Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,652 times

Advertisements

(Inaugurating post

I've secured a condo to rent in Scottsdale (an area which from what I understand is hard to go wrong with) and I'm moving in a few weeks from Canada.

I'd like to get a head start on finding a house (to own) and I'm searching the internet but I'm not sure how to peg down no more than than six desirable zip codes without visiting and driving around (besides evaluating some of the stats I've seen on metro Phoenix neighbourhoods that indicate a 40% above national avg. crime rate).

Here are my parameters:

a. No more than 30 min. drive (but if it's 35 and you're thrilled to pieces about, then by all means) to downtown.
b. Best available schools within 15 min. drive.
c. High-end shopping (esp. grocery) within 15 min. drive.
d. Lowest possible crime
e. Developments less than five years old.
f. Places for kids to run and play without taking a wrong turn and running into trouble.

Prices notwithstanding, what are the six most popular family-friendly neighborhoods, or zip codes preferably (for internet searching), in the greater phoenix area. Right now all I'm sure about is that what I'm looking for exists in these outlying areas: Glendale, Scottsdale, Paradise, Mesa (not sure about that one actually). Any details about the level of comfort in these would gratefully recieved.

Afterword: In a broader sense, could someone explain this whole Valley system of divisions to me and which, if any, of these I can count on in my search.

Local perspective appreciated!

Sasha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,511 times
Price notwithstanding??

You are really going to need to throw a dollar range out there.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM

OK. Avg neighbourhood/zip price: $400 000 - $1000,000.

I'd just like to get a feel for some of the most thriving places for raising a family.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm learning a bit reading through the stickied post on this but it's quite a lot to take in.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashak View Post
OK. Avg neighbourhood/zip price: $400 000 - $1000,000.

I'd just like to get a feel for some of the most thriving places for raising a family.

Thanks
Anywhere with houses in that range is going to be a great area, but some of what you ask for tends to be mutually exclusive. Like development less than 5 years old and nearby good shopping, dining etc.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:17 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
Suggest that once you arrive, spend some time driving around. You will get a sense what different neighborhoods are about.

I am not even exactly sure where "downtown proper" is lol!

But I know that most of your other criteria are up here. Northern Scottsdale/northern Phoenix. Grocery and retail abound. And when you are done at the grocery, you can stop across the street at the spa for a massage and pickup a few rounds of golf at the next door golf course after dropping the kids off at the theater to take in an afternoon movie. ;-) If comfort is your game, this area is the place. Home of the "live like you are on vacation" dream.

You could also try around Arcadia or Biltmore maybe? These I think would put you closer to downtown (which I have already confessed I have no idea where that is but strongly suspect it is south and west of where I am). I am not exceptionally familiar with those neighborhoods, but understand they are very nice.

Not sure about your "less than 5 years old" thing tho? There is lot of newer construction up here, and a lot still UNDER construction up here, but also some older more established housing (ie I know my sister's house which is up here was built mid-80s).

A range up to $1M should get you about anywhere-other than maybe Paradise Valley.

Not sure what you mean by "Valley system of divisions"? Do you mean streets or neighborhoods or subdivisions?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM

24 posts, read 86,708 times
I live in 85260 and it would meet most of your criteria with home values: 400K-1000K and desert mountain HS district, homes are about a decade old...

85255 is best, home values: 500K-5000K and most of it is in Chaparral HS Dist (the best district in scottsdale/PV). It has the newest homes, gated communities with private parks for the kiddies... (DC RANCH is great) (McDowell Mtn Ranch is good too)

otherwise: 85253 (very expensive with little to offer famlies), 85258 (older), 85250 (older), 85259 (farther out), 85050 (convenient, but soso district)

in PHX: 85018 (arcadia only - ok school district) 85016 (camelback corridor only - but not a good school district)

I would suggest logging into www. susd. org to get school a boundry map in Scottsdale. all districts are good, but Chaparral, and Desert Mountain are best; avoid Coronado.

If you can afford private: Phoenix Country Day School (PV), Brophy/Xavier Prep (PHX), Notre Dame Prep (SCTS).

I think you should investigate DC ranch in Scottsdale... they meet all your needs: AJ's Fine Foods, Village Athletic Club, great community parks, most neighborhoods have private parks, and oh yea - the best public schools in the metro area.

Last edited by murphy2823; 09-21-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 12:35 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
I would really suggest spending time researching all this AFTER you move here and get all settled. You said you will be renting a condo, so you're ok for now on a place to live. Once you get a feel of the valley then it will come more easily to figure it out.

I would think there'd be more important things to do before your move to another country.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area