Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:55 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Sorry, I was upset. I tried to erase it but I can't erase the quotes so. I really need to just get off city-data, I can't take the heat. I'm starting to agree with the people who say we are a mean thread. We are. It's of no good to anyone..unfortunatly it represents this state all too well. One reason I am looking to leave someday.

I'm sorry if I was the one who highjacked the thread!
No, pls. don't take my post the wrong way. No insult intended. I just have a hard time reading a huge paragraph.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
So what your saying Twiggy is we have to pay for your stupidity? And you get bailed out by the fed? Gee thanks.
I haven't got bailed out by anyone. I am paying for my own mistake. I still own my house and pay twice what I first paid for it. But my mortgage company is getting plenty of help from your taxes, I'm sure they are thanking you right now.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
East Mesa area, Las Sendas, Red Mountain Ranch.

Don't these people understand the banks will get judgments against them for the amount left over on the mortgage once the home is sold?
By the way, your the one who change the subject to "these people". Most of the owners didn't leave it that way. They were broken into after they were bank owned. There is a show on nightline about it as I speak. And yes, "these people" will have the bill for what the criminals did after they left to pay too. And you will get a smokin deal! So whats are you upset about exactly?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
If you become obese, WE will all pay the higher health care premiums and higher health care costs and additional malpractice insurance because of all of the procedures that your doctor will do to figure out what' wrong with you from all of the diseases that the obesity brings on.
You won't just "die of a heart attack." It's not that easy, you will suffer for years and years and loads of medical tests, pills and dr. visits (we will help pay for these if you're under medicare or if you're not we'll pay skyrocketing premiums because of YOUR choices to eat what you want).

If you smoke,you won't just die of lung cancer, it lingers on and on, more medical tests, surgeries, meds, chemo and we'll pay that, too, for YOUR choices.

If you don't exercise, we'll pay for that, too. Heart disease, cancer risk, ets.

If you don't reduce stress, you'll get all of the stress illnesses, and we'll pay for that, too.

If you don't start eating 3-4 servings of fruits/vegies/day, you're cancer risk goes up.

If you drink more than moderately,......
If you live in toxic relationships, stress increases, and all of the stress diseases will increase.

If you eat alot of foods with pesticides, you're body will be more toxic, higher risk of cancer.

So, if you believe people are responsible for their choices, all of them, you're not a victim, ever, you're the master of your fate, you then are responsible for all of these above behaviors or not (the ones you don't do also that affect your health negatively and over time, and the health care premiums and costs for all of us that we have to pay because of YOUR choices, not my choices, yours).
You can't be sometimes responsible and sometimes not. You made your choices (financial, health, etc.).
If you get sick, you are not a victim, you made various choices that got you that way.

This belief system of "you did this to yourself, now live with it" must extend to all areas, wouldn't you say??
They agreed with me.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:15 AM

Twiggy, don't get bent out of shape over these people in this thread. They are mostly conservatives who don't have the compassion that other people (read liberals) do. Just blow it off and figure that this is Phoenix.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Twiggy, don't get bent out of shape over these people in this thread. They are mostly conservatives who don't have the compassion that other people (read liberals) do. Just blow it off and figure that this is Phoenix.
Ha ha, yeah, thanks. I just pmed you Movin on. I like you, your a cool person.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times
I'm not making excuses, but every situtation is different.

Everyone benefitted and benefits from overall growth, so as much as I personally disliked (and still do) the massive, cookie cutter mini cities that srpung up all over - it probably helped my investment in a 1962-era house in an older part of town. For now, I'm much closer to the established amenities which makes my place an attractive alternative to buyers should I want to sell it at some point.

There were flippers and underqualified buyers in all parts of the metro area. It seems, however, the newer areas got hit the hardest. I don't feel bad for the asshats who worked the system, but do feel some empathy for the early adopters who bought into newer developments with the intention of living there for a while. It's easy to see a house for sale in an established area and then drive around the hood to check out stores, schools, neighbors not going anywhere, etc. To move to a newer place, it took a leap of faith. The neighbors were blueprints, the schools and parks were in brochures. A good many people had the best intentions of being part of something grand, but maybe the developer bit off too much, sold too many plots to flippers, etc. I'd be pissed if half my street was unbuilt and the city was holding off things due to projected revenues being shorted.

Again, I'm not making excuses. Real estate is a risk. We must all make decisions and live with the choices. But not everyone bought with 0 down with an ARM. Even if you put 20% down on a traditional fixed, you'd still be very screwed if you bought in some places and now find that your job has moved and you need to sell. Or you got a divorce. Got sick. Parents got sick, etc. Doubly screwed if your street has 10 vacant homes and 10 unbuilt.

I'm just saying... every situation is different. And if you're a free market, small govt., lover of enterprise and risk, you've got to give some kudos to the souls who took that leap of faith and chose to move to a risky, speculative area. They helped drive overall growth of PHX and they supported the expansion ideals of the financial markets who have counted on pioneers since the country's birth.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 AM

190 posts, read 571,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I'm not going take the bait and reply with a cheap insult toward liberals. Both Democrats and Republicans can identify something as basic as taking responsibility for one's actions and avoiding sharing blame. This is hardly a conservative value or a political issue. Feeling compassion and identifying people as victims are two different issues. I don't think anyone in this thread lacks compassion toward people who have lost their homes but they don't feel sympathy toward them as victims. A person in Iraq whose house was bombed is a victim. A person who willingly gambles by signing an ARM is not a victim.

Last edited by azriverfan; 06-18-2008 at 12:46 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I'm not going take the bait and reply with a cheap insult toward liberals. Both Democrats and Republicans can identify something as basic as taking responsibility for one's actions and avoiding sharing blame. This is hardly a conservative value. Rather, this is a value that people should have been taught when they were children but apparently some people still haven't grasped it. That is truly unfortunate because it will only prevent them from succeeding in life.
No bait intended, rather it's a fact. What I identify with is a saying from Maya Angelou..."When people know better, they do better." I just cannot have a judgmental attitude as so many conservatives do. And "succeeding" is a highly subjective way of looking at life. I'd rather be happy with nothing than have a lot and not be so happy or be a judgmental person.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Gezz, after reading this thread all I have to say is " they're sure some bitter folks in Phoenix" Hang in there Twiggy.

Fortunately I'm one of the ones who waited for the deals to come around(one reasons why I skipped over Phoenix and moved to Houston )and refused to buy in San Diego the last 8 years. After moving to Houston and buying my dream home I still can't help but to feel sorry for our people in this country who's going through this mess. I guess what I don't understand is why is everyone so quick to point the finger "I told you soo" at others while they're down and out. Maybe when you're not happy with your own life it makes you feel better about yourself to enjoy someone else downfalls. lol

Oh'well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area