Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 04:33 AM

186 posts, read 134,061 times

Advertisements

I worked at Walgreen's for 6 moths and part of our training was that we were not allowed to confront a shoplifter, even if caught red handed. Many retail stores have this policy. The only thing we were allowed to do is follow them to their car and jot down their license plate number. So, yes, they were allowed to walk right out the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 07:17 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
No, the DA's political opponents claimed that, but it was a gross mischaracterization. The DA merely opposed racist policies.

Also, the shoplifting claims, which Walgreens later walked back, were an attempt justify their previously planned store closings in poor areas.
A part of that is because retail employees don't bother to report shoplifting to the police, especially when the police won't do anything except maybe file a report. I just went to court as a witness for felony shoplifting, the thief got a slap on the wrist consisting of a plea deal for a misdemeanor, with 10 days served and probation. Big whoop, not any kind of deterrent to these repeat criminals.
Concerning the retractions from Walgreens, they walked it back because it generated some negative publicity.
I'm on the frontline in retail, I promise you shoplifting has taken off in a major way over the last several years, regardless of how the boys in their ivory towers want to spin things.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:08 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
I worked at Walgreen's for 6 moths and part of our training was that we were not allowed to confront a shoplifter, even if caught red handed. Many retail stores have this policy. The only thing we were allowed to do is follow them to their car and jot down their license plate number. So, yes, they were allowed to walk right out the door.
And then -- after jotting down their license plate number -- what were you trained to do?

Old 03-16-2023, 09:09 AM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I had to get a few things at Target today while shopping I noticed two males in their teens maybe early 20s walk up to the Deli and take a few items off the hot case and walk out of the store like it was nothing.

A few minutes later another individual rode one of those scooters for the handicapped full of merchandise out of the store. Granted the loss prevention person caught them and took the stuff back but no consequences for the thief or thieves.

Seems every week I go to this store I see thieves mostly vagrants/druggies walking out with items without the security people or the employees doing anything to stop it.

I did ask a few of the employees what is going on I was informed management has told them they cannot apprehend or touch any of the thieves and that because the store is insured it's not a big priority for the store I was floored say what? Are you telling me theft is now no big deal at Target? the employee also said it's because of covid.

I remember back in the day Target used to crack down big time on thieve-stacking them and arresting them. They also used to have police officers throughout the store. You don't see them anymore either.

It's not just Target I saw a vagrant walk out of Safeway with a fruit basket the security woman saw him and just shrug her shoulders as he walked out of the store.

No wonder prices at the store are through the roof.

Well, if it that easy than case store security isn't doing their job.

In AZ store security is allowed to detain someone suspected of shoplifting. Telling employees not to put their hands on a suspected shoplifter isn't anything new. But why would store security ignore someone suspected of stealing as they walked out the door?

C. A merchant, or a merchant's agent or employee, with reasonable cause, may detain on the premises in a reasonable manner and for a reasonable time any person who is suspected of shoplifting as prescribed in subsection A of this section for questioning or summoning a law enforcement officer.
https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/01805.htm

ARIZONA’S SHOPKEER PRIVILEGE
Store owners, and their employees, with reasonable cause, may detain suspected shoplifters in a reasonable manner, and for a reasonable time, in order to question them and summon the police. Constitutional issues don’t typically apply to the actions of store employees; however, if they’re acting under the direction of law enforcement, constitutional protections do apply.

TRESPASS FROM STORE PROPERTY
Many stores have trespass forms that advise suspected shoplifters that they’re trespassed from the property. Suspected shoplifters should take these serious. If you return to a store after being asked to not come back, the police may be summoned and you’ll likely be arrested for criminal trespass. Regardless of an investigation’s outcome, it’s advisable to never return to that store.
https://tobinlawoffice.com/arizona-s...20the%20police.

Last edited by john3232; 03-16-2023 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2023, 08:10 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
And then what? Play a game of "spot the license plate"? Retailers need to be hiring security guards who will actually do their jobs and detain the crooks on the spot, call the police and have them arrested. Even if the police won't do much with them, the store's management has every right to ban them from entering the store in the future. Security cameras are all over the place, so there's absolutely no reason why these criminals should even be allowed near the place of business! Refusal do anything only encourages criminal behavior. Shoplifting causes an influx of insurance claims, which results in higher rates & prices. We all pay in the end for shoplifting, and laziness!

Old 03-17-2023, 03:52 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
Who is the real thief????
In fiscal year 2022, the U.S. drugstore chain Walgreens generated net earnings of about four billion U.S. dollars, and gross profit of over 28 billion U.S. dollars.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2005/

Old 03-18-2023, 11:02 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Who is the real thief????
In fiscal year 2022, the U.S. drugstore chain Walgreens generated net earnings of about four billion U.S. dollars, and gross profit of over 28 billion U.S. dollars.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2005/
When you consider that CVS regularly sends me electronic coupons for 25% or, more often 40% off a single item, it helps to put in perspective what a store actually loses due to shoplifting. Store profits on individual items are often HUGE. The loss is often not as severe as it first appears to be.

I am not saying shoplifting is not WRONG, and I believe stores should combat it.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:44 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When you consider that CVS regularly sends me electronic coupons for 25% or, more often 40% off a single item, it helps to put in perspective what a store actually loses due to shoplifting. Store profits on individual items are often HUGE. The loss is often not as severe as it first appears to be.

I am not saying shoplifting is not WRONG, and I believe stores should combat it.

I thought perhaps there might be an AZ law which prevents store security from detaining someone caught stealing but no. A person steals and is caught they can be detained.

If Target, CVS or Walgreens in downtown Phx have security. Yet, nothing (for whatever the reason) is done when a person walks out without paying....expect the problem to grow.

The Fry's food store on McKellips and Recker in Mesa takes action. One day I noticed a sign on the self-check machine. Please keep your receipt. You may be asked to show it. Not too long ago I was leaving the store around 9 pm when I noticed two Mesa Sheriff’s portal cars in the parking lot with lights flashing.

The officers, store manager (I assume) and a several people were standing next to a shopping cart loaded with food. They were d looking at what I suspect was a reciept.

Last edited by john3232; 03-18-2023 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2023, 02:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 2,725,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I thought perhaps there might be an AZ law which prevents store security from detaining someone caught stealing but no. A person steals and is caught they can be detained.

If Target, CVS or Walgreens in downtown Phx have security. Yet, nothing (for whatever the reason) is done when a person walks out without paying....expect the problem to grow.

The Fry's food store on McKellips and Recker in Mesa takes action. One day I noticed a sign on the self-check machine. Please keep your receipt. You may be asked to show it. Not too long ago I was leaving the store around 9 pm when I noticed two Mesa Sheriff’s portal cars in the parking lot with lights flashing.

The officers, store manager (I assume) and a several people were standing next to a shopping cart loaded with food. They were d looking at what I suspect was a reciept.
That is what they should be doing at the stores mentioned that have a lot of theft. Check everyones receipt have a police presence.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
That is what they should be doing at the stores mentioned that have a lot of theft. Check everyones receipt have a police presence.

Are you ok with paying more in taxes to try to recruit and fund more police?

The answer to this problem is not the police. It's to lessen the wealth gap. People are only stealing because they feel like they need to to make bills. Crime comes from poverty. And when I say crime I mean almost all crime. Theft, domestic violence, etc. Poverty is growing by the day. Remember the wealth gap now is worse in the US than it was in pre-revolution France. If you think that could be completely ignored by video games, social media, and leave no effects on our daily lives is cute. Being in a gated community and/or trying to avoid your burden to contribute to society by living in or supporting tax havens (US corporations, retirees with money going to live in places with no property tax to avoid paying for education to lift people out of poverty, etc.) is only exacerbating these issues. Only an ignoramus would think these individual behaviors, exponentially increased to a macro scale, won't affect the world around you. And it's cute to think that this lack of hope and the desperation of many for something better, reducing mental health, leading to more violent crimes or robberies, isn't coming from some greater issue.

Most people want to do the right thing. Most people want to live a not horrible life. People will find ways to make the best of their situation. If you are not giving them valid and legal channels to live something decent and happy then they will find a way around that. People who do despite already having that life, completely controlled by greed, will ruin it for others, and they need checks and balances. This is what the law is for. The law needs to control greed just as much if not more than what it does to fight what greed creates (homeless and poverty).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area