Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,242 times

Advertisements

We have rock landscape in the front yard to conserve water and grass in the back.

As the poster stated above, rock landscaping adds a LOT more heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,348,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
We live in an historic district in Central Phoenix where the homes were built in the 1920-1940 timeframe. The neighborhood is characterized by lawns and large trees. There are a few homes with desert landscapes but they don't really fit. Yes, somebody made a decision to cover up the desert and make it look like the midwest but that ship sailed before most people here were born.

We came over on different ships, but we're in the same BOAT now!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
We have rock landscape in the front yard to conserve water and grass in the back.

As the poster stated above, rock landscaping adds a LOT more heat.
As the government of New Mexico astutely notes, "Xeriscaping does not mean Zeroscaping" (http://www.ose.state.nm.us/water-info/conservation/xeriscape-101.html - broken link). "Once upon a time, some landscapers used lots of rocks and a few sparse plants to create low-water-use landscaping. This kind of landscaping is now called "zeroscaping." It is not the same as xeriscaping."

You are right about gravel producing a furnace effect, especially if not shaded by a tree and/or shrubs; woodchips or other organic material would be a much better choice, but it needs to be replaced more often and doesn't stand up to high winds as well. Consider the use of pavers in appropriate areas, set wide enough apart that it doesn't look like a patio and planted in between with groundcovers such as thyme, moss roses or other creeping plants. See this excellent WikiHow for a "How-To".

You might be surprised by how wonderful xeriscaping can look when done properly. If you wanted to you could just knock the socks off your neighbors with your front (and back) yard landscaping, making them lawn-green with envy. And you don't have to do it all at once; you can do a bit here, a bit there.

Some examples of what really good xeriscaping can look like? Start with this picture, from Snapshots of Colorado courtesy of LeslieT's blog at Turning Toward the Light. (Colorado has been in the forefront of water conservation.)

Note that not all of the trees, etc. are necessarily good choices for Phoenix. Here is a good list of trees for the Phoenix area: http://www.gardeninginarizona.com/Li...enixTrees.html and Shrubs: http://www.gardeninginarizona.com/Li...nixShrubs.html

Here are some more images of what is possible, from various places. First up, from British Columbia, courtesy of ccconserv.org

Next: Xeriscape landscaping features well-planned and often breathtaking designs of many varieties of plants such as evergreens, wildflowers, prairie grasses and velvety groundcovers to offer year-round natural beauty. With an abundance of fragrant and colorful options, Xeriscape gardens are perfect for attracting butterflies, bumblebees, birds and other urban wildlife. Photo Credit: Xeriscape Colorado. (http://www.xeriscape.org/ - broken link)

Next: Photo courtesy of Sunbelt Landscaping (http://www.sunbelt-landscaping.com/xeriscape.html - broken link) in Colorado

Just because the xeriscaping you see around most houses is "zeroscaping" doesn't mean YOU have to do it that way.

PS: If you want to look at one of the best Web sites on the Net for information (and pics) about what to plant in a hot, dry climate, go to http://www.hotgardens.net/

Last edited by Baja Boomer; 01-22-2009 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Corrected URL

Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Looks like Tucson.
And Apache Junction

Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
For me, the ideal would be to have desert landscaping in the front and grass in the back. Grass is much better for kids and pets to run and play on. They can't play very well in the desert landscape.

Where I live, we can't have desert landscape, and that's ok with me.

A rental property that I own has great desert landscaping in the front and the back. The back has lots of cactus plants with some small (less than 12 inch diameter) cacti with very large thorns.

A new tenant there has 2 Pekingese dogs. They have rather large protuding eyes, so the tenant asked for permission to place some wire fencing around each of those type plants to protect their eyes until they get used to the yard and learn to stay away from the cacti.

While desert landscaping is nice, a desert yard is just not pet and child friendly.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:31 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
For me, the ideal would be to have desert landscaping in the front and grass in the back. Grass is much better for kids and pets to run and play on. They can't play very well in the desert landscape.

Where I live, we can't have desert landscape, and that's ok with me.

A rental property that I own has great desert landscaping in the front and the back. The back has lots of cactus plants with some small (less than 12 inch diameter) cacti with very large thorns.

A new tenant there has 2 Pekingese dogs. They have rather large protuding eyes, so the tenant asked for permission to place some wire fencing around each of those type plants to protect their eyes until they get used to the yard and learn to stay away from the cacti.

While desert landscaping is nice, a desert yard is just not pet and child friendly.
I have a 16000 sf cul-de-sac lot so have a huge backyard by PHX standards. I had grass in much of it till I couldn't take the water bill anymore. I got rid of all but a small patch and replaced it with 1/4 minus instead of the usual chunky stuff. Turns out that will a little rain, it packs down nicely and it is extremely easy to rake and keep litter free. The dogs like it, too, and hang out in the gravel part. My kids are past the playing in the grass age now so I am considering getting rid of the patch as well. The one little patch of grass takes more effort and money to keep up than the entire remaining lot. I like the eye-candy effect it has when you look out the window, but wonder if it is worth it anymore.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 AM

683 posts, read 2,650,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My kids are past the playing in the grass age now so I am considering getting rid of the patch as well. The one little patch of grass takes more effort and money to keep up than the entire remaining lot. I like the eye-candy effect it has when you look out the window, but wonder if it is worth it anymore.
You might want to consider some artificial turf. I'm working on my yard and I put in a putting green that takes up about 25% of my backyard. The kids love it and the dogs love it and of course, I love it. I'm taking strokes off my game every day now. It looks beautiful, but it does get hot in the summer. This summer I'm going to cover another 25% of the yard with real grass for my kids and my dogs to use during the summer.

I'm xeriscaping all of my front yard and all of my back yard. Some people may wonder how I can say I'm xeriscaping everything if I have grass in my yard. But if you do some researching on xeriscaping, you'll find that grass can be included if it serves a purpose. The grass in my yard is a play area for our family and dogs, it also provides a cooling effect in an area next to the house that receives full sun in the afternoon. Like Baja Boomer showed, it's xeriscaping, not zeroscaping.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Just because the xeriscaping you see around most houses is "zeroscaping" doesn't mean YOU have to do it that way.
Baja, when I mentioned our rock landscaping in the front yard...
We do have more than just rocks. I was keeping my post short and to the point earlier.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM

272 posts, read 1,510,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Baja, when I mentioned our rock landscaping in the front yard...
We do have more than just rocks. I was keeping my post short and to the point earlier.
Oh dear. I wasn't actually talking to/about you specifically, even though I quoted you. I meant the great all-inclusive you/we. OMG I think I just channeled a Star Trek episode, the one with the mysterious "Landru" computer character: "You speak strangely, friend, are you from away?" LOL

Have I been 'absorbed' and become 'part of the body'?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:41 PM

Baja,
I wasn't being snarky. Just razzing ya. LOVE the pictures btw!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area