Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Phoenix: acquired taste, Mexican food, beautiful freeways, clear blue skies, air conditioning

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
It's been several months since I've posted here on the Phoenix forum... I'm hoping we've calmed down here and are able to have a rational conversation without personal attacks. I don't hold any grudges against any other posters here... and I hope that's mutual.

I graduated ASU in May, and I've been living in LA since June, attending USC for a full time master of accounting program. I've been studying like mad the last three months, but I've also met quite a few people, made some friends, and have done a fair bit of exploring on the weekends to get a sense of what LA is all about and how it compares to the other cities I've lived in and visited. I've been reflecting lately on the last four years I spent in Phoenix (Tempe specifically) as a student at ASU. One of the reasons I chose this program was the career recruiting program this school has. I've already been at a number of career fairs and "meet the firms" tours here and the deadline for applications to the major (inter)national firms is coming up fast. The first scheduled interviews are at the end of this month! So now push comes to shove and talk starts becoming decisions.

There are a few things I miss about Phoenix. I think Phoenix is without a doubt an acquired taste. After four years of it though, especially being a Sun Devil grad, I think I may have a piece of Phoenix still in me. (Other than my Fry's club card, which fortunately works at Ralphs too). A bunch of little things, some big, some little, but adding up. Like paying $400 a month for half a two bedroom apartment. Being able to jump on my bicycle and go for hours through the neighborhoods, sticking to the 1/2 mile and 1/4 mile neighborhood streets like College Ave, Dorsey Ln, Lakeshore Dr, Country Club (the one in Tempe, not the one in Mesa). Exploring EVERYWHERE, even big bad Apache Boulevard, without being too concerned that I'm going to get mugged by the latest crew of Bloods and Crips. Eating incredible Mexican food (and Mexican inspired food) and I know this is a bold, bold statement, but I believe the Mexican food in Phoenix is actually tastier than that found in LA! I miss having beautiful, state of the art freeways where you can approach any interchange you've never been to before and know exactly how to get on-- turn left to go left and right to go right. No 270 degree loop-di-doos, no corkscrews, no memorizing which street connects to 405 North vs 405 south.

People that are a little bit simpler in their tastes-- people who probably don't know what "steak tartare" is, probably wouldn't go out to a restaurant that serves that, and thank God for that! Where driving an older car doesn't make you look like a loser, and a Mercedes or a Lexus is actually considered a nice car, not just an average hunk of metal that blends into the background. (I guess Scottsdale is exempt from that last statement). Clear blue skies, crystal clear sunsets, and clear nights, uncluttered with thick haze. Being a few hours drive from incredible high desert and ponderosa pine tree landscapes. People who can be proud to be a Sun Devil without being arrogant ***holes sticking in your face how much superior your school is than theirs. (I support the Trojans too, especially when they play Ohio State, but I'm for ASU first and foremost, even if they'll probably end up losing anyway). Let's hope Sparky does many push ups this year! People who are A-OK with living in a city the size of Phoenix, relatively isolated out there in the middle of the desert, and don't feel the need to apologize for it. People who think Phoenix is a respectable city to live, work and play, to build a career, who don't think that even the second largest city in the nation isn't urban enough for them and are looking to move to the first largest to get that extra prestige. People who can still work hard without being overachieving workaholics.

Hot, hot, hot days, but dry, where at least when you step out of the car with the air conditioning running your glasses don't start fogging up (with the exception of occasional days in the summer monsoon or winter rain season). And yet still having palm trees, still having oleanders and bougainvilleas producing beautiful flowers, a whole array of desert vegetation that stays green year round and is arguably even more beautiful than the scrub vegetation of so-cal. Actually getting a few drops of rain in the summer (and from what I've heard this summer, it sounds like Phoenix has had quite a bit more than just a "few drops") so outdoor vegetation doesn't gather thick dust with gigantic cobwebs over every plant imaginable. But still having In-n-Out burger, El Pollo Loco, spanish tile roof architecture, western ranch style 1960s era homes (there are similar looking things in LA, but for some reason the architecture is not exactly the same-- there are some subtle differences in styles and colors between the two cities-- and I personally like Phoenix's mid-century style a tad more). Block fences everywhere-- at first I hated them, now I love them! And Phoenix is the world capital of cinder block fences! And still being chock full of pretty girls everywhere, every bit as attractive, maybe even a hair moreso as the ladies in SoCal.

Just enough international diversity to appreciate the many different cultures around the world but without feeling like you're living in a foreign country at times. Being able to actually afford living there without living like you're in a 3rd world country. A place where living with roommates means 2 people sharing a 2-bedroom apartment, not 2 or 3 or more people sharing a 1 bedroom apartment. A place where the business of getting around and living is just so god **** easy compared to LA.

There's really only one thing I don't miss-- the extreme heat. It's pretty hot here too during the day, and it's way too humid, but the nights (with just a few exceptions) actually cool down. I don't even have air conditioning-- wish I did, but I've managed to survive all right. At night with the fan blowing right next to the window I don't even need it. And the beach is there about 30 minutes away whenever I need to see it. I actually love deserts, but I like high elevation deserts-- like northern Arizona (Prescott or Sedona, especially) or Albuquerque, NM a lot more climate-wise than low deserts like Phoenix or Vegas. I like at least seeing a bit of snow each winter, and the thought of never seeing even an inch of snow again sounds sad... The thought of living in that barbaric month after month after month of heat again makes me shudder. HOWEVER, everything else about Phoenix "works" for me quite well. I think there's quite a bit I miss about Phoenix, when I think about it.

I'm still listing Denver as my #1 location preference. But I'm not here to talk about Denver, and I'm well aware that at least a dozen people on this forum hate that city with a passion, why, I'm not sure. I'm thinking I may list Phoenix as option #2, and possibly apply to a few firms I like that have Phoenix offices but aren't in Denver, just so I have my bases covered "in case." In most national firms and corporations, Phoenix is in the same regional division as southern California and it's only a 7 hour drive so I could theoretically drive out there the night before for a morning interview and then hit the road back to LA the next day. I'm okay with this place for the next 8 months while I work on my degree, but I just don't see how I could be happy living here after that. I think believe or not I'd rather live in Phoenix than LA. Now San Diego-- that's a whole different story. San Diego is NICE. Although for some reason as much as I love SD, I don't see myself wanting to push myself to actually live there. It's almost too perfect to actually live there! Phoenix is definitely an acquired taste, but for those who have acquired it, Phoenix does have a lot going for it.

Very good post VegasPilgrim! I hope you enjoy your stay in LA. As a person that's been here a long time, I can say that the traffic here takes a bit getting used to as it can be BAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherita View Post
Tell them you'll take the job only if you'll travel around the country and the world in June, July and August and beat MOST OF THE HEAT!
That would sure be sweet, wouldn't it? Unfortunately I don't think that's the way the business works. It's more like whenever they need you somewhere... there you go. Interestingly, the recruiters for this position are going straight to the program I'm in at USC to recruit first (they're Trojan alumni themselves... figures). Two of them drove up from the Phoenix office yesterday, expecting a turnout of 50-60 people. Only about ten people showed up, including me, and of those ten I think it's safe to say I'm the only one who would even consider living in Phoenix. Very few people here have ever been to Phoenix. Maybe I should convince my classmates to sign onto city-data and learn more about Phoenix here?

I'm kind of torn about the whole thing right now; I was not planning on moving back to Phoenix. A part of me really likes Phoenix, but another part of me does not want to move back there right now. If (or when?) I was going to move back to the desert southwest I actually would rather try out Albuquerque first. Albuquerque is almost my ideal city, at least on paper. I still had my heart set on going back to Denver for quite some time-- even this whole USC/LA thing was just a temporary detour for me. As you can tell, I am quite mixed up! Call me weird, but I wish I would have been born a generation earlier-- because I have a feeling I would have absolutely LOVED Phoenix back in the day when it was a much smaller, friendlier, even cooler place (especially at night).

Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Quote:
That would sure be sweet, wouldn't it? Unfortunately I don't think that's the way the business works. It's more like whenever they need you somewhere... there you go. Interestingly, the recruiters for this position are going straight to the program I'm in at USC to recruit first (they're Trojan alumni themselves... figures). Two of them drove up from the Phoenix office yesterday, expecting a turnout of 50-60 people. Only about ten people showed up, including me, and of those ten I think it's safe to say I'm the only one who would even consider living in Phoenix. Very few people here have ever been to Phoenix. Maybe I should convince my classmates to sign onto city-data and learn more about Phoenix here?

I'm kind of torn about the whole thing right now; I was not planning on moving back to Phoenix. A part of me really likes Phoenix, but another part of me does not want to move back there right now. If (or when?) I was going to move back to the desert southwest I actually would rather try out Albuquerque first. Albuquerque is almost my ideal city, at least on paper. I still had my heart set on going back to Denver for quite some time-- even this whole USC/LA thing was just a temporary detour for me. As you can tell, I am quite mixed up! Call me weird, but I wish I would have been born a generation earlier-- because I have a feeling I would have absolutely LOVED Phoenix back in the day when it was a much smaller, friendlier, even cooler place (especially at night).
NO! Do not steer anymore Californians to AZ, LOL! Keep them there, PLEASE. However, please to tell those Trojan alum to travel to Boston, Milwuakee, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. and recruit there.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
NO! Do not steer anymore Californians to AZ, LOL! Keep them there, PLEASE. However, please to tell those Trojan alum to travel to Boston, Milwuakee, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. and recruit there.
Will do. But don't worry, the vast majority of the people in my program want to stay in LA. Most of them won't even consider living anywhere else. A few want to go to OC (Irvine in particular is where a lot of the offices are), a few to San Diego, a few to San Francisco, one person I know wants to go to Chicago, I want to go to Denver (and possibly ABQ 5 years or so down the road after I build up some experience), and a handful of people want to go to New York City. The one person I know who said he might job search in Phoenix is from Tucson actually. One person who graduated from the program last year, went to ASU for her undergrad, and now is back in Phoenix. One of the employees I met yesterday from the Phoenix office was born and raised in LA, went to USC, and decided he wanted out of LA as soon as he graduated two years ago and ended up in Phoenix. He said he was extremely happy to start out in Phoenix and hasn't looked back since.

I always assumed that Californians were all moving out by the droves... and while it certainly seems that way in Phoenix and even in Denver to a lesser extent, the vast majority of people I meet here don't have plans to move anywhere.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Will do. But don't worry, the vast majority of the people in my program want to stay in LA. Most of them won't even consider living anywhere else. A few want to go to OC (Irvine in particular is where a lot of the offices are), a few to San Diego, a few to San Francisco, one person I know wants to go to Chicago, I want to go to Denver (and possibly ABQ 5 years or so down the road after I build up some experience), and a handful of people want to go to New York City. The one person I know who said he might job search in Phoenix is from Tucson actually. One person who graduated from the program last year, went to ASU for her undergrad, and now is back in Phoenix. One of the employees I met yesterday from the Phoenix office was born and raised in LA, went to USC, and decided he wanted out of LA as soon as he graduated two years ago and ended up in Phoenix. He said he was extremely happy to start out in Phoenix and hasn't looked back since.

I always assumed that Californians were all moving out by the droves... and while it certainly seems that way in Phoenix and even in Denver to a lesser extent, the vast majority of people I meet here don't have plans to move anywhere.
They are (or were) moving out in droves but I think the demographic moving is not the one you are rubbing elbows with in B-school. Believe it or not having a family changes your outlook on living overnight. People feel a lot different about what they want when they are young and single than they do after they have kid or more. Suburban life in LA means brutal commutes and high expenses for most young families. Phoenix offers that kind of life without nearly the hassles and expenses of the LA area. I don't know too many young turks who have moved to the Phoenix area from LA, but I know dozens of families that have.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Wow Veggie! You make me not sure I should leave! Congrats on your opportunities and I hope the best for you. Hopefully you come around more often, miss ya on here.
Lately I've been trying to appreciate all the things you talked about. It's all starting to get nice out here now, one more month and we will start seeing the smiling people again. lol

Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They are (or were) moving out in droves but I think the demographic moving is not the one you are rubbing elbows with in B-school. Believe it or not having a family changes your outlook on living overnight. People feel a lot different about what they want when they are young and single than they do after they have kid or more. Suburban life in LA means brutal commutes and high expenses for most young families. Phoenix offers that kind of life without nearly the hassles and expenses of the LA area.
Good point. Even if only a tiny percentage of Californians moved to AZ though, that would still be a huge number. It's just that there's so MANY Californians-- 36 million and growing!

Quote:
I don't know too many young turks who have moved to the Phoenix area from LA, but I know dozens of families that have.
Turks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Wow Veggie! You make me not sure I should leave! Congrats on your opportunities and I hope the best for you. Hopefully you come around more often, miss ya on here.
Lately I've been trying to appreciate all the things you talked about. It's all starting to get nice out here now, one more month and we will start seeing the smiling people again. lol
"Veggie"-- that's a first! I do love eating veggies though, so I guess that works too. I heard you had some awesome storms last night. On the other hand, one more month and then all the old snowbirds driving around RV's with Minnesota license plates start coming in!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
"Veggie"-- that's a first! I do love eating veggies though, so I guess that works too. I heard you had some awesome storms last night. On the other hand, one more month and then all the old snowbirds driving around RV's with Minnesota license plates start coming in! [/quote]

Ha ha, yeah, I love nick names, sorry. They always have nothing to do with peoples names.
I know, the old snowbirds are comin, no more heat but plenty of traffic and ozone alerts. Nothing like a bad air quality posting on a beautiful fall day but thats what the nice weather brings.
If you come back in the fall you'll be a snowbird veggie, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area