Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to either Atlanta or Phoenix and would like input. We have no kids, are young professionals (late 20's). Things important to us include:

-Access to travel
-Warmer climate (We currently live in a 4 seasons climate in Wa state)
-Jobs (Accounting and Insurance)
-Range of activities available.

Would prefer to live in the city but understand that both cities are more car towns. Seems to us that perhaps the job market is a bit better in Phoenix and the potential for real estate growth greater. The downside for Phoenix is the hot summers and air quality. Both cities seem to be within 6 hours or so of the beach by car.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 01:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate to either Atlanta or Phoenix and would like input. We have no kids, are young professionals (late 20's). Things important to us include:

-Access to travel

Would prefer to live in the city but understand that both cities are more car towns. Seems to us that perhaps the job market is a bit better in Phoenix and the potential for real estate growth greater. The downside for Phoenix is the hot summers and air quality. Both cities seem to be within 6 hours or so of the beach by car.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
I live in Phoenix and one of my good friends recently moved to Atlanta (Buckhead). Personally, I would choose Atlanta. There are more big businesses based there. I don't think there is a single global 500 company based in Phoenix, Atlanta has five. Both are hot during the summer, but Phoenix is worse. Atlanta seems more cosmopolitan but that is purely my subjective viewpoint. Also, although Atlanta is generally a car-based city, there are pockets where one can have a urban experience. Midtown and Buckhead are full of condos and townhomes and there is MARTA. The development in Atlanta along the Peachtree Corridor is becoming transit oriented development akin to Arlington, VA. Phoenix simply doesn't have that option.

The positives of Phoenix are, of course, the access to outdoors activities you can only get in the West. The hiking and mountains are much better here. You are also close to the Pacific coast, which trumps the East Coast beaches for beauty. Still, I would go with Atlanta.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
My wife and I are looking to relocate to either Atlanta or Phoenix and would like input. We have no kids, are young professionals (late 20's).
That's a tough call. A decade ago when my career seemed stalled, the one place my wife and I considered for relocation was Atlanta. It was the only U.S. city that appealed to me as much as Phoenix. Fortunately, my career got back on track in Phoenix and I'm happily settled here for the long term.

Both cities offer abundant job opportunities, a sense of opportunity, and high-quality cultural offerings. Both have experienced rapid growth with resulting strain on infrastructure. In both cities, the core of the metro area has embraced rail transit (although Atlanta was 20 years earlier than Phoenix) while some suburbs resist it.

The main differences lie in climate, terrain, and outdoor recreation opportunities. Phoenix does seem to have a lot more parkland -- both in the city and nearby -- than Atlanta, so consider that if you enjoy hiking and similar pursuits. Otherwise, I think you need to visit both cities and look them over carefully before reaching a decision.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 PM

18 posts, read 227,788 times
Default Phoenix Definity

Choose Phoenix. I've been to both and experianced both. Atlanta is the capital of the south, the most sophisticated city in THE SOUTH. It's still southern and athough progressive to me feels much more like a middle american city then Phoenix. Atlanta is much more conservative and has a much more east coast vibe yet far inland. Atlanta is neat and I would live their given certain choices but not over phoenix. Phoenix is much more laid back. It's a westcoast city but farther inland. It is technically in middle America but unlike Atlanta, it is not middle American attitude. Plus your closer to L.A. San Francisco, and Las Vegas

As far as the weather, Phoenix is much nicer. Yes the negative is it gets hellishly hot in the summer and not uncommon for temperatures in July and August to climb to 120 Degreez. But that is the only negative part. The rest is great. Phoenix recieves over 350 days of sun a year. In Atlanta it rains constantly and cloudy days last weeks. Also in the winter, it gets much much colder in Atlanta. Infact I was in both in January(both cities coldest month) and in Phoenix their was endless sunny blue sky with 65 Degreez!!!! and january nights ever fall below 41 Degreez!!!. In Atlanta It is more the opposite the high in January or at least when I was there was 40 degreez and dropped to about 18 at night brrrrrrrr!!!! Also Atlanta gets 4 inches of snow annually. No snow i Phoenix, just beautiful blue warm sky. Also Atlanta is humid so 90 their feels like 120 and in winter 30 degreez feels like 10.

Over all Phoenix is takes the cake CHOOSE PHOENIX

Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 PM

31 posts, read 36,017 times
Default Don't choose either

I live in Phoenix and I've visited Atlanta, once. Neither place is good and for dissimilar reasons but the severity of those is equal. Atlanta is completely landlocked and gentrified all over the place, and sprawl and traffic is simply incredible. I hear summers are unbearable and crime is unbelievable.

Phoenix is a gigantic northwest suburb of Chicago, with vacuous uncultured wanna-be Hollywood people, fake women and sex-crazed men, and nothing to do except eat burritoes, go to restaurants and movies, and watch rich people constantly play while you make sub-standard wages and cost of living continually skyrockets. Phoenix used to be good 10 years ago but their constant opposition to managed growth programs has ruined any logical chance at proper urbanization. Neocons rule and run it, damn them all to hell.

I highly recommend the Austin area or Houston, since it sounds like you're looking for a warm climate and a relatively mature and urbanized area then these would be ideal. Allergies may be a problem, especially in Austin.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM

Phoenix is more of a Southwest burb of Chicago, but I agree with the vibe.

Also, although Houston is cheap it is VERY conservative, much more than Phoenix or Atlanta. It does have a better urban feeling than Phoenix, maybe not Atlanta though (MARTA has been around for awhile now, I think the late 1980's). Also, Atlanta is a big place for educated people from the Northeast to move now, especially people right out of college. That influences the culture and general sophistication of the place. Phoenix and Houston, not so much.

Austin would be the best bet if you can square away a job there. Probably one of the best smaller cities in the US actually. The negatives: summer weather stinks (but not as bad as Phoenix) and the job market can be tight because of all the grads from UT who want to stay in Austin (I was one of them, btw). Add to that it has become one of the new "in" places to move for people. But it is a great town.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 PM

56 posts, read 56,303 times
Quote:

-Access to travel
In the information that I have found, and from my time spent visiting Atlanta, then I'd pick Atanta by a long way. It has an urban culture and a downtown, mild to warm climate, lower crime in the greater metropolitan area, and a much better city to invest in. Buy a house in Phoenix and it is expected to lose money in the next few years. Buy a house or condo in Atlanta and it will make 15-35% depending on which part over the next five years. Midtown is booming and a lot of fun and with lots more to come too.

Phoenix is also a more conservative city as Maricopa County went to Bush in 2004, while Fulton County did not. Business opportunities are about the same as each other. A car isn't as necessary in Atlanta either, and there is some history in the area, and much more to see and do as well it seems. Austin would also be a good choice, but jobs and business is not as strong as Atlanta, or Phoenix for that matter either, and the investment growth won't be as high either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboar View Post
I hear summers are unbearable and crime is unbelievable.
Actually the summers are fine as they're not consistantly the same temp each day, and the crime in the metro area is lower than it is in Phoenix.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Also, although Houston is cheap it is VERY conservative, much more than Phoenix or Atlanta.
Maybe in the suburbs, but not inside the city. It's never had a Republican mayor, and houses one of the largest gay populations around (Montrose). So it's certainly not liberal, but I'd never call it "VERY conservative"...

Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Maybe in the suburbs, but not inside the city. It's never had a Republican mayor, and houses one of the largest gay populations around (Montrose). So it's certainly not liberal, but I'd never call it "VERY conservative"...
Well, I think it is debatable. But here are the result from the 2004 election:
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/

Harris County (Houston)
55%-45% Bush

Maricopa County (Phoenix)
57%-42% Bush

Fulton County (Atlanta)
59% - 40% Kerry

So, in the case of Phoenix, you are right. Houston is probably slightly more liberal than Phoenix. Compared to Atlanta..Houston is Utah!

I'm originally from Texas and I know that Houston is a conservative place, especially given that it is a major city. Don't get me wrong, I kinda like Houston, especially as compared to Phoenix. But it is to the right and when compared to other cities, I would say it is way to the right. This is especially true if you look at it socially as Houston (and Texas in general) is very religious.

And Houston may have never elected a Republican mayor, but remember for a long time Texas had never elected a Republican governor. Republicanism is a fairly recent phenomenon on Texas, but it has been conservative for a LONG TIME.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:48 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Aside from the completely irrational implication that voting for Bush vs. Kerry determines whether one is conservative or liberal, it is wholly inappropriate to compare Arizona's mega-counties to Georgia's mini-counties. Fulton county is about 50% minority and much of it is impoverished. If you compare voting precincts with similar demographics I think you will find that GA 'burbs are every bit as "conservative" as AZ burbs are. If any eastern liberals move to Atlanta, I bet they don't stay liberals for long. It's a lot easier to love the poor, the minorities, illegal immigrants, and the drug addicts when you don't have to rub elbows with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area