Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:21 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Isn't Sapporo a beer brand? Or was it Sapparo?

Oh well, after couple of those, As can looks like Os!

PS. I don't even like cooked fish all that much so needless to say, I stay away from sushi...

I guess what they say about Phx is right, no culture! j/k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I like Sapporo's. I am going to Roka Akor tomorrow night for dinner so will let you know then how it was.
yes please!Thanks...specifically I am interested in upscale sushi restaurants in and around Scottsdale not mom's and pop's outfits that we've all come to love in these tough economic times! To steal a line from Seinfeld, not that there is anything wrong with that...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times
Hmmm... this ivanabacowboy guy...

I wonder if he's any relation to Ivan Awfulitch?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
I guess what they say about Phx is right, no culture! j/k
Don't blame Phoenix and its people on my account since I only been here 14 months!
I used to like seafood but I started to get sick from it. If cooked fish gets me sick I am not even going to take my chances with raw fish! Heck, I don't even like the way most fish taste!

Besides, what does eating raw fish got to do with so-called 'culture'? So you are saying America had no culture before raw fish came over?

So, you think you got culture cause you eat raw fish, huh?

I wonder if eating too much Mexican food will turn me into an 'illegal'?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Default Not surprising

I like Sapporo and Ra (Kierland) because I can walk to them, because they both have happy hours, and because they're good.

As an aside, I accused Ex-Captain Bill and his Fan Club of advertising, and got whacked for "off topic", when it was really just pointing out what is taking place. When I complained about that my post got whacked for "calling out a moderator action and I didn't say ANYTHING about d-baggery! You're lucky, so far!

This one should be gone by sunset, but I'll take a screen shot and post the image, just for good memories. Anyway, this is just an advertising site that uses a forum to get search engine hits for its advertisers. Most forums are that way, some are more permissive, others are in business and use you and I to get more by generating traffic then "pruning" what doesn't fit the business model.

Anyway I like the ambience at Sapporo, but I like the outdoor patio at Ra a little better. I haven't ventured farther for sushi, although I fear I might just have to do so in the near future, just to say I did it.

Last edited by 43north87west; 07-28-2008 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 AM

268 posts, read 1,159,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
yes please!Thanks...specifically I am interested in upscale sushi restaurants in and around Scottsdale not mom's and pop's outfits that we've all come to love in these tough economic times! To steal a line from Seinfeld, not that there is anything wrong with that...
I LOVE sushi. I like Ra, Stingray, and especially Kona Grill (great happy hour) in south Scottsdale. Up north I like Sapporo, Ra, and Malee's at Desert Ridge. Sushi on Shea, Hiro Sushi, and Sushi Ko are great too, but they are more mom and pop type sushi restaurants.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times

We Arizonans have always been a very loving people.

We have always loved Mexican food.

We also love Mexican pottery, Mexican curios, Mexican tile, and Mexican coffee. Plus, we love to continually give most of our new subdivisions and all of their streets a bunch of no-nonsense spanish names, and we occasionally love hiring illegals to do our work for us.

But, actually turning into illegals?

Never happen!

Last edited by ZonyPony; 07-28-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Don't blame Phoenix and its people on my account since I only been here 14 months!
I used to like seafood but I started to get sick from it. If cooked fish gets me sick I am not even going to take my chances with raw fish! Heck, I don't even like the way most fish taste!

Besides, what does eating raw fish got to do with so-called 'culture'? So you are saying America had no culture before raw fish came over?

So, you think you got culture cause you eat raw fish, huh?

Try eating a banana and tell me what that turns you into?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:15 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
I LOVE sushi. I like Ra, Stingray, and especially Kona Grill (great happy hour) in south Scottsdale. Up north I like Sapporo, Ra, and Malee's at Desert Ridge. Sushi on Shea, Hiro Sushi, and Sushi Ko are great too, but they are more mom and pop type sushi restaurants.
I'm curious and would like to ask a question re yr post. What do you guys mean by mom and pop type sushi restaurants? Do you mean older people go there? And that's why it's not your cup of tea?

I've been to Ra, STingray and Kona Grill and the sushi was (of course jmho) not much better than you get at AJ's market or whole foods mkt. I've not been to Hiro or Sushi Ko...so they may be like Sushi on Shea, I can't comment. I think Sushi on Shea is quite authentic and the fish is very good. I wouldn't even put it in the same class as Ra. Ra was awful the 3 times I tried it. Really awful.

Anyway, because I didn't like Sushi Eye in Tempe which was voted #1 by New Times paper and I do like Sushi on Shea...I'm wondering if it is me. I don't care about the crowd, just the sushi...so maybe that is where the mom and pop thing comes in and I'm just out of touch.

Also, I've only gone for lunch to all these places...so maybe that has something to do with it. The crowd was a bit more businessy at S on Shea...but nobody looked over 35. I'm confused.

I'm no food critic, but have been to Japan and some of the better sushi bars in SF and Los Angeles (went with young Japanese that were working on the west coast and Tokyo and some of the places were VERY trendy and young)...so I thought I could kind of judge sushi. Maybe I'm missing the boat. Could you explain? I would love to find a new place to go anywhere in the phx metro area.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
PS ivanabacowboy is not a guy. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area