Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:41 PM

34 posts, read 192,897 times

Advertisements

Philo T. Farnsworth, the inventor of television, said to his son:

“There’s nothing on it worthwhile, and we’re not going to watch it in this household, and I don’t want it in your intellectual diet.”

One very smart Mormon, indeed!

Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,387 times
Default Mormons in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna35 View Post
Hi, we will be moving in June to either east Mesa, Chandler or Gilbert my friend told me there are a lot of mormons in these places, What kind of people are these mormons? I am strictly agnostic and I don't appreciate people trying to push religion on me or my family. Are they pushy?
I lived in Mesa for 7 years and my kids went to their schools. Mormon kids shunned the kids that weren't Mormons. My daughter used to come home and cry that she couldn't go to the birthday parties because we weren't Mormons. The school administrators were Mormon, the teachers were Mormon. They put the non-Mormon kids in separate classrooms.

They ruined the Mesa business district. Their temple is smack in the middle of the center of town, and they didn't lift a finger to promote a thriving independent business community. The town is dead, the businesses are closed. My friends and I in business closed and left town.

I can name business after business, closed. I drove past my old house, and it had only increased in value $40,000 in 20 years. The streets and buildings, homes were all dirty, the shopping centers were centers of crime. These were brand new beautiful stores, and now I wouldn't even rent an apartment in Mesa. They had to arrest 16 Mesa police officers in one bust years ago.

Mormons need to get a clue about business and communities, and money and investments. This is the United States. We are a diverse nation. The Constitution does not imply that you can set up your own little nation inside a nation. And good economics and investments also prove that you cannot control a community with repressive policies.

I invite the Mormons, and the rest of the curious, to visit Boulder Colorado. This is a community of independent businesses and creative ideas, and it is thriving, not boarded up.

I cancelled my house deal in Queen Creek over this. I would never invest a dime in a Mormon run community. Although Arizona has a monopoly on heat in the winter, I'm keeping my investment dollar far far away and my business dollar away from any Mormon controlled area.

And Mormons: Your children grow up and vandalize the community because they are rebelling against repression. If your temple in Mesa was that involved, they should have established a thriving community in 20 years. Instead, Mesa is a big dump. I wouldn't rent an apartment in Mesa. And to beat everything: after you ruined Mesa, you have the gall to pack up and try to escape what you created in Queen Creek. In 20 years, Queen Creek will be the biggest dump in the valley.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
I don't think most Mormons are as evil as the ones in the Zane Grey novels....I read a few of those and I was scared to death of Mormons by the end. Then again I was scared of Catholics after I saw "The Exorcist".

Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Yes, many cities out here, even in Az, are Mormon based. Im not one of them so dont know too much about their beliefs, exept that someone told me (and keep in mind its only hearsay) that one of their beliefs are that you arent allowed to have sex, even if youre married, unless its in 'trying' to have a baby. Never did research that one but it does sound a little far fetched. I know people of all religions and dont have a problem with any of them. With the exeption of the 7th Day Advantist, who I can tell you some pretty scarey experiences with them but wont go there, its too early in the morning to get all raveled up right now.

Last edited by country pride; 06-09-2007 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
We do have a mixture of religious denominations in our state, Jews, Mormons, Jahovah's Witnesses, Catholics, Evangelists (as myself) and all of the other Christian denominations, and I have nothing against any of them. The only "religious" group I don't want to see anywhere in the United States, or the world for that matter, is radical Islamists.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:23 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna35 View Post
Hi, we will be moving in June to either east Mesa, Chandler or Gilbert my friend told me there are a lot of mormons in these places, What kind of people are these mormons? I am strictly agnostic and I don't appreciate people trying to push religion on me or my family. Are they pushy?
I've known about 2 Mormons since I've been in Arizona. One used to live 6 miles from me here, but he wasn't a strict Mormon. He was a "pothead". I haven't seen or heard from him in 2 years now, so I assume he moved back to Utah (that's where he was from originally).

Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 PM

26 posts, read 169,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariH View Post
I lived in Mesa for 7 years and my kids went to their schools. Mormon kids shunned the kids that weren't Mormons. My daughter used to come home and cry that she couldn't go to the birthday parties because we weren't Mormons. The school administrators were Mormon, the teachers were Mormon. They put the non-Mormon kids in separate classrooms.

When was it that you lived here, 1952?
I moved to the Phoenix area (3 yrs ago), and rented a place in Mesa for awhile. I haven't had that experience at all with the Mormons I know -- and I'm Black! Given the things I had heard about racism in the Mormon community, I was pretty hesitant to move there. But so far they have been (generally) welcoming people.

That being said... I find any hyper-religious group to be a little strange and insular. But I can't say that they are really bad people -- they just tend to hang around those with similar family values. In that respect, they are no different than fundemental christians or any other group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariH View Post
They ruined the Mesa business district. Their temple is smack in the middle of the center of town, and they didn't lift a finger to promote a thriving independent business community. The town is dead, the businesses are closed. My friends and I in business closed and left town.

I can name business after business, closed. I drove past my old house, and it had only increased in value $40,000 in 20 years. The streets and buildings, homes were all dirty, the shopping centers were centers of crime. These were brand new beautiful stores, and now I wouldn't even rent an apartment in Mesa. They had to arrest 16 Mesa police officers in one bust years ago.

Mormons need to get a clue about business and communities, and money and investments. This is the United States. We are a diverse nation. The Constitution does not imply that you can set up your own little nation inside a nation. And good economics and investments also prove that you cannot control a community with repressive policies.
This is interesting... I honestly didn't stay informed of local politics while I lived in Mesa. How did Mormon control cause Mesa's downfall? I don't think having a Temple in the heart of the city is enough to deter good business. I had the impression it had more to do with the influx of illegals and crime. I'd be interested in hearing a little history.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 AM

112 posts, read 425,264 times
"Robert G. Allen Investment Advisor
Nolan D. Archibald CEO, Black and Decker
Clinton L. Arnoldus President, Central Pacific Bank
Jerry C. Atkin CEO, SkyWest Inc.
J. Ralph Atkin founder, SkyWest Airlines
Kirk Benson CEO, Headwaters, Inc. Headwaters
Evrett W. Benton President and Chief Executive Officer Five Star Quality Care, Inc.
H. Raymond Bingham CEO, Cadence Design Cadence
Lynn Blodgett
Executive Vice President, Affiliated Computer Services Inc Affiliated Computer Services, Inc.
Gary S. Baughman President, CEO (retired) Fisher-Price, Inc.
A. Blaine Bowman CEO, Dionex
Tony Burns CEO, Ryder Systems
Francis W. Cash CEO, La Quinta Properties, Inc.
Dave Checketts Chairman, Sports Capital Partners
Dale Christensen CFO, Micro General
M. Scott Collins CFO, JP Realty
S. David Colton senior vice president and general counsel, Phelps Dodge
William Compton CEO, Tropical Sportswear
Jonathan C. Coon President, 1-800 Contacts
Stephen R. Covey Chairman, Franklin Covey Company
Gary L. Crittenden CFO, American Express Company
Ron Dittemore director, space shuttle program
Philo T. Farnsworth (1906-1971) inventor (television) Thats right a mormon
invented your television.
Robert B. Ingebretsen (1949-2003) inventor (compact discs)"

:::::cough::::: Uh, CEO's and CFO's don't impress me as particularly smart people. Too many of them are really good at making share holders money at the expense of the workers and too many of them do dumb things, get fired with golden parachutes and get rehired at new companies they then mess up.

Just sayin'. ::::grin::::

Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,544 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the Original Poster. The fact that they have not responded beyond their original post, usually means they were posting just to get people all worked up. Yes, I think the post was ignorant.... but I also think it was started to fuel controversy.

It is good to know, that most people are happy living among their "Mormon" neighbors, because I am LDS... and will be shortly re-locating to AZ.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Mormons celebrate b-days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area