Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 AM

51 posts, read 238,995 times

Advertisements

So, I'm moving from Mi to Az in a couple months. I drive a relatively new car. I heard that license plate fees are quite a bit higher in Az, compared to Mi, so I was thinking of renewing my license plate tabs prior to moving out there. How do the cops treat people with out of state plates? I know that when I drive down to Ohio, from Mi, I'll get pulled over for speeding even if I'm going .001 mph over the speed limit because Ohio cops hate Michiganders. However, Michigan cops are pretty nice no matter where your plate says that you're from. So, what's up with Az cops and out of towners?

Old 03-13-2007, 10:08 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Hi, I've only been down here a few months myself. I drive a 2004 Honda Pilot and paid $628.04 (2yrs). You can imagine my mood after I left the DMV. My Husband drives a 2002 VW Golf and paid $263.18 (2yrs). Although my Husband had to transfer his registration immediately, now I wish I had waited on mine. We went to the DMV knowing it would be steep but I didn't fathom it would beTHAT steep! According to the security guards at his job, they told him to get his plates changed ASAP b'c the cops would literally park just outside the gates to catch folks who just moved here to AZ and started with the company. I don't get how that's fair since there is an adjustment period when you move and how the heck do they know if the people leaving the building weren't just from out of town or something. Anyway, I had my NY plates for about a month and never really had a problem with cops. I don't speed excessively so I'm not always on the lookout to begine with but there does seem to be a pretty consistent presence of police officers manning the highways. Traffic is pretty awful and accidents are VERY common occurrences here. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGuyMi View Post
So, I'm moving from Mi to Az in a couple months. I drive a relatively new car. I heard that license plate fees are quite a bit higher in Az, compared to Mi, so I was thinking of renewing my license plate tabs prior to moving out there. How do the cops treat people with out of state plates? I know that when I drive down to Ohio, from Mi, I'll get pulled over for speeding even if I'm going .001 mph over the speed limit because Ohio cops hate Michiganders. However, Michigan cops are pretty nice no matter where your plate says that you're from. So, what's up with Az cops and out of towners?
What you propose (living here, holding a job and driving on out of state plates) is against the law and gets you a very large fine. They start checking employers lots in about April when the snowbirds leave looking for that. Another spot that gets checked is schools with people dropping off their kids. There may even be a bounty for people who turn you in.

My .02 is that if you decide to move here, pay your taxes like everyone else and don't break our laws and don't freeload off of those of us who live here to pick up the tab for the roads, schools, etc for you - especially for someone who derives their income directly from those taxes like a teacher does. Property taxes here are a fraction of what they are in Michigan so it all works out.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Traffic is pretty awful and accidents are VERY common occurrences here. Good luck.
I've lived here for nearly 35 years and have never been in a traffic accident. I think it depends on your driving to some extent.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Default How to report license plate violators...

For all you zonies that get mad over the millions of dollars we have to pay for lawbreakers who won't register their cars here when they move, here's how to turn 'em in:

Phone: 1-800-657-4322

Internet form: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/motorvehicl...tAViolator.ASP

Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
The people out here still have the wild west mentality, so if they caught you with out of state plates they would probably make you serve jail time (yes, jail). And I wouldn't put it past some of these wanna-be Wyatt Earps to report you. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
The people out here still have the wild west mentality, so if they caught you with out of state plates they would probably make you serve jail time (yes, jail). And I wouldn't put it past some of these wanna-be Wyatt Earps to report you. Good luck.
LOL!

I don't know if I was one of the culprits that offended anybody but I sincerely apologize if I did. It's a HUGE shock for someone who just move here and find out how much taxes they have to pay on their car.

With that said, whoever mentioned about property taxes, is that really true? I've been looking at houses online and the website sometimes shows how much taxes were paid in the previous year. Sometimes it's only in the hundreds or low 1000s. At first I thought it had to be a mistake but the more homes I viewed, I kept seeing the same range. I even made the same comment to my husband that I guess the property taxes will make up for the vehicle tax .... when we buy a home.

My vehicle insurance actually went UP moving here from New York so I guess driving around here, at least according to my insurance company, is a bigger risk.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Moving from CA the vehicle license fees were a gift. We could not wait to get through the MVD process to get our AZ plates. Property taxes were less for a larger home here, so again, another gift. Some of the happiest transplants I have met here have been from N.J. Their property taxes are horrible. So, I guess you take the good with the bad, or in our case, the "good."

Old 03-13-2007, 11:46 AM

It's not a typo. Property taxes are a little less than 1% of actual value as a rule of thumb. We did all enjoy big increases in value (and assessed value) recently and the impact of that is not in current tax bills. I don't think it will matter much, if at all. Taxes went DOWN last year for many of us even though assessed values were up. Homeowner's insurance is less here too than in many places. Our hazards are largely human - burglary. You need to shop carefully for both home and auto as there can be a huge variation among companies. Also on taxes, AZ income tax rates are lower than most places that have income tax - particulary for the well-to-do - and they were reduced this year.

Coming from New York, the reduction in property taxes and income taxes ought to be enough to make the car payment for a year as well as pay the registration.

BTW, vehicle license tax is deductible.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Warner View Post
Moving from CA the vehicle license fees were a gift. We could not wait to get through the MVD process to get our AZ plates. Property taxes were less for a larger home here, so again, another gift. Some of the happiest transplants I have met here have been from N.J. Their property taxes are horrible. So, I guess you take the good with the bad, or in our case, the "good."
Point taken! Can I ask how much are vehicle taxes in CA? Is it based on a percentage, too? I can't imagine it being worse! Actually, I'm very glad we moved to AZ. You are right, good with the bad. We can afford a house here. Right now, it's about finding the right one. In NY, we had to "settle" for a house 100+ years old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area