Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoranges View Post
We almost retired to Phoenix, but then our daughter went on the college program at Disneyworld and we fell in love with beautiful Florida. The best part is the people. They have Southern hospitality and come over and ring your doorbell. I love it. It's impossible to be bored with Florida passes. We don't even get to the beaches, which are 60 miles East or West of us.
What does this have to do with Phoenix? Not trying to be rude, as you present no hostility, still... I'm glad you enjoy your "southern hospitality" but I'm more inclined to the Georgia variety and Arizona's social welcomeness and openness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 PM

132 posts, read 426,944 times
That applesoranges just keeps crapping all over Phoenix by trying to compare it to Florida. I've lived in Florida - guess what? PHOENIX ISN'T FLORIDA.

Your user name is applesoranges for crying out loud, and you're going to compare two DRASTICALLY different regions of the United States? This is like saying LA and NYC are the same because they're both huge - but they're not!

There's nothing to even compare. You can compare to Phoenix to Albuquerque, Vegas, heck even Palm Springs - but trying to say Florida is better than Phoenix because of it's proximity to the beach and because of "southern" hospitality is a crock.

My guess is you live in some happy-dappy urban sprawl development with tons of retirees so you're blind to what Florida really is. I've lived in Orlando, Melbourne, Ft. Lauderdale, and even parts of Tampa - Florida isn't the South, it's Florida. Florida is it's own little world.

If we're going to compare at least let's do weather then - I'll take the heat over terrential downpours, hurricane preparedness from May - November, nothing but humidity that's WORSE than the dry heat in the American Southwest, and bugs nastier than anything you've seen. Sorry, but again, we're comparing a booming metropolis in excess of 6,000,000 people to a whole state - most of which is a tourist hub or pretty grimey? Come on.

PHX has a lot of unfavorable parts - I mean heck, most of the US does, but given the metro-area's size it's nothing compared to at least 50% of the whole state of Florida.

Good luck to your retirement in FL, I know you'd never get me back there.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 23,127 times
Default Wow

I have been in Phoenix for a little over a year, and I have two things to say.

If you can't find anything to do here, you aren't looking.
Plus when you have done everything there is to do in the Valley you have Flagstaff and other surrounding cities. Then when you have done all of that and have a few days off work, you can visit LA, San Diego, Mexico, and on, and on.

And if anyone is complaining about people here driving fast... where? The speedlimit on the interstate is 55 and 65... off the interstate people are always driving slow. Makes me sad.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybodyjumpin View Post
I have been in Phoenix for a little over a year, and I have two things to say.

If you can't find anything to do here, you aren't looking.
Plus when you have done everything there is to do in the Valley you have Flagstaff and other surrounding cities. Then when you have done all of that and have a few days off work, you can visit LA, San Diego, Mexico, and on, and on.

And if anyone is complaining about people here driving fast... where? The speedlimit on the interstate is 55 and 65... off the interstate people are always driving slow. Makes me sad.
People who think Phoenix drivers are fast and arrogant surely haven't been to California.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM

133 posts, read 191,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
That applesoranges just keeps crapping all over Phoenix by trying to compare it to Florida. I've lived in Florida - guess what? PHOENIX ISN'T FLORIDA.

Your user name is applesoranges for crying out loud, and you're going to compare two DRASTICALLY different regions of the United States? This is like saying LA and NYC are the same because they're both huge - but they're not!

There's nothing to even compare. You can compare to Phoenix to Albuquerque, Vegas, heck even Palm Springs - but trying to say Florida is better than Phoenix because of it's proximity to the beach and because of "southern" hospitality is a crock.

My guess is you live in some happy-dappy urban sprawl development with tons of retirees so you're blind to what Florida really is. I've lived in Orlando, Melbourne, Ft. Lauderdale, and even parts of Tampa - Florida isn't the South, it's Florida. Florida is it's own little world.

If we're going to compare at least let's do weather then - I'll take the heat over terrential downpours, hurricane preparedness from May - November, nothing but humidity that's WORSE than the dry heat in the American Southwest, and bugs nastier than anything you've seen. Sorry, but again, we're comparing a booming metropolis in excess of 6,000,000 people to a whole state - most of which is a tourist hub or pretty grimey? Come on.

PHX has a lot of unfavorable parts - I mean heck, most of the US does, but given the metro-area's size it's nothing compared to at least 50% of the whole state of Florida.

Good luck to your retirement in FL, I know you'd never get me back there.
Calm down! We do not live in a "retirement" place, yuk! The humiditiy in Orlando is usually in the 40% range which is perfect. You don't dry up!! You said grimey? LOL. Florida is the cleanest place, I've ever seen
and beautiful, floral greener, tropical greenery, alot like Hawaii and yes, the people have Southern Hospitality. They get along and are happy. You could learn from that.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 PM

133 posts, read 191,388 times
By the way we get NO hurricanes in Orlando, too far inland and no torrential rain. In fact, if it does rain, it gets over quickly. And we have no smog.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Calm down! We do not live in a "retirement" place, yuk! The humiditiy in Orlando is usually in the 40% range which is perfect. You don't dry up!! You said grimey? LOL. Florida is the cleanest place, I've ever seen
and beautiful, floral greener, tropical greenery, alot like Hawaii and yes, the people have Southern Hospitality. They get along and are happy. You could learn from that.
Clearly, you're in some nestled community inland. The "real" Florida isn't clean, beautiful, floral greener, tropical greenery, and a lot like Hawaii. I'm a very happy person but I know from my time of living in Florida that you are living in a delusional mindset if you think the whole state is like that. Until you see other parts that aren't geared towards tourists - and visit real cities, real neighborhoods.. you'll see how far off any of your analyiziational skills are. Seriously, 40% humidity? That's a load of crap - I don't care where you live in FL, there's no way you're facing ONLY 40% humidity any day in the summertime. That's a blatant falsehood.

Quote:
By the way we get NO hurricanes in Orlando, too far inland and no torrential rain. In fact, if it does rain, it gets over quickly. And we have no smog.
Of course you don't - there's no smog restrictions in Florida. Heck the population of Phoenix alone in that dense area is is nothing comapred to some of the larger metropolises in Florida, but you think that's a perk? Seriously, you're not experiencing the real FL. I don't care what you tell yourself to make you think that you're in some magical wonderland, but you're not. A terrential downpour is a quick rain - but the fact that it can get so bad you have to stop driving because you can't see two inches in front of you is burdensome.

And never say never. When I lived in Melbourne, a hurricane hadn't touched down in nearly 50 years. It's not in your usual hurricane path, even being on the coast. In the time I was there, we were directly hit by one and Katrina scuffed by us, putting power out for two weeks.

So please, again, how does any of this relate to Phoenix? Was it the hurricane watches, the constant and non-stop rain, the humidity (which is there - in the whole state of FL), or what? I must be missing something because I don't recall 110+ dry heat in any of Florida, nor do I recall winters that are comfortable and not freezing at times, or real smog issues. I must be thinking of somewhere else.

Make sure you check out parts of Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Coral Gables, heck anywhere in Dade or Broward Co. since it's all some magical paradise.

Let's compare some more.

I have nothing against the state of Florida - I personally didn't care for living there, it wasn't for me. I also grew up partially in the South so I knew what to expect. But the fact now that you're truly comparing Phoenix to your little world instead of the whole state like you were really doing at first with no first-hand knowledge is what makes this interesting. You can't even compare where you live now to anywhere in the Valley because it's not the same. It won't be. No city in FL is going to be comparable to anywhere in the American Southwest. I don't understand the point of comparing but the fact that you keep crapping all over Phoenix is just annoying when you honestly have no ability to compare anything at all.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
I have nothing against Orlando, and I refuse to get into your argument with Handiquack, but at least be honest. I have been to Orlando before on vacation, and it was raining everyday. 40% humidity?? c'mon now. I just looked up the current weather, and it is currently at 95% humidity, and there is rain in the forecast everyday. To further my point, Orlando gets more yearly rainfall than even Seattle. The reason there is no smog is because it is always raining which cleans the air.

Orlando, Florida (32801) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have nothing against Orlando, and I refuse to get into your argument with Handiquack, but at least be honest. I have been to Orlando before on vacation, and it was raining everyday. 40% humidity, c'mon now. I just looked up the current weather, and it is currently at 95% humidity, and there is rain in the forecast everyday.

Phoenix humidity right now: 18%

Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have nothing against Orlando, and I refuse to get into your argument with Handiquack, but at least be honest. I have been to Orlando before on vacation, and it was raining everyday. 40% humidity?? c'mon now. I just looked up the current weather, and it is currently at 95% humidity, and there is rain in the forecast everyday. To further my point, Orlando gets more yearly rainfall than even Seattle.

Eh, it's not my intention to feed trolls I just can't stand it when people feel the need to blatantly lie about certain things to prove a point. That 40% humidity is what set me off since I don't care if she lives on the coast or inland, you're still going to face 90%+ humidity almost every day from June - September. Given that she said she can drive whatever distance either way to get to the beach, that's obviously inland and even if she's not in Orlando it's more humid inland than it is on the coast.. I just don't see the need to lie to trash a city you personally just don't care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area