Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2023, 04:28 PM

258 posts, read 533,506 times

Advertisements

I did a search and I know there are other threads but things in a town can chance pretty fast.

Would like thought on the following compared to other Phoenix areas.

- Pests
- Weather (heard it was a lot warmer)
- Food shopping
- Retail shopping
- Restaurants that serve healthy food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 07:49 AM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Pests..lol. The usual, plus scorpions which is what you're probably asking about. Most people spray. You can do that yourself to save on costs. Go to Do it Yourself Pest Control store.

Weather- a lot warmer than where? Phoenix? It's all the same in the valley. June is the hottest month. You will turn on your AC the end of April/beginning May and won't turn it off until Oct. It's hot. If you buy a 2 story home you'll be paying $$$ to cool it.

Food shopping- like whole foods? You'll have to drive to Phoenix for those. There is a Sprouts though. Otherwise there's the usual grocery stores and a newer Costco nearby.

Retail shopping-nothing spectacular. Glendale has a mall and the outlet mall.

Restaurants- healthy food? You'll have to go to Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale etc.

Surprise is not San Diego.

Old 12-02-2023, 08:13 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Surprise - Not What You Expect.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:27 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,198 times
Pests - having lived in FL and TX (both humid places) the pests aren't as bad in Surprise...which is not to say that there aren't any. The apartment I rented had roaches. There are some mosquitos, but not nearly as many as other places. In 3 years, I have been bitten by them once. In FL and TX, I was bitten by them nightly. There are scorpions, carpet beetles, spiders, etc. There are roof rats, kangaroo rats, rattlesnakes, poisonous toads, bees, wasps, coyotes, javelinas, and bob cats. It is like everywhere else, nature abounds. I haven't seen any squirrels or skunks at all. I cut down on a lot of the problems by not having fruit trees in my yard.

Weather - the summer gets very hot. It is uncomfortable to be outside in the late morning to early evening. Once the sun goes down it becomes more pleasant. People tend to do outside things like walking their dogs in the very early AM and at night. Everything is air conditioned, so you go from your air-conditioned car to the air-conditioned building. There is pavement and rock yards everywhere which absorb and reflect the heat that that makes it even hotter. The winters can get very cold. I wrap my exterior pipes and bring in my garden hoses, but I notice I am the only one I know who does so.

Grocery Stores - Whole Foods is pretty far away. There is a Trader Joes here along with Frys, Sprouts, Safeway, Albertsons, Walmart, There are also specialty stores close by like Kahramana Mediterranean Market in Sun City and A To Z Polish Market in Surprise.

Retail Shopping - as mentioned above Bell Road in the Arrowhead section of Glendale has just about anything you could want, including a mall. Surprise is growing. It has a number of shopping centers that contain the usual big box stores. They also have restaurants. Village at Presada is being built now and that will have the usual big box stores and a variety of restaurants. I don't know that any restaurant has healthy food. They are about taste not about health, so they use a lot a butter/lard salt, sugar, cream, and fry a lot of food. There are also a number of farmers markets in the area.
Surprise is a typical suburb. There are some very pretty areas.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:48 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
One of my gripes is there are ZERO Whole Foods west of I-17, the north-south interstate that bisects Phoenix. None. What's up with that? Same for one of my favorite eateries, La Madeleine, none west of I-17. There's plenty of disposable income on the west side of I-17. Your guess is as good as mine as far as some sort of restraint of trade situation where big chains have "agreements" to not compete in each other's territory.

I like the baseball stadium in Surprise. Bell Road is a major thoroughfare; just about every fast food joint you can think of is found on that six-lane road.

There are two Costco locations, one just off of Bell Rd in the Arrowhead Mall area and one on Waddell just off the 303 Loop.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-02-2023, 12:20 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
I did a search and I know there are other threads but things in a town can chance pretty fast.

Would like thought on the following compared to other Phoenix areas.

- Pests
- Weather (heard it was a lot warmer)
- Food shopping
- Retail shopping
- Restaurants that serve healthy food
It's a suburb.
It's pretty safe.
Many new chain stores built and on the drawing board.
There are jets.

Here's some more 'stuff':
https://www.villageatprasada.com/directory

Old 12-02-2023, 01:51 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Nice park and stadium.

I always think of Surprise as a family friendly area.

Old 12-03-2023, 03:36 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
- Pests- Same as everywhere else. Unless you buy in a burb that butts up against the desert. Then, you might have some more scorpions. Treat them and call it a day.
- Weather (heard it was a lot warmer)- You heard wrong. If anything, it is a LITTLE cooler. Every 1000 feet of higher elevation is 5.4 degrees cooler (all things being equal). It's 1385' elevation. Goodyear is 968' for instance. So Surprise is about 1.8 degrees cooler. The only other element to consider is the heat island effect. Every year, Surprise is adding additional infrastructure to raise the temps.
- Food shopping- There is every major chain brand but Whole Foods. It's saturated.
- Retail shopping- Big box stores plus every essential that you could imagine. But there are very few specialty stores.
- Restaurants that serve healthy foodWhen I lived in Surprise for 9 years, I often ate at Vogue Bistro https://voguebistro.com/ Also a couple of sushi spots. Surprise mostly has chain restaurants. But every menu usually has an item of two you can find that is semi-healthy. Then ask to slightly modify what is quoted. I ask for double vegetables (hold the butter) versus a starch option, etc. Even at Pei Wei (home of the 1000-1400 calorie Asian meals), you can have them steam the meat versus the pan-fried option and ask for lighter sauces. That will knock it down by 400 calories (sugar and fat). Choose the salmon versus the steak etc. But if you are looking for soy and tofu options (yuck), you are picking the wrong town.

As you may have read in other threads, I left because of the jet noise. I don't miss it. The East side of town has a lot more restaurants. But it's a lot more expensive. I pay double for landscaping, a handyman, and 30% more for cleaners. It's shockingly more expensive now.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:29 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
Default Surprise !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
- Pests- Same as everywhere else. Unless you buy in a burb that butts up against the desert. Then, you might have some more scorpions. Treat them and call it a day.
- Weather (heard it was a lot warmer)- You heard wrong. If anything, it is a LITTLE cooler. Every 1000 feet of higher elevation is 5.4 degrees cooler (all things being equal). It's 1385' elevation. Goodyear is 968' for instance. So Surprise is about 1.8 degrees cooler. The only other element to consider is the heat island effect. Every year, Surprise is adding additional infrastructure to raise the temps.
- Food shopping- There is every major chain brand but Whole Foods. It's saturated.
- Retail shopping- Big box stores plus every essential that you could imagine. But there are very few specialty stores.
- Restaurants that serve healthy foodWhen I lived in Surprise for 9 years, I often ate at Vogue Bistro https://voguebistro.com/ Also a couple of sushi spots. Surprise mostly has chain restaurants. But every menu usually has an item of two you can find that is semi-healthy. Then ask to slightly modify what is quoted. I ask for double vegetables (hold the butter) versus a starch option, etc. Even at Pei Wei (home of the 1000-1400 calorie Asian meals), you can have them steam the meat versus the pan-fried option and ask for lighter sauces. That will knock it down by 400 calories (sugar and fat). Choose the salmon versus the steak etc. But if you are looking for soy and tofu options (yuck), you are picking the wrong town.

As you may have read in other threads, I left because of the jet noise. I don't miss it. The East side of town has a lot more restaurants. But it's a lot more expensive. I pay double for landscaping, a handyman, and 30% more for cleaners. It's shockingly more expensive now.
But it has a Trader Joe's! ( with jet noise )
it has loop 303 and Northern Parkway where can watch the jet landing and taking off from Luke AFB

Old 12-09-2023, 04:02 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
But it has a Trader Joe's! ( with jet noise )
it has loop 303 and Northern Parkway where can watch the jet landing and taking off from Luke AFB
Agreed! Having a TJ's close by is a nice benefit. I love their hard cheese pricing, specialty sauces, and fast in-and-out service. Their employees are easy to find if you want to find something fast.

As far as watching jets take off and land. That is interesting.... Once. Maybe twice. Then the box has been checked. If you lived in Gilbert, drive out once and get that box checked. Then, count your blessings that you don't have to listen to the F-35 140 jets that are at Luke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area