No question a waiter or waitress will kiss ass big time working in high end restaurant where the bill is often in the hundred of dollars. In Pacific Palisades even picking up a pizza requires a nice tip. The same with Starbucks. You see a lot more smiles and eagerness from Starbuck employees than where I live because patrons are quick to toss in a few bucks.
I wasn't necessarily thinking about "high end". Rather, higher end. Higher end places have the money to hire better-caliber people. Call it brainpower or a better work ethic or more polished communication skills or a higher education or ________... Or maybe the combination. Whatever it reason, I prefer it over the last place I lived.

Quote:
But perhaps more important are such people any happier than the large family gatherings I see in Red Mountain park celebrating a child's first birthday, grandmothers birthday or a girls sweet sixteen coming out party? I'm not sure. (To be clear I'm not suggesting you feel money equals happiness.)
Agreed. Money cannot buy you happiness. But not having enough money can make your life miserable. Once you have more money than you need, you just have a better garage sale.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-10-2022 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area