Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,702,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Indeed. They are soooooooooooooo sweet. I must instill some sense of discipline, yet it's oh so hard to do. They are baby dolls. If you know the history of Shih Tzus, they are descended from China like Imperial Dogs, or Lion Dogs. IOW, they are regal and command respect. The other day I said, "I am ALPHA!" That lasted for about five minutes.
Alpha maid, the sweet dogs should allow you to keep the job, and not be fired, for now! They may write you up, but one may shred it for a bribe! Somebody where I live has 2, a Lucy, and a Desie! She is the Alpha
walker bean! There look is priceless! She goes to the store, and would get each there toy, way to go! However, she did learn one will do! There toys
forget it! She works, they sleep, and play!

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-25-2009 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,934 times
http://abqstyle.com/linked/sedona_sunset_1.jpg (broken link)

As a lifelong New Yorker who like most New Yorkers considered my home the capital of the world I have learned one thing since coming to the southwest. Stop comparing. Enjoy it for what it is, be open to new experiences and activities and you will enjoy it. I've traded movie premieres in Manhattan for sunsets in Sedona. It has only made my life richer.

Photo: Sunset in Sedona with subliminal recycling mesage.

AbqStyle Arizona & New Mexico Photography Blog

Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,004,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Unfortunately there is a fine line between factual and subjective information when evaluating a city. It's not so easy to simply say "volunteer factual info"

That's where we disagree.

Facts are facts.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:45 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,307,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Facts are facts.
I don't disagree with you in regards to what constitutes facts. However, I have often experienced people claiming they are stating facts when they are really just providing impressions. Furthermore, one can still present facts and be unobjective by failing to mention all the facts including those which may contradict or weaken a particular stance. This is one of the more subtle tactics employed by people who claim to be just "presenting the facts."

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-26-2009 at 02:17 AM..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,454,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Alpha maid, the sweet dogs should allow you to keep the job, and not be fired, for now! They may write you up, but one may shred it for a bribe! Somebody where I live has 2, a Lucy, and a Desie! She is the Alpha
walker bean! There look is priceless! She goes to the store, and would get each there toy, way to go! However, she did learn one will do! There toys
forget it! She works, they sleep, and play!
I know, my baby dolls are still baby dolls and RULE this house! I love them dearly. I recently had a couple of friends visit and they were so well behaved. Right after my friends left - back to the same old stuff. Gifts, everywhere. Yikes. What is a person supposed to do?

Old 04-26-2009, 04:15 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,454,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Facts are facts.
Yes, facts are facts, and I am still here. Damn.

I told you AZRiverfan, I didn't leave in 2006 or 2007 because of this guy. Sure, I love my house. Who would not? Still, I have to see things through here on account of him. Ok, stupid woman here.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,307,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, facts are facts, and I am still here. Damn.

I told you AZRiverfan, I didn't leave in 2006 or 2007 because of this guy. Sure, I love my house. Who would not? Still, I have to see things through here on account of him. Ok, stupid woman here.
Fair enough but you do realize you may be here for another 3 years because it may take that long before you are able to sell your house for what you are seeking. (To people unfamiliar with movin'on: her house is the only thing keeping her in Arizona) If so, are you going to be miserable and complain on this forum for 3 more years? Oh lord, we are all in for a treat!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,034,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqstyle View Post

As a lifelong New Yorker who like most New Yorkers considered my home the capital of the world I have learned one thing since coming to the southwest. Stop comparing. Enjoy it for what it is, be open to new experiences and activities and you will enjoy it. I've traded movie premieres in Manhattan for sunsets in Sedona. It has only made my life richer.

Photo: Sunset in Sedona with subliminal recycling mesage.

AbqStyle Arizona & New Mexico Photography Blog
Well, this thread has devolved to puppy loving, and I was a part of that...ha-ha.

That is a great photo. Ever try the Black Mtn photo contest up in Carefree?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM

56 posts, read 182,923 times
Quote:
The funny thing is there really isn't a lot to do in San Francisco. I know that sounds strange but aside from eating and drinking, what is there to do there? The weather is bad. It never really gets warm there. Anything you want to do is a far drive which is exactly like it is here. Want to go skiing, gotta drive to Tahoe. Want to do outdoors stuff, gotta drive to Yosemite. Wanna see a winery, gotta drive to Napa. It's not like everything is 15 min from each other.
I have been making the same point to friends for a while now, and agree with you. Aside from shopping and eating (there are some great places to eat here!) and museums (but after you've gone once or twice, then what? its not like the exhibitions at most museums change frequently) and going to the movies or to bars etc., there is not a whole lot to do on a regular basis. For example, yes the SF Int. Film Festival is happening now but that only happens ONCE A YEAR! The weather is TOO cold and even when its sunny out the wind will make it freezing. There is 340 days of fog and wind and about 25 scattered days of sun and wind. People will say, oh but there ARE places in the city where it is ALWAYS sunny! Yeah? And who can afford to live there? LOL. I live by the beach on top of a hill and it is like living in a ship during a storm ALL THE TIME.
True, you don't technically NEED a car to get around, taking the MUNI will just take you a reeeeeally long time to get where you are going as it is antiquated and in need of updating and buses are frequently late and dirty. But that is IN the city, what about when you want to leave to go camping or hiking?

That being said I would like to come to AZ for a vacation, to check it out, but it sounds too similar to Sacramento, where I grew up.

BTW we are only here because I was in college but having recently graduated, my husband and I are looking to move to a warmer climate which is what brought me to this forum.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 AM

51 posts, read 224,128 times
I hope I'm not jumping on a dead horse thread here... but I'm with the OP. Phoenix Sucks.

I've lived in Phoenix my entire life. I can't stand the place. I think its an ugly, soulless city. Perhaps you transplants may find the "desert vistas" awe inspiring or beautiful. I find them drab and hostile. Much like most of concrete laden, sun baked, culture deprived city. I didn't always feel this way. While I was living in Phoenix I didn't have much to complain about since I had nothing to compare to. Once I moved out and finally got to check out really beautiful cities with lots of trees, culture, beautiful architecture, good public transportation, ample nightlife and opportunities ....I was sold. I am never, ever moving back to Phoenix.

The drivers are aggressive and too fast. So maybe I don't want to spend extra gas money speeding the next stoplight and putting wear and tear on my brakes. Is there anything wrong with that? Why do people get angry at the way I drive? I came back from Europe to visit the fam and I couldn't get over the shock at Phoenix drivers. Utterly pointless in the city to speed from one stoplight to the other when most of them are timed to go with the flow of traffic, assuming you're going the speed limit which 85% of people aren't. Phoenix is a city for cars and its so far behind other greener cities. Taking the bus in Phoenix is all fine and good, but don't tell your friends, because they'll wonder whats wrong with you. Riding the bus is something "poor people" do in Phoenix.

How about the endless non stop strip malls and chain stores? When you drive down a street in Phoenix proper, you do not see this "beautiful desert vista" you hear about. All you see is Checks Cashed stores! And CVS pharmacies! And ugly ugly strip malls! Fast food places! homeless people, and illegal immigrants on the corner looking for illegal work. Oh yes. What a beautiful city we live in! Phoenix is a dirty, ugly, soulless city with no culture and too much blacktop. Never mind the oppressive heat.

Oh yes....If all you Phoenix lovers want to bash me for hating on Phoenix go right on ahead. Its an open forum. I think its important to know the downside to a place as well. People come to this forum for honest opinions. Good AND Bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area