Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 AM

8 posts, read 7,902 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

Your posts abt Az weather are kinda of "scaring" ....
I intend moving Ph Az soon and was afraid too but I was told the heat is not that bad as it seems at first. You just need getting adjusted to it which you do after a while like to anything else. Like ArizonaBear says thinking of other places where people freezes now it may help....
Summer you have always cooler places to go... they are not that far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Wine View Post
Hi guys

I intend moving Ph Az soon and was afraid too but I was told the heat is not that bad as it seems at first. You just need getting adjusted to it which you do after a while like to anything else. Like ArizonaBear says thinking of other places where people freezes now it may help....
Oh, don't worry about it, it's the same for us at the end of summer that is it for someone in MN in the end of winter. You just get sick of the length of it but it isn't that bad. You will be fine.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:42 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Oh, don't worry about it, it's the same for us at the end of summer that is it for someone in MN in the end of winter. You just get sick of the length of it but it isn't that bad. You will be fine.
Exactly! If 4 million or so people in one of the largest cities in the US manage to survive it, so can you.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:54 PM

70 posts, read 209,647 times
Well here's my take on things....I lived in Joisey all my life....welll most of it except for a 6 year stint in the poconos , Pa..........I got tired of the ccccold and damp winters(mind you I'm in my 50's), the damp and rainey springs and falls( granted there are some "beautiful days" but it seems lately there are less and less. This past winter in Nj was horriffic.....lots of snow....several big storms, from the begining of Nov '10 till Jan 24th'11 when we moved to Beautiful Az the temps were in the 30's. And my arthritis in my hands, back and legs was acting up for the worse. We arrived on Feb 1st, '11 stayed in our house here 2 days with no heat, cause of a mix up between Sw Gas and my self( just so happened to be the 2 coldest days of the year)...no biggie it stayed a comfortable 68 deg in the house.......gas was turned on and the only time we use gas is to heat our shower water or fire up the hot tub.......Weather was perfect from then till June 1st when it warmed up...........June July Aug and sept we used A/C and our highest bill was $417 and that was Aug into Sept........ouch....not really because with the price of heating oil it would cost us about the same to heat the house in Joisey from Dec, Jan, Feb, and parts of Nov and March....so really it would cost more in Joisey...cause there were a few humid hot days ,.....even weeks in the summer we needed the A/C......... I drove a truck all my life and doing P&D work(city pick up and delivery) in a non airconditioned truck in the summer was pretty brutal....I guess that was my conditioning for the Arizona summers. I like the heat and I figure if it gets too hot I can either jump in the pool, go inside, go to the mall, go to the movies or even take a road trip to the mts to cool off. Oh yea ...if you are offended by my naked body then don't look in my backyard. >>>I'll take the heat over the cold any day...........and for all you people that are bitchin about the heat there are plenty of other places besides the Valey of the Sun for you to live....nobody twisted your arm to come here...and I don't think anybody will twist your arm to stay ........ just remember....happiness is in the heart, and if you ain't happy then leave....and don't let the cactus thorns stick you in the AZ!!!!
And if you ask me in 5 years how I like it here my answer will be the same.........I love the Desert and the Drrry Heat!!........... Sorry bout the rant but I just had to do it!!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 PM

464 posts, read 832,593 times
Default Port Wine...

...I don't know where you are currently but we moved from the midwest in January just hours before a horrible ice storm came in and closed down businesses and schools for 2-3 days.

I was wearing sandals and sundresses the 2nd wk. here as our neighbors commented on the cold and shivered in their sweaters and winter boots....at like 65-70...it made us as newbies chuckle.

We had plenty of time to adjust before the summer heat but it's just a bit cooler for us up here in the hills than down in downtown Phoenix. If you move here, try to move before the heat settles in or after so that you may acclimate easily.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:50 PM

289 posts, read 750,836 times
I think I heard somewhere that they are estimating that in 5 years, people in the Phoenix area will just start to spontaneously combust. That should pretty much end any threads and debates like this.

Rumor has it that Phoenix is located in a desert also.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
You can always tell the tourists and newbies and I was no exception the first couple years. At 75 the tourists and newbies will be the ones in shorts and flip flops and those who have been here a while will be rocking sweaters and parkas and boots lol.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 AM

475 posts, read 814,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
You can always tell the tourists and newbies and I was no exception the first couple years. At 75 the tourists and newbies will be the ones in shorts and flip flops and those who have been here a while will be rocking sweaters and parkas and boots lol.
75 is a warm summer day up here...... you bunch of wusses

I'll be swimming down there next week.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Wine View Post
Hi guys

There are two types of complaints regarding the heat. There is intensity and persistence. Most do not complain about the intensity as they anticipate that and realize it's going to be hot during our summers. However, what some of the locals on City Data do complain about is the persistent nature of the heat. Right now, the heat is not brutal however it's still going on and it's nearly Halloween. For many people, they welcome cold and a change in season and they are not getting that so they complain about the heat.

For me, I'm not really a seasonal guy. I don't care for seasons and would prefer it be warm all year round. I enjoy the sunshine and warm temperatures. And even though it's warm, I don't think it's unbearable at all and it's beautiful in the mornings and at night. I went for a run at 9 AM and it was beautiful. Also, we had some really nice weather in September too in which temps were in the 80's during the day. If I really tire of warmth, it's a quick drive to Sedona or Flagstaff I snow ski at least 4 times a year in Flagstaff or the White Mountains which is only a few hours drive north. What cold weather city can you drive a few hours and land in warm sunny weather in the winter?

Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There are two types of complaints regarding the heat. There is intensity and persistence. Most do not complain about the intensity as they anticipate that and realize it's going to be hot during our summers. However, what some of the locals on City Data do complain about is the persistent nature of the heat. Right now, the heat is not brutal however it's still going on and it's nearly Halloween. For many people, they welcome cold and a change in season and they are not getting that so they complain about the heat.

For me, I'm not really a seasonal guy. I don't care for seasons and would prefer it be warm all year round. I enjoy the sunshine and warm temperatures. And even though it's warm, I don't think it's unbearable at all and it's beautiful in the mornings and at night. I went for a run at 9 AM and it was beautiful. Also, we had some really nice weather in September too in which temps were in the 80's during the day. If I really tire of warmth, it's a quick drive to Sedona or Flagstaff I snow ski at least 4 times a year in Flagstaff or the White Mountains which is only a few hours drive north. What cold weather city can you drive a few hours and land in warm sunny weather in the winter?
This is true. I'm a native and I almost never complain about the intensity. It's hot. If you work, you probably don't spend a lot of time outside in the hottest part of the day, anyway. No big deal. I only start to complain around times like last week. Temps in the 90s are a lot better than 110, but I'm just tired of it.

You're also dead on about the mornings and nights. I actually think it's pretty nice early in the AM all the way up until mid/late July. I like to mountain bike and not only is the weather fine, the trails are nearly empty during the summer.

Truth be told, I actually think the perfect temperature is somewhere between 55 and 65 degrees (as a native, that seems really strange), but I don't think the summers here are a big deal, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area