Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,403 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=5]Mom_2_specialneeds[/SIZE]
7 posts, read 231 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredbird
I was born and raised in West Los Angeles and went to college there. I worked for years, bought a home, got married and had my first child there. My husband got a residency up in the Bay Area. We lived there for 3 years and I absolutely loved it. My husband (originally from Ohio) hated the high cost of living. I was just used to it. Granted that we sold my home in Los Angeles and, through appreciation, had enough money to put 50% down on a home in the bay area. We lived off a resident's salary of $50K/yr. But as "poor" as we were we had the best time of our lives there. I took my kids to the beach, San Francisco, the 4 children's museums there, 2 toddler amusements parks, loads of parks, splash pads, bike riding, kite flying, train parks, etc. There was so many "free" things to do there for entertainment. Even on rainy days, we went puddle jumping and made paper boats to follow in little streams. It was a slice of heaven.

Even in this poor real estate market, we sold our home 2 months ago within 3 days and above asking price there. My hubby accepted a job in Phoenix. We bought a HUGE home that's only 2 years old. It's really nice.

However, I've never been sadder here. My oldest son who is 4 asked me if he was being punished. I asked why? He said because we don't ride bikes, go to the beach, fly kites, etc.. anymore. I lost it and cried. He's been wanting to go out every day after lunch to play like we did in the bay area. It's been a really tough transition and I'm totally homesick. I know that we moved here at the start of the summer, but my fond memories of wonderful summers are forever ruined if we stay here. I can't imagine raising my 3 kids without summer picnics and trips to the beach.

I would move back to California if I could.

You should visit here in the summer first. The heat can really change your lifestyle.

"M
Sorry if this isn't totally relevant but I just had to share my experience with you as a former California girl.

So sorry you are unhappy. However, you moved here at the WORST time of the year. The "winter time" here is absolutely gorgeous. Once summer is gone, the people are outside. Events in the parks, the zoos, bike riding, hiking, road trips, it's amazing. One thing Arizonans with children have learned to appreciate during the brutal heat, indoor play yards. Like Gymboree, Amazing Jakes, Indoor Fun, etc."

Little bird, You are a total kill joy, please get off of this board, immediately! j/k...

Listen, I def. sympathize with your situation esp. with 4 kids involved but like she said above, you moved there at the worst time of the year. But I think it will even itself out as longer you are there and get more familiar. There are mountains you can hike, rivers and lakes you can take them to(fishing) not to mention roadtrips to Grand Canyon and Mexico! I think being in the sad state that you are in, you are wallowing in your own sorrow to see the good in it and won't allow yourself to open yourself up to the new beginnings!

If your kids are bringing you down, it is your job to pick them back up! They look up to you and they feed not only off of your breasts but more importantly your energy as well. So, if mommy's sad, the kids are going to be sad! Please remember this. Im not trying to give you parenting advice but I think like you said that yourself, you are living in the past. It is good, even great to have memories of past to hold on to but it is even better to create new memories of future! You should really buckle down and try to allow yourself to enjoy the surroundings that you put yourself in and when you feel down, try thinking of the positives vs. wallowing in negatives because otherwise, you will never get over it!

If all else fails, you can always go back to overpaying in S.F. and throwing you child's education money away on mortgage or whatever else they got there...

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No to family, yes to single, no kids, mid 40s, there ya go.

What do I not like about Phoenix? Don't get me started. First off, this land is a land of strip malls. There is a reason one must ask what corner is such and such located on. Too many chain restaurants. Bad drivers. Little to do. Too many sketchy neighborhoods. I knew my car would be hit shortly after I moved here and, sure enough, within six months I was hit down on Indian School. For this reason and others I avoid Phoenix.

As to N. Scottsdale, well, it's probably the best place to live, aside from Fountain Hills, if one has to live here, although I think Fountain Hills is too far out there. Don't get me wrong, I like my Safeway with white lights all around the palm trees, but I live in this suburban neighborhood. As a single person, it's very boring. N. Scottsdale is, for some reason, known for its pretentious nature, although I just don't get it. This place cannot hold a candle to where I came from - that being the SF Bay Area.

you think scottsdale is pretentious? Oh, cmon...have you been to NYC? Miami? LA? Chicago(which is where i am from)? I guess coming in from big city, I don't have alot of money but have all the confidence in the world. Phoenix is a step down from any cities I mentioned above,
SF included....I think you let your self be intimidated...Im not rich by any means but I tell ya, I can go into any club in Scottsdale hang with the best of'em and even steal their girlfriends(not that I would)...Cmon man, sounds to me like you're in ideal situation...don't let the fake tan and boobs and trust fund money scare you away! They are more insecure, more messed up in the head than any normal person. They like to hide behind their mercedes, beamers, pounds of Bobbi Brown make up and fake orange tan! Let's grow a pair and enjoy life!

Well but then, I could totally wrong as I don't know your situation but that is the way I translated it!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I read many of these posts and marvel at the complete surrender many have to a place. If you feel PHX lacks something, then seek to create it. If you miss something from a place you used to live, what have you done to find others to change the situation?

Change doesn't just happen... it takes leadership and action. Someone there - in the past - created train parks and toddler museums and kite parks. Cities usually don't do it on their own, but take credit for it later.

California didn't create Mondavi. He imparted his will to make great wine when nobody believed it could be done. A guy named Stanford didn't complain about a lack of higher education - but created an institution. CA didn't create the Huntington library and gardens, the Getty museum, Disneyland or the San Diego Zoo. These were all creations of individuals who felt the city needed them. In fact, I'd say these folks helped create CA, not the other way around.

So one can sit and moan or be the change they want to see in the world. Phoenix is still pretty much a blank canvas with room to paint. If you think it's not colorful enough, pick up a brush. Otherwise you're simply cattle in need of herding.
How exactly do you do any of this with no money?

I have many dreams towards Arizona, but i don't have billions of dollars to dump into the state.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
How exactly do you do any of this with no money?

I have many dreams towards Arizona, but i don't have billions of dollars to dump into the state.
Network with kindred spirits........many people combined can do things.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,263 times
I moved to AZ from San Luis Obispo, I would Love to go back someday, but I realize that in order to own a house someday I need to stay here i Phoenix for a while. Arizona is cool if you are young Scottsdale and Tempe are awesome get ready for a crappy summer, but the rest of the year Oct-April is GREAT! Northern AZ is awesome for the summer too, it is about 80 there. I think you would like AZ as long as you could visit CA frequently like I do (about once a month the drive to San Diego is about 5 hours and the drive to LA is about 6). Good Luck! If you give AZ a chance it is really amazing! And the homes are like 150k-200k! Thats nice!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Yes it is a lot warmer in the area. But then I came from the coast.

Rent for a 30 year old 4 bedroom 2 bath home Oxnard, California, $2,600 a month.

Mortgage for a 1 month old 4 bedroom 2 bath home in Surprise, AZ: $1,560 a month including property tax, HOA fees, insurance Ect. (5% Down)

Employment: California, I am still working 3 days a week and looking for a job in Arizona. My career is somewhat specilized though.

Employment: Arizona, I have several opportunities that are looking up but no firm answer as of yet. Because of the level within a company many organizations take a little time to find the right person for the job. I have learned to live with that and know eventually I will be working in the area.

Amenities California: Beach, mountains, hiking trails, lakes, amusement parks, baseball, basketball, football ( although not in LA, but they do have USC) , hockey, nascar, theatre, museums, garment district, car shows.

Amenities Arizona: Mountains, Hiking trails, Lakes, lots of baseball, basketball, football, not sure about hockey, nascar, museums, car shows.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
we got NHL hockey...and Spring Training, Which is actually really fun and a great opportunity for the kids, and the kids at heart, to meet the players and get tons of autographs.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxinaz View Post
What about AZ Natives?
Born in Tucson, moved to Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
Sure, but I just mean in comparison to California, as in what do you like / dislike about Phoenix compared to your life in California
I lived in Sacramento for a few years and you can tell the differences between California and Arizona after the first 3 months, then you will want to leave.

Regurgitation is what Arizona is known for.

You can tell the difference between someone that has lived in Arizona and someone from California. Here is a GREAT example.

I was at carls jr, waiting for my food. I noticed the cashier in the next isle over was getting frustrated about something. It was either about the drawer being short or her manager was telling her she would have to work another shift because someone didn't come in. Either way here manager was telling her " deal with it" how does an employee deal with a shortened cash drawer or having to work 16 hrs at the same place?

I come up to her and the first question i ask is "Are you from California?" she said, yes. My thoughts on that is it seems people that move from California to Arizona, get frustraited from the bull**** that isn't put up with in California.

I transfered from Sacramento to Tucson for a computer technician job. I thought, great i can live close to my parents and have a great career. The company told me they would teach me all sorts of VOIP and networking. I thought great! VOIP is slowly becoming a standard in the IT industry and getting training on it would put me ahead! They paid for my transfer and i got there. The first week was fine, i just started and was learning things about how the company worked. The second week came around, i was required to drive to mexico in my own car to some factory.

hmmm i don't remember them talking about this during the interview. Mind you i asked every question during the interview.

third week drive to mexico agian with some german getting paid minimum wage.

Ut oh... im seeing whats going on here.

fourth week, i was fired. They told me because i wasn't doing my job. Well thats bull****. So far my job was to drive his employee's to mexico, hold network cables and crawl into small spaces. That's what my job was and wasn't suppose to be.

I have many more examples, but i would be afraid it will be too much for people to read. I can't continue either because i have a migrain now.

lol i guess i've never read the first post and now getting around to it. I was reading someone else's post as the first.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:

I lived in Sacramento for a few years and you can tell the differences between California and Arizona after the first 3 months, then you will want to leave.

You can tell the difference between someone that has lived in Arizona and someone from California. Here is a GREAT example.

I was at carls jr, waiting for my food. I noticed the cashier in the next isle over was getting frustrated about something. It was either about the drawer being short or her manager was telling her she would have to work another shift because someone didn't come in. Either way here manager was telling her " deal with it" how does an employee deal with a shortened cash drawer or having to work 16 hrs at the same place?

I come up to her and the first question i ask is "Are you from California?" she said, yes. My thoughts on that is it seems people that move from California to Arizona, get frustraited from the bull**** that isn't put up with in California.

I transfered from Sacramento to Tucson for a computer technician job. I thought, great i can live close to my parents and have a great career. The company told me they would teach me all sorts of VOIP and networking. I thought great! VOIP is slowly becoming a standard in the IT industry and getting training on it would put me ahead! They paid for my transfer and i got there. The first week was fine, i just started and was learning things about how the company worked. The second week came around, i was required to drive to mexico in my own car to some factory.

hmmm i don't remember them talking about this during the interview. Mind you i asked every question during the interview.

fourth week, i was fired. They told me because i wasn't doing my job. Well thats bull****. So far my job was to drive his employee's to mexico, hold network cables and crawl into small spaces. That's what my job was and wasn't suppose to be.

I have many more examples, but i would be afraid it will be too much for people to read. I can't continue either because i have a migrain now.

lol i guess i've never read the first post and now getting around to it. I was reading someone else's post as the first.
Interesting.

I had fewer problems here in Arizona than back in Calif.

Note I have done OK here in the Phx area but not in Tucson. Heck; my $$$ was better in both Bullhead City and Lake Havasu City than Tucson for the exact same line of work!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:

I made more money and the Union was strong in Cali. I have seen some of the BS you talk of...but ultimately it is up to you to perform at your job.

No regrets for us in the move. We are doing better here in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area