Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM

369 posts, read 2,165,473 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new user to this site. I just stumbled upon it, thanks to google. Seems like an informative site, as I have learned a lot of interesting things about Phoenix while browsing the last 15 minutes.

I know this question has probably come up a million times.. If so, I'm really sorry for the re-post.

here go's:

What are the best parts (to buy a home) in the Phoenix area? I'm a 23 year old male, that just moved here to AZ from MASS. So far I like it. Currently, I'm living in Queen Creek...

Queen Creek seems nice. I noticed a lot of houses brand new that are realllly cheap. The thing I hate about QC is, there is nothing to do, and it takes forever to get to Phoenix... Bad traffic...Just seems to far off the beaten path for me!

I would like to buy my first home in the next 12-24 months. I just don't know where I should be looking. I'd like to spend under $200,000.. Really I'd like to spend under $150,000... I'd love to be able to take advantage of all of these foreclosures, and short sales.... I just don't know the area to well...

In your opinion, what are the best parts of the valley? I'd like a decent sized home, with some what of a yard, at a reasonable price.. This is where I plan to settle down, and eventually start a family.. I guess I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck..

I like sports, concerts, and a lot of other stuff the city has to offer.. I'd love to stay away from crime... Live in an area known for its good school system..

I know it's such a vague question.. but if you had to put together a list of decent, affordable areas, what would be on your list? So far I've read good things about central Phoenix.. Peoria.. Gilbert... but still clueless..

Someone set me in the right direction.. So I can start checking out these neighborhoods myself. Thank you in advance, I cant wait to read your replies!!

-Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
for the price you want to pay, you might want to look around in the "paradise valley" and "deer valley" areas of north central phx. There may not be much available for 150 - 200 that is not a "fix up", but better to buy a fix up in a good neighborhood than something in a more marginal area. I LOVE the close in historic districts, but they are PRICEY. Maybe you can find a "fix up" deal in one of those.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 PM

93 posts, read 339,165 times
Check the Tempe area for land trust homes. This area is safe, fun, and central to pretty much everything in town. If your income is low enough you can qualify for some pretty decent real estate at firesale prices, but probably not below 200,000 for a free-standing safe structure! This is only for owner-occupied by the way. Good luck...anything west of QC is going to get you closer to where the action is.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
for the price you want to pay, you might want to look around in the "paradise valley" and "deer valley" areas of north central phx. There may not be much available for 150 - 200 that is not a "fix up", but better to buy a fix up in a good neighborhood than something in a more marginal area. I LOVE the close in historic districts, but they are PRICEY. Maybe you can find a "fix up" deal in one of those.
Not much of this post makes sense to me. The PV "AREA", which is really the PV Mall area, is NOT part of N. Central Phx. It is NE Phx. The same for Deer Valley, it's not in N. Central Phx (it's N. Phx or NW Phx). The PV area has kept it's value up and anything less than $200k will be a really crappy part of it (marginal area, as you called it). I grew up here (20+ yrs), so I know all about the area.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
is there any bad areas of tempe? I've seen a lot of fix up homes in tempe for 150-200K. Just wondering.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,531 times
If you can find a cheap house then East Phoenix. You would be close to downtown Scottsdale, downtown Tempe, and downtown Phoenix.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 AM

79 posts, read 387,790 times
The houses in QC sell for around 15o K and there is a reason for it: it is way out in the wild. Therefore, any house you find for that price nearer to Phoenix must be in a very bad neighborhood or in a very bad shape or both.

Face it, for that price you won't find anything decent in the center of all the action. Not even a decent apartment sells for that price in the good areas of Phoenix, Snobsdale, Gilbert, Chandler or Tempe.

Recently I browsed the MLS and found an interesting formula: starting in QC, moving step by step towards downtown Tempe and therefore Phoenix, you could approximately say that each mile closer meant $ 10k more in house prices. So a comparable house that sold in QC for 150K would cost 200K 5miles closer to the city.

If you want to live where you say you want, you probably have to come up with at least around 300K for a house the age and size of what is usually offered in QC.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Not much of this post makes sense to me. The PV "AREA", which is really the PV Mall area, is NOT part of N. Central Phx. It is NE Phx. The same for Deer Valley, it's not in N. Central Phx (it's N. Phx or NW Phx). The PV area has kept it's value up and anything less than $200k will be a really crappy part of it (marginal area, as you called it). I grew up here (20+ yrs), so I know all about the area.
it is entirely possible that I am not using the legally correct terminology. . .
"North", to me, means north of Northern Ave, "Central", a bit more amibuoius, but basically between I 17 and 56th Street. . . . . I also live in this area, and have for the past 30 + years. . . . There are homes available in the O.P.'s price range available, most may need a bit of "fix up", cosmetic or otherwise, also lots and lots of homes that are in a much higher bracket. . . . staying away from "the square" (cave creek to 32nd, bell to Greenway) tends to keep one in pretty good neighborhoods, not that any neighborhood is "perfect". . . .

Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
it is entirely possible that I am not using the legally correct terminology. . .
"North", to me, means north of Northern Ave, "Central", a bit more amibuoius, but basically between I 17 and 56th Street. . . . . I also live in this area, and have for the past 30 + years. . . . There are homes available in the O.P.'s price range available, most may need a bit of "fix up", cosmetic or otherwise, also lots and lots of homes that are in a much higher bracket. . . . staying away from "the square" (cave creek to 32nd, bell to Greenway) tends to keep one in pretty good neighborhoods, not that any neighborhood is "perfect". . . .
Yeah, I definitely agree to stay away from the square. Central is definitely not as far as 56th st, it's more around SR51 (actually a bit east of there), but the term "central" doesn't pertain when you go more north of around Northern. Someone posted a great post explaining this concept before. North Central Phx doesn't extend much past Northern as well. After that, it's North Phx or North East Phx.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Yeah, I definitely agree to stay away from the square. Central is definitely not as far as 56th st, it's more around SR51 (actually a bit east of there), but the term "central" doesn't pertain when you go more north of around Northern. Someone posted a great post explaining this concept before. North Central Phx doesn't extend much past Northern as well. After that, it's North Phx or North East Phx.
OK, thanks for the explaination. . . .I definatly did not mean the North Central neighborhood, (central ave from Glendale to the canal), That is a bit pricey for those of "moderate" means! C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area