Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 11:26 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,730,079 times

Advertisements

I had to get a few things at Target today while shopping I noticed two males in their teens maybe early 20s walk up to the Deli and take a few items off the hot case and walk out of the store like it was nothing.

A few minutes later another individual rode one of those scooters for the handicapped full of merchandise out of the store. Granted the loss prevention person caught them and took the stuff back but no consequences for the thief or thieves.

Seems every week I go to this store I see thieves mostly vagrants/druggies walking out with items without the security people or the employees doing anything to stop it.

I did ask a few of the employees what is going on I was informed management has told them they cannot apprehend or touch any of the thieves and that because the store is insured it's not a big priority for the store I was floored say what? Are you telling me theft is now no big deal at Target? the employee also said it's because of covid.

I remember back in the day Target used to crack down big time on thieve-stacking them and arresting them. They also used to have police officers throughout the store. You don't see them anymore either.

It's not just Target I saw a vagrant walk out of Safeway with a fruit basket the security woman saw him and just shrug her shoulders as he walked out of the store.

No wonder prices at the store are through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 05:05 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
A few weeks ago saw a guy casually stroll out of a Lowes with an expensive chainsaw. The guy is such an habitual shoplifter that the store employees even know his name. The loss prevention officer simply called out his name and begged him to put down the chainsaw. He kept walking and with a big smile hit the parking lot where the store employees had to stop following him.

After I witnessed this I asked the loss prevention officer about it and they told me that this particular guy hits the store a few times a week, grabs the most expensive tools he can grab and simply walks a block down to the nearby pawn shop.

The Walgreens across the street finally just closed it's doors in response to the shoplifting.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:13 AM

13,765 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Here in East Mesa the Fry store on Rucker and McKellips doesn’t have a big problem because they nipped it in the bud.

During Covid people were ringing up food at the self-checkout and walking out without paying. One time I called after the person in front of me when I noticed th checkout machine had the items he purchased still on the screen. He gave me a nasty look as an employee walked over to help.

I thought I was doing the guy a favor. I thought he ran his card through, and it might be still active. But no. He wasn't planning to pay or hoped I wouldn't notice and add his items to my bill. However, this store is hip to that. They have people watching and if a person attempts to walk out without paying they will be stopped and if need be the police called. Theft is not out of control because it’s not tolerated.

The same with the Home Depot up the street. They watch people as they leave. If someone is panhandling or mulling around the parking lot they will be told it’s private property. Time to leave.

The Red Mountain Park which is nearby is the same. You want to get high near the lake and/or sleep on a bench. Well, the Mesa Sheriff's department will have a talk with you. There is a sign. This park is closed after 10 pm. Just not worth the hassle.

Better to go to somewhere else.

Last edited by john3232; 03-15-2023 at 06:38 AM..

Old 03-15-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
A few weeks ago saw a guy casually stroll out of a Lowes with an expensive chainsaw. The guy is such an habitual shoplifter that the store employees even know his name. The loss prevention officer simply called out his name and begged him to put down the chainsaw. He kept walking and with a big smile hit the parking lot where the store employees had to stop following him.

After I witnessed this I asked the loss prevention officer about it and they told me that this particular guy hits the store a few times a week, grabs the most expensive tools he can grab and simply walks a block down to the nearby pawn shop.

The Walgreens across the street finally just closed it's doors in response to the shoplifting.

And why not? Plenty of people will walkout of Loews with a power tool or push a cart with food out the door at Fry's without paying if they know there will be no repercussions.

If it's tolerated there are people who will take advantage.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:40 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
And why not? Plenty of people will walkout of Loews with a power tool or push a cart with food out the door at Fry's without paying if they know there will be no repercussions.

If it's tolerated there are people who will take advantage.
And then seem shocked that the neighborhood Walgreens which had the only pharmacy within a two mile walkable radius for low income residents shut down.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
And then seem shocked that the neighborhood Walgreens which had the only pharmacy within a two mile walkable radius for low income residents shut down.
I just hope they don't start shutting down stores in Phoenix because of rampant theft as they did in Portland.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:55 AM

219 posts, read 177,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post

I did ask a few of the employees what is going on I was informed management has told them they cannot apprehend or touch any of the thieves and that because the store is insured it's not a big priority for the store I was floored say what? Are you telling me theft is now no big deal at Target? the employee also said it's because of covid.
Covid strikes again....lol

Old 03-15-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
They shouldn't be.

I am completely devastated by this news - this Walgreens is less than a mile from seven schools and has been a staple for seniors, families and children for decades. This closure will significantly impact this community.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...-16527801.phpI

Old 03-15-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I'd hope the Pawn shop would recognize the merchandise is stolen and either fill out a police report or return it to the store.

I know they have to hold items for some time just in case it's stolen.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:54 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Some retailing as we know it is bound to shut the doors from this as the issue of shoplifting is, for some stores, a tipping point beyond which they cannot absorb any more losses and still stay profitable. Finding enough workers to fill retail job vacancies is also becoming an issue. Advantage here goes to home delivery retailers like Amazon, Walmart, etc, and/or any security firms who can figure out how to stop shoplifting and/or organized massive thefts.

Theft is not the real problem, theft is a symptom of the real problem, primarily drug addiction and secondarily the lack of our industrial base which had decent paying jobs for masses of workers. Closing retail stores will stop theft of merchandise, the drug addicted will switch to other crimes to get money, so more people can expect to be robbed on the street at gunpoint since guns are spreading faster than a Flu and police forces are shrinking from low pay. Greatest country on earth, so I'm told, but no, I'm not leaving, just living further out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-15-2023 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area