Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Phoenix become the #2 city of the western US?
Yes 11 15.71%
No 59 84.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 05:35 PM

7,503 posts, read 4,349,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I agree, love PHX and the entire state. Most people know very little about the various corners of this state and all of the amazing scenery, towns, and history in State 48. I don't see myself living anywhere else.

Especially some people from the Northeast. Not us I've always wanted to live in the Great American Southwest, Arizona in particular. Now it feels as though we were born and raised here. We're proud of our adopted state and proud to call it home.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 03-30-2023 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 06:03 PM

189 posts, read 196,318 times
Maricopa County remained the largest-gaining county in the nation, adding 56,831 residents in 2022. Pinal County also was one of the top growing counties by percentage.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...-counties.html

Old 03-31-2023, 09:39 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad09 View Post
Maricopa County remained the largest-gaining county in the nation, adding 56,831 residents in 2022. Pinal County also was one of the top growing counties by percentage.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...-counties.html

Here we grow again...

Old 03-31-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

Especially some people from the Northeast. Not us I've always wanted to live in the Great American Southwest, Arizona in particular. Now it feels as though we were born and raised here. We're proud of our adopted state and proud to call it home.
I lived in the Northeast for about 4 years for a career growth opportunity, it was fun to experience it but I realized fairly quickly that it wasn't for me. I still like to go back and visit the old, big cities once in a while but to me it's a better place to visit than live. I love combos of big city/amazing outdoor amenities, along with not being too cold or too humid. So the Southwest does it for me. I've been here for 21 years now.

Last edited by locolife; 03-31-2023 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-31-2023, 11:47 AM

7,503 posts, read 4,349,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I lived in the Northeast for about 4 years for a career growth opportunity, it was fun to experience it but I realized fairly quickly that it wasn't for me. I still like to go back and visit the old, big cities once in a while but to me it's a better place to visit than live. I love combos of big city/amazing outdoor amenities, along with not being too cold or too humid. So the Southwest does it for me. I've been here for 21 years now.
I was attracted to the Great American Southwest at a young age probably from watching all of those old western movies? Though I can't quite put my finger on it. I never lost that attraction throughout my life. Once we became self employed working from home we had no reason to remain in New York. At first it was hard getting my wife to want to leave. Because of family, friends and everything that we were familiar with. But after our first trip out here she was hooked. The house went up for sale and "here we is".

It certainly has fulfilled and exceeded all of our expectations. We love just about every aspect of living out here. The people, the weather, the landscape, the cost of living, the gun laws, our neighborhood and neighbors. About 6 months ago I had to have spinal surgery and for awhile had to use a walker and one of those riding carts in the supermarket. Now that I'm back on my feet this woman that I'd never met before walked up to me and asked how I was doing and how glad she was to see me walking again. I couldn't believe it and it almost brought tears to my eyes. That to me is Arizona for ya'. People don't seem to be as uptight as they were back east.

Sure there's crime, poverty, bad drivers etc. in Arizona but what state doesn't have its share of that? We made 6 cross country trips all by rail and drove out here when we moved. As such we've seen the good the bad and the ugly in each and every one. All of that was taken into consideration before we moved.

I'm really not a city person and only visited the heart of New York City (Manhattan) maybe a dozen times in my lifetime. Although I had to drive around it many times when I was dating a girl from Long Island. The view of the city skyline while going over the Whitestone or Throgs Neck Bridge was pretty spectacular at night.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 03-31-2023 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-31-2023, 01:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I expect states with no income taxes to attract retirees, TN is one such state, not a cold northern climate and not as dreadfully humid and buggy as FL. NC has both mountains and an ocean to attract people as well as reasonably priced homes and a milder climate. Years ago I learned the term 'halfback' to describe New Englanders who retired to FL, didn't like the humidity, bugs, hurricanes, snowbirds, tourists, spring breakers, etc, so they moved "half way back north" to NC, TN, etc and become known as 'half backs.'
Lived in both Florida and Tennessee and I can tell you Tennessee gets very humid...and cold! Still, aside from the natural beauty and the southern lifestyle (Southern hospitality is a real thing!) not having a state tax is a draw.

Old 03-31-2023, 02:47 PM

369 posts, read 268,941 times
Default It's a smaller LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Phoenix has made huge strides of progress and improvements over the last 20-30 years. Over the last 30 years Phoenix has surpass many cities in the Western US when it comes to prominence and importance. Now the big question needs to be asked. Has the city of Phoenix now established itself as the #2 "de facto" city behind Los Angeles when it comes to prominence and importance?
I agree and I've seen the changes in the the nearly 30 years since my family moved here.

Back then Phoenix was struggling to get freeways, sports teams and even left-turn signals on traffic lights. It was like America's biggest small town. The city was about half the size it is now.

Now it's like a scaled-down LA. Crime, homeless, inflation and traffic are worse but a lot of new things have been added to offset all the bad things about being a big city.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:00 PM

369 posts, read 268,941 times
Default Ate you describing Phoenix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I was attracted to the Great American Southwest at a young age probably from watching all of those old western movies? Though I can't quite put my finger on it. I never lost that attraction throughout my life. Once we became self employed working from home we had no reason to remain in New York. At first it was hard getting my wife to want to leave. Because of family, friends and everything that we were familiar with. But after our first trip out here she was hooked. The house went up for sale and "here we is".

It certainly has fulfilled and exceeded all of our expectations. We love just about every aspect of living out here. The people, the weather, the landscape, the cost of living, the gun laws, our neighborhood and neighbors. About 6 months ago I had to have spinal surgery and for awhile had to use a walker and one of those riding carts in the supermarket. Now that I'm back on my feet this woman that I'd never met before walked up to me and asked how I was doing and how glad she was to see me walking again. I couldn't believe it and it almost brought tears to my eyes. That to me is Arizona for ya'. People don't seem to be as uptight as they were back east.

Sure there's crime, poverty, bad drivers etc. in Arizona but what state doesn't have its share of that? We made 6 cross country trips all by rail and drove out here when we moved. As such we've seen the good the bad and the ugly in each and every one. All of that was taken into consideration before we moved.

I'm really not a city person and only visited the heart of New York City (Manhattan) maybe a dozen times in my lifetime. Although I had to drive around it many times when I was dating a girl from Long Island. The view of the city skyline while going over the Whitestone or Throgs Neck Bridge was pretty spectacular at night.
The friendliness you encountered at the store and some of other things you wrote sound like something out of a smaller town. You don't live anywhere near Phoenix,do you?

I think you're right about people being less uptight than back east but I just don't run across the kind of hospitality you described. I'm curious, what town do you live in?

Old 03-31-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
The friendliness you encountered at the store and some of other things you wrote sound like something out of a smaller town. You don't live anywhere near Phoenix,do you?

I think you're right about people being less uptight than back east but I just don't run across the kind of hospitality you described. I'm curious, what town do you live in?
I disagree, I live in Tempe and meet friendly people all the time, I was walking my bike down the south mountain summit road a few weeks ago, I had a mechanical issue that I couldn't fix with the tools I had. It was dark on a week night, not a lot of cars but 2 stopped and offered to help, including driving me down and even to give me a jacket (as it was pretty damn chilly). When we first moved into our neighborhood the weeds we're a total disaster in the front yard, a neighbor two houses down saw us working away and came down to help us, we've returned a few favors with yard work over the years since then.

Spending a lot of time on the trails around the various preserves in the valley, I've met so many friendly people out hiking or cycling, any time I've had a flat or other bike issue nearly every person that passes asks if I need any help. People have given me spare tubes or let me use a tool they happen to have that I wasn't carrying at the time. I've returned the favor countless times now as well. We met some new friends at a spring training game last weekend, a couple we sat next to in the grass. We connected when they offered to take a photo for us...

I don't consider this an unfriendly place at all. Maybe some folks give off less friendly vibes and perceive it as a problem with the place?

Old 03-31-2023, 06:57 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Phoenix has made huge strides of progress and improvements over the last 20-30 years. Over the last 30 years Phoenix has surpass many cities in the Western US when it comes to prominence and importance. Now the big question needs to be asked. Has the city of Phoenix now established itself as the #2 "de facto" city behind Los Angeles when it comes to prominence and importance?
Importance? Based on what? My impression is that we're lagging in health, lagging in education, lagging in serious culture. We've been mocked by much of the country for our political wackiness. We don't have a top teaching hospital. We don't have a top museum. We don't have a decent newspaper. I can't even find a good Chinese restaurant. The main interest for most people seems to be sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area