Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 04:26 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,266,875 times

Advertisements

The ice rink is back this year. That's something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 12:55 AM

578 posts, read 566,361 times
I drove through Phoenix earlier this year and visited downtown at night. I was amazed at the many bars and restaurants and streets filled with people. It wasn't exactly London, but as other posters have said they've made an impressive start. It actually felt a bit like Fort Lauderdale spring break to me, I guess because it was mostly young people with big crowds overflowing out of sort of neon-looking, loud bars and clubs.

I love the pictures posted above of the bungalows repurposed into restaurants with outoor seating. There are so many other examples from around the country. Downtown Memphis is right on the cusp of developing a true vibe, and the key is brick warehouses turned into a whole neighborhood of apartments and little one and two-story brick buildings with storefronts for restaurants, galleries and shops. The newest ingredient is fixing up a really nice landscaped park by the river.

So from a single point, you've got Beale Street, the Peabody Hotel, baseball stadium, basketball arena, the Orpheum performing arts center, South Main/ South Front Street authentic neighborhood (brick), the Main Street pedestrian mall, some groovy new boutique hotels, and the nice riverfront park.

Once they have finished the giant parking garage right in the center and the riverside park, I think downtown Memphis will finally have a single spot that feels like a genuine complete package rather than just a random set of disconnected attractions. It might even be kind of cool.

Nashville has Broadway which is several blocks of turn of the century brick buildings converted into country music venues and bars. Oxford, Mississippi has the Square which is so adorable is painful. Ocean Springs, Mississippi has downtown streets lined with a canopy of giant live oaks, amid quaint restaurants and outdoor patios, with a sort of coastal, magazine vibe.

The thing with Phoenix is they keep doing the plastic architecture and wide streets, as if brick and wood can't be imported into Arizona. it's the combination of architecture and streetscapes and human-scale, defined outdoor spaces that have boundaries which create a sense of place which draw people in to walk and linger. And, a true mixture of buildings and businesses that makes it feel real, as opposed to another outdoor mall. It can totally be done; they just need someone with good taste in charge.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:42 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
The thing with Phoenix is they keep doing the plastic architecture and wide streets, as if brick and wood can't be imported into Arizona. it's the combination of architecture and streetscapes and human-scale, defined outdoor spaces that have boundaries which create a sense of place which draw people in to walk and linger. And, a true mixture of buildings and businesses that makes it feel real, as opposed to another outdoor mall. It can totally be done; they just need someone with good taste in charge.
Roosevelt Row is exactly what you described. Old Town Scottsdale and Tempe's Mill Avenue are other busy areas which have a fair amount of those characteristics. I would hardly call downtown Phoenix "plastic architecture". What it needs more of is true skyscrapers consisting of steel, concrete, and glass. Brick is used mostly for lower rise structures, and I don't know why anybody suggests using wood here. I've seen a few new apartments under construction with wood frames, and it makes me cringe because our region has a problem with subterranean termites. It's also much more flammable.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:18 AM

717 posts, read 1,059,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I drove through Phoenix earlier this year and visited downtown at night. I was amazed at the many bars and restaurants and streets filled with people. It wasn't exactly London, but as other posters have said they've made an impressive start. It actually felt a bit like Fort Lauderdale spring break to me, I guess because it was mostly young people with big crowds overflowing out of sort of neon-looking, loud bars and clubs.

I love the pictures posted above of the bungalows repurposed into restaurants with outoor seating. There are so many other examples from around the country. Downtown Memphis is right on the cusp of developing a true vibe, and the key is brick warehouses turned into a whole neighborhood of apartments and little one and two-story brick buildings with storefronts for restaurants, galleries and shops. The newest ingredient is fixing up a really nice landscaped park by the river.

So from a single point, you've got Beale Street, the Peabody Hotel, baseball stadium, basketball arena, the Orpheum performing arts center, South Main/ South Front Street authentic neighborhood (brick), the Main Street pedestrian mall, some groovy new boutique hotels, and the nice riverfront park.

Once they have finished the giant parking garage right in the center and the riverside park, I think downtown Memphis will finally have a single spot that feels like a genuine complete package rather than just a random set of disconnected attractions. It might even be kind of cool.

Nashville has Broadway which is several blocks of turn of the century brick buildings converted into country music venues and bars. Oxford, Mississippi has the Square which is so adorable is painful. Ocean Springs, Mississippi has downtown streets lined with a canopy of giant live oaks, amid quaint restaurants and outdoor patios, with a sort of coastal, magazine vibe.

Those charming bungalows you reference are rapidly being bulldozed and replaced with cheap, generic mid rise apartment boxes that have all the charm and character of an Arby’s. The more popular downtown gets the more it’s attractive qualities get stripped away in pursuit of money above all else. Phoenix has done an unforgivably horrible job of historical preservation, and the powers that be show no signs of changing this.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:08 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Those charming bungalows you reference are rapidly being bulldozed and replaced with cheap, generic mid rise apartment boxes that have all the charm and character of an Arby’s. The more popular downtown gets the more it’s attractive qualities get stripped away in pursuit of money above all else. Phoenix has done an unforgivably horrible job of historical preservation, and the powers that be show no signs of changing this.

Which ones are being bulldozed? I've only seen more reopen with new eateries, art galleries, etc.. Most of the apartments going in are being built on empty lots. Like The Stewart and Link.

Old 12-21-2022, 02:03 PM

68 posts, read 45,730 times
During a conversation the other night, I had a realization about how Phoenix can become a place people want to hang out in, a true urban center.

Important to cities is the idea of a 3rd place - a place beyond work and home where people can linger and connect. (This is beyond outdoor shopping malls which is all Valley cities apparently know how to build.)

I spent many of my formative years in and around Philadelphia, which was built around the concept of squares (parks). One of my favorite parts of the city is Rittenhouse, which is a large park that holds various events and that on a summer day is filled with people relaxing, reading, talking, playing music and games. They even have chess tables where people sit and play chess.

Bordering the park are a variety of restaurants with sidewalk cafes, stores and of course office spaces and apartments.

Think of New York and some of the prime real estate is near Central Park, which also functions as a third space.

Phoenix needs the same. A large centrally located park with turf, trees, benches and walking paths. This area needs to host events - with standards. Not the 5th-grade art project level of First Friday, but events with standards. Think how Scottsdale does all the events on the Waterfront. Culinary festivals, music, art fairs, etc. Then incentivize developers to renovate existing buildings instead of tear them down and create high architectural standards for new buildings, ensuring they’re beautiful and not horrific boxes that are cheap to build but destroy the soul of a city.

Development also needs to be truly mixed use to encourage the work / live / play dynamic of a real city. First floor shops and offices, offices or residential on upper floors.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:25 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaysway View Post
During a conversation the other night, I had a realization about how Phoenix can become a place people want to hang out in, a true urban center.

Important to cities is the idea of a 3rd place - a place beyond work and home where people can linger and connect. (This is beyond outdoor shopping malls which is all Valley cities apparently know how to build.)

I spent many of my formative years in and around Philadelphia, which was built around the concept of squares (parks). One of my favorite parts of the city is Rittenhouse, which is a large park that holds various events and that on a summer day is filled with people relaxing, reading, talking, playing music and games. They even have chess tables where people sit and play chess.

Bordering the park are a variety of restaurants with sidewalk cafes, stores and of course office spaces and apartments.

Think of New York and some of the prime real estate is near Central Park, which also functions as a third space.

Phoenix needs the same. A large centrally located park with turf, trees, benches and walking paths. This area needs to host events - with standards. Not the 5th-grade art project level of First Friday, but events with standards. Think how Scottsdale does all the events on the Waterfront. Culinary festivals, music, art fairs, etc. Then incentivize developers to renovate existing buildings instead of tear them down and create high architectural standards for new buildings, ensuring they’re beautiful and not horrific boxes that are cheap to build but destroy the soul of a city.

Development also needs to be truly mixed use to encourage the work / live / play dynamic of a real city. First floor shops and offices, offices or residential on upper floors.
We have to remember that eastern cities like Philadelphia & NYC are a lot different than western cities like Phoenix. Now that I think about it, Los Angeles doesn't have any notable parks of this kind either. One that comes to mind is MacArthur Park, which isn't in the heart of downtown, and it's hardly a safe gathering place. My understanding is it's riddled with homeless & drugs.

I know what you're saying, though. Phoenix has Margaret T. Hance Park, which I believe could have been made into something like what you described. Problem is, it's bordered on the north by historic residential areas, so there's no chance of tearing through those neighborhoods to build apartments, eateries, or anything else. There was an opportunity to have this on the south side of the park, but they opted for midrise residential units instead (Portland Street). There's also Civic Space Park, but it's not anything close to the concept of Central Park.

I would very much like to see tall buildings with high architectural standards. The best area for that to happen, I believe, is near Roosevelt Row. There are some newer highrises mixed in around there, but they're generally in the 20 to 30 story range, and I'm not sure how high the construction standards are. What's needed are some taller towers exceeding 50 stories, and they should be unique designs that could be considered iconic.

Old 12-27-2022, 10:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We have to remember that eastern cities like Philadelphia & NYC are a lot different than western cities like Phoenix. Now that I think about it, Los Angeles doesn't have any notable parks of this kind either. One that comes to mind is MacArthur Park, which isn't in the heart of downtown, and it's hardly a safe gathering place. My understanding is it's riddled with homeless & drugs.

I know what you're saying, though. Phoenix has Margaret T. Hance Park, which I believe could have been made into something like what you described. Problem is, it's bordered on the north by historic residential areas, so there's no chance of tearing through those neighborhoods to build apartments, eateries, or anything else. There was an opportunity to have this on the south side of the park, but they opted for midrise residential units instead (Portland Street). There's also Civic Space Park, but it's not anything close to the concept of Central Park.

I would very much like to see tall buildings with high architectural standards. The best area for that to happen, I believe, is near Roosevelt Row. There are some newer highrises mixed in around there, but they're generally in the 20 to 30 story range, and I'm not sure how high the construction standards are. What's needed are some taller towers exceeding 50 stories, and they should be unique designs that could be considered iconic.

Central Park is fairly massive, it's over 834 acres. By comparison Hance park is 32... Encanto is much larger at >200 acres but it's not super close to downtown. As for Hance, they're certainly making some great improvements to the park with the upgrades Phoenix has going on. https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/hancerevitalization

Boston Common by comparison is only 44 acres, it's fairly active and fairly densely developed although from what I recall it isn't super connected to the buildings around it, I don't remember any restaurants directly connected to the park etc...

Old 01-01-2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

LA has Santa Monica with the Pier, Venice with the walkways and beaches with outdoor gyms, and so many other beaches.

That’s the hard thing with the Valley in general. There’s nowhere to just go hang out except the mall or maybe a coffee shop.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Central Park is fairly massive, it's over 834 acres. By comparison Hance park is 32... Encanto is much larger at >200 acres but it's not super close to downtown. As for Hance, they're certainly making some great improvements to the park with the upgrades Phoenix has going on. https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/hancerevitalization

Boston Common by comparison is only 44 acres, it's fairly active and fairly densely developed although from what I recall it isn't super connected to the buildings around it, I don't remember any restaurants directly connected to the park etc...
Smaller would be fine - even just a few city blocks. Rittenhouse in Philly is super small. You can easily see from one end to the other. Maybe 6 or 8 city blocks?

I was referring more to the idea of a common gathering place where people can meet and socialize, and events can be held, even if it’s small.

The Valley in general needs a better job of doing that. Even the Waterfront in Scottsdale. I never understood why there aren’t more restaurants and shops overlooking the canal. Would be so nice to walk along those paths, mosey in and out of shops, grab a bite to eat, or drink coffee looking at the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area