Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM

34 posts, read 59,713 times

Advertisements

IMO, the overall prices and quality of produce and meat at Sprouts is unmatched by any grocery store chain in the Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I was disappointed to learn there are no Aldi stores in Arizona. I will miss shopping there for sure!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
I loved shopping at the Fry's in north Glendale (101 & 59th Ave). It's so huge, and such good prices on meat. It was fun for the kid too, riding in the cart. We always made a pit stop at the bakery counter for a free cookie fragment!

Sprouts in N. Glendale has lots of organics, the little free cups of coffee, the friendly meat/deli counter, good whole wheat bread, and reasonable prices. The Walmart Super Center for cheap bananas and coffee creamer and miscellaneous stuff--toothpaste or tampons or whatever. Costco for the bulk stuff, $0.99/pound chicken thighs, diapers, double loaves of bread, etc.

Phoenix is a shopper's paradise. I miss it

Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
i shop at a 4 places.....buy my pop at the .99 store.....i buy produce at frys, i found its excellant quality, most of it anyhow, thow i get my banana,s at costco....i buy chicken at costco and albertson(when its on sale at albert).....i buy can goods at winco.....so my shopping is busy...i never shop at walmart...lot of meat recalls....just too big in my opinion to have qulaity control..and i don,t like walmart the way they make everyone pay for the employees health bils , they have to depend on access...everyone pays for that in taxes...walmart is really a bad company
This will be a tad off topic but I feel I need to correct your perception of Walmart employees health bills. Every single Walmart employee, part time AND full time, can have health insurance. IF they choose to have it. I know a lot of people think like you do but it's just not true.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Costco for things that can freeze, are perishable or you'll go through quickly enough. Fresh and easy really seems to be cheap too. Plus they send out $5 off coupons. That place was a lifesaver when I was on single living strict budget!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM

25 posts, read 46,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
This will be a tad off topic but I feel I need to correct your perception of Walmart employees health bills. Every single Walmart employee, part time AND full time, can have health insurance. IF they choose to have it. I know a lot of people think like you do but it's just not true.
It must be true....they read it on the internet. SIGH.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametha1 View Post
It must be true....they read it on the internet. SIGH.
Yeah, I know. Lots of untrue stuff out there....

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM

58 posts, read 129,880 times
Is there something wrong with Winco in Phoenix? No one has mentioned it. I was just house hunting in Phoenix and I was delighted to see a Winco! Here in CA I rely on Winco for canned items; bulk spices, beans, baking items; and cheap cheese, eggs, bread, and produce when I can't afford or find organic. (You couldn't pay me to buy meat there though.) How is Winco in Phoenix?
As the primary [read: only] grocery shopper in the household, I visited Safeway, Fry's, Walmart, and Albertson's in north Phoenix. Safeway prices were ridiculously high, though the prices are possibly higher than other locations as it is the only grocery store on the east side of Anthem. Fry's and Albertson's had a few loss leaders but again, super high prices for basics. Walmart actually had the most organic produce items and was the only one that had almost-organic chicken; all of those prices are comparable to SuperTarget's though, so I'd much rather shop at SuperTarget.
FWIW, all dairy products in all stores were much higher than what I pay in central CA - I was thinking the dairy farmer racket must be much more successful in AZ than it has been in CA.
I would go crazy trying to go here and there to score deals/loss leaders at Fry's, Safeway, Albertson's, Basha's - so once in Phoenix I plan to hit Costco, Whole Foods, and Winco on a rotating basis. Whole Foods has great deals on natural meats, though of course you'll pay through the nose if it's your primary store.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoAZ View Post
Is there something wrong with Winco in Phoenix?
This thread was started in 2008, resurrected once in early 2012 and only recently added to again. Winco didn't open in Phoenix until April 2012, IIRC.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
My brother likes Winco. The nearest Winco is more than 10 mi from my house. Too far for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area