Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Question:

I am not trying to be a Troll or start a flame war here.........

It seems in the last few months that many (not all) of the Cali crowd who fled that state for the Phx area are having second thoughts......

Speaking for just myself; I have been here in Arizona for almost 20 years and I am getting that 'feeling' that it is time for me to 'bounce' as in giving hard consideration to returning to the Coast.

Although the enclave I am contemplating is the 'Hi-Desert' of Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree, etc. Maybe 20 years of Phx have inured me to desert heat; admittedly it is 5-10 degrees cooler in the former locale.
The California I miss does not exist anymore. You could once upon a time drive up and down Coast Hyw 101 and see but a handful of cars. The ocean was pristine and you could stop and sit by yourself and watch the sun set. There was a little date shake stand on the hwy and I never stopped but always intended to. Laguna was full of original art and the Sawdust Festival was where the poor artists showed their works. I do not miss Ca today.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM

70 posts, read 244,759 times
From my calculations, I have figured that when I get the pleasure of moving to the Phoenix area, the savings I will have with my new mortgage on a home versus my rent on the two-bedroom appartment here in the south bay, would allow us to easily fly here 4 times a year to spend 5 days, and we'd be saving money. That way, we get back into a house again, live in possibly my favorite state (of the ones I've been to), and get to enjoy the bay area a bunch of times throughout the year and not have the daily annoyances (though I'm sure there will be some new ones). I am not an expert at all on the the Phoenix area and need to research a lot before deciding where (what particular city) I'd like to end up. The extent of my time there is: a three-week practicum there (10 years ago), and I have visited almost every summer for 5 - 21 days for the past 13 or so years. My experience here is that I've lived here for almost three years (near San Jose). What I love about it in the Bay Area is the ocean, nature, wineries, and visiting places like Carmel and San Francisco (though I'd never live there). In Phoenix what I love is, the desert, the feel of the sun (it seems to actually give me more energy than anywhere else in the world, and I'm more creative there too), the friendliness of the people (very different here), nature as well (red rock areas, etc), patios with misters.... So I figure I can get the best of both worlds AND have a house. Anyway, those are my thoughts of what I know (but there is a lot I still need to find out about).

Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcork View Post
From my calculations, I have figured that when I get the pleasure of moving to the Phoenix area, the savings I will have with my new mortgage on a home versus my rent on the two-bedroom appartment here in the south bay, would allow us to easily fly here 4 times a year to spend 5 days, and we'd be saving money. That way, we get back into a house again, live in possibly my favorite state (of the ones I've been to), and get to enjoy the bay area a bunch of times throughout the year and not have the daily annoyances (though I'm sure there will be some new ones). I am not an expert at all on the the Phoenix area and need to research a lot before deciding where (what particular city) I'd like to end up. The extent of my time there is: a three-week practicum there (10 years ago), and I have visited almost every summer for 5 - 21 days for the past 13 or so years. My experience here is that I've lived here for almost three years (near San Jose). What I love about it in the Bay Area is the ocean, nature, wineries, and visiting places like Carmel and San Francisco (though I'd never live there). In Phoenix what I love is, the desert, the feel of the sun (it seems to actually give me more energy than anywhere else in the world, and I'm more creative there too), the friendliness of the people (very different here), nature as well (red rock areas, etc), patios with misters.... So I figure I can get the best of both worlds AND have a house. Anyway, those are my thoughts of what I know (but there is a lot I still need to find out about).
Go with your 'gut'; it is never wrong

Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,722,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredbird View Post
I was born and raised in West Los Angeles and went to college there. I worked for years, bought a home, got married and had my first child there. My husband got a residency up in the Bay Area. We lived there for 3 years and I absolutely loved it. My husband (originally from Ohio) hated the high cost of living. I was just used to it. Granted that we sold my home in Los Angeles and, through appreciation, had enough money to put 50% down on a home in the bay area. We lived off a resident's salary of $50K/yr. But as "poor" as we were we had the best time of our lives there. I took my kids to the beach, San Francisco, the 4 children's museums there, 2 toddler amusements parks, loads of parks, splash pads, bike riding, kite flying, train parks, etc. There was so many "free" things to do there for entertainment. Even on rainy days, we went puddle jumping and made paper boats to follow in little streams. It was a slice of heaven.

Even in this poor real estate market, we sold our home 2 months ago within 3 days and above asking price there. My hubby accepted a job in Phoenix. We bought a HUGE home that's only 2 years old. It's really nice.

However, I've never been sadder here. My oldest son who is 4 asked me if he was being punished. I asked why? He said because we don't ride bikes, go to the beach, fly kites, etc.. anymore. I lost it and cried. He's been wanting to go out every day after lunch to play like we did in the bay area. It's been a really tough transition and I'm totally homesick. I know that we moved here at the start of the summer, but my fond memories of wonderful summers are forever ruined if we stay here. I can't imagine raising my 3 kids without summer picnics and trips to the beach.

I would move back to California if I could.

You should visit here in the summer first. The heat can really change your lifestyle.

M
Sorry if this isn't totally relevant but I just had to share my experience with you as a former California girl.
I read your post and felt a real sadness from it. A thought I have is for you to try what my friend told me she and her family did growing up in Phoenix. They planned all their family activities together to be done in the early morning or at night. For example, they would pack a picnic basket and go out at breakfast time instead of the traditional lunch hour. All Summer outdoor activities were done this way and it's not unusual, given the weather circumstances. Think of the afternoon as "Siesta Time" like some other countries practice, where nothing takes place and everything shuts down in the hot midday sun.

Don't deprive yourself and your children of the fun you both can have where your at. Just change the clock time to do it in.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,709,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxinaz View Post
What about AZ Natives?
how about born in AZ, raised in California

I lived in Sacramento,CA for 20 years

Woman in AZ are better.

Population in CA is better.Manners and politeness, wise.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 PM

23 posts, read 90,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredbird View Post
I was born and raised in West Los Angeles and went to college there. I worked for years, bought a home, got married and had my first child there. My husband got a residency up in the Bay Area. We lived there for 3 years and I absolutely loved it. My husband (originally from Ohio) hated the high cost of living. I was just used to it. Granted that we sold my home in Los Angeles and, through appreciation, had enough money to put 50% down on a home in the bay area. We lived off a resident's salary of $50K/yr. But as "poor" as we were we had the best time of our lives there. I took my kids to the beach, San Francisco, the 4 children's museums there, 2 toddler amusements parks, loads of parks, splash pads, bike riding, kite flying, train parks, etc. There was so many "free" things to do there for entertainment. Even on rainy days, we went puddle jumping and made paper boats to follow in little streams. It was a slice of heaven.

Even in this poor real estate market, we sold our home 2 months ago within 3 days and above asking price there. My hubby accepted a job in Phoenix. We bought a HUGE home that's only 2 years old. It's really nice.

However, I've never been sadder here. My oldest son who is 4 asked me if he was being punished. I asked why? He said because we don't ride bikes, go to the beach, fly kites, etc.. anymore. I lost it and cried. He's been wanting to go out every day after lunch to play like we did in the bay area. It's been a really tough transition and I'm totally homesick. I know that we moved here at the start of the summer, but my fond memories of wonderful summers are forever ruined if we stay here. I can't imagine raising my 3 kids without summer picnics and trips to the beach.

I would move back to California if I could.

You should visit here in the summer first. The heat can really change your lifestyle.

M
Sorry if this isn't totally relevant but I just had to share my experience with you as a former California girl.
So sorry you are unhappy. However, you moved here at the WORST time of the year. The "winter time" here is absolutely gorgeous. Once summer is gone, the people are outside. Events in the parks, the zoos, bike riding, hiking, road trips, it's amazing. One thing Arizonans with children have learned to appreciate during the brutal heat, indoor play yards. Like Gymboree, Amazing Jakes, Indoor Fun, etc.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:54 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,458,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Moving On, I'd be very interested to hear what do you not like about living in North Scottsdale? Please give me some insights as that is where I am thinking...do you have a family? are you single? what age bracket are you in? social security number? Im kidding about the SS number but please I'd like to hear what do you not like about Phx area? Thanks.
No to family, yes to single, no kids, mid 40s, there ya go.

What do I not like about Phoenix? Don't get me started. First off, this land is a land of strip malls. There is a reason one must ask what corner is such and such located on. Too many chain restaurants. Bad drivers. Little to do. Too many sketchy neighborhoods. I knew my car would be hit shortly after I moved here and, sure enough, within six months I was hit down on Indian School. For this reason and others I avoid Phoenix.

As to N. Scottsdale, well, it's probably the best place to live, aside from Fountain Hills, if one has to live here, although I think Fountain Hills is too far out there. Don't get me wrong, I like my Safeway with white lights all around the palm trees, but I live in this suburban neighborhood. As a single person, it's very boring. N. Scottsdale is, for some reason, known for its pretentious nature, although I just don't get it. This place cannot hold a candle to where I came from - that being the SF Bay Area.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 PM

919 posts, read 3,398,685 times
I read many of these posts and marvel at the complete surrender many have to a place. If you feel PHX lacks something, then seek to create it. If you miss something from a place you used to live, what have you done to find others to change the situation?

Change doesn't just happen... it takes leadership and action. Someone there - in the past - created train parks and toddler museums and kite parks. Cities usually don't do it on their own, but take credit for it later.

California didn't create Mondavi. He imparted his will to make great wine when nobody believed it could be done. A guy named Stanford didn't complain about a lack of higher education - but created an institution. CA didn't create the Huntington library and gardens, the Getty museum, Disneyland or the San Diego Zoo. These were all creations of individuals who felt the city needed them. In fact, I'd say these folks helped create CA, not the other way around.

So one can sit and moan or be the change they want to see in the world. Phoenix is still pretty much a blank canvas with room to paint. If you think it's not colorful enough, pick up a brush. Otherwise you're simply cattle in need of herding.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,485,660 times
Amazingly, there are houses here that are priced just like high-end big houses in Orange County where I used to live and I do not understand how they can ask for/sell a house that much $$ (in certain upscale parts of Phoenix/Glendale/Scottsdale). The difference is, there decent size 3 even 4 bdrm houses out here that cost less than what you would pay for a 3 even 2 bdrm Condo in Orange County.

If you think you are not making well enough then I can understand but if I wan going to rent and not buy a house and I didn't have to worry about supporting my sister, I would NOT leave CA. I really enjoyed living there but from end of September till end of May/beginning of June I like the weather here much better, from the middle of June through end of September, you are pretty much indoors and AC dependent at all times. Those who use their AC or think it is hot like 5-6 or more months in a year might be part penguin, I dunno but it only seems hot to me for about 3 months give and take couple of weeks.

Traffic....horrid, I want to mount a 50 caliber machine gun on the back of my truck and cleanup the streets once in a while. Everyone is quick to smacktalk Californians for being crazy drivers but almost every erratic moving car has an East Coast plate on it or a AZ plate with an East Coast sport team sticker (hint). Illegals or fresh over the border looking people drive extremely slow to a point where they seem annoying if not dangerous imo. A lot of people pack heat in this State, even a pregnant woman can shoot you on the road if you somehow manage to irritate her. I enjoyed riding my motorcycle a bit more in CA even though I was riding a lot more wicked while there. Out here, in my first 3 months I had to lay it down twice to save my skin!

Then I analyzed the incidents and revised my riding habits to make it safer to ride. I suppose one has to adapt to his/her new surroundings to survive and I had to too. If not I probably would have become a bumper sticker on someone's vehicle by now.

Groceries cost about the same if not slightly more than So Cal, in my and in my sister's opinion but on the flipside gas is about $.40-$.50 cheaper per gallon. Car registration and DMV fees were about the same or slightly cheaper out here. Insurance too but some people say the otherwise so it must vary depending on your vehicle and your driving record and how well or how bad of an insurance rate you had in CA (duh, huh?).

Other than those few derogatory points I had to share, yet again, it is like heaven here (and no, I am not on drugs).

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times
To TurcoLoco and everybody else:

When I saw the Phx area in 1990; I was enchanted, hindsight being 20/20......it was significantly smaller.

Heck; we had no where the freeway system as now yet it was no big deal to drive from point to point------even during rush hour.

Somewhere ca. 1999-02; we hit a 'tipping point' of traffic congestion and deteriorating attitudes. Couple that with the imploding housing market (which was way overvalued admittedly)-------the 'snakes are becoming restless'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area