Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 AM

300 posts, read 952,390 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old male. I live in Chicago.

Not fond of it. My career sucks, weather horrible, and the people just as bad.

I lived in Phoenix before Chicago. Said I would never come back to Phx.

Now I'm dying to get back to Phoenix....besides the heat, the quality of life is so much better in Phoenix.

I'm worried about the economy there, I had a hard time finding work here in Chicago one year ago. I work Helpdesk/deskside/tech support. Is anyone in this field unemployed? Should I stay put or jump the gun? Is it only going to get worse? My lease end of May. Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 AM

51 posts, read 159,444 times
try to find a job before moving. if you can, then that sort of answers your question for you.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophins72 View Post
try to find a job before moving. if you can, then that sort of answers your question for you.
I've tried this before. It almost never works because my experience can be found locally, why would a company want to hire me out of state

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
I've tried this before. It almost never works because my experience can be found locally, why would a company want to hire me out of state
In this economy it is dangerous to move without a job unless you have like 6 months worth of living expenses stashed away. Even then I would be very leary to do it b/c there are people out there that have been unemployed for a year and they're still looking.

I'm in the same situation as you are, but I damn sure wouldn't leave my current job without having something lined up in PHX. I got my last two jobs when I wasn't living in the particular city I eventually moved to so you never know. Just try applying for the jobs in PHX that you're interested in while you're in CHI-Town and see what happens.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:59 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times
I so feel for you and wish you the best of luck.

That being said, the job market is bad in the entire country right now and I agree about being cautious if you don't already have a job.

We know someone who very recently attended a job fair here in Phoenix and they had 200 jobs to offer; 14,000 people showed up.

That's not to say that the jobs aren't out there, but I would search jobing.com and careerbuilder.com, etc before making a move.

An interstate move is not cheap ~ if you spend that kind of money and don't have any way to make money when you get here, you could find yourself really hurting.

This economy sucks everywhere.

I certainly hope you're able to find something and make it back to Phoenix if that's where you really want to be.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
All of the above posters are correct, however, Phoenix is sort of the "help desk", "call center", capital of the USA (nothing compared to India unfortunately), so since the OP is in that sort of career his chances of finding employment may be somewhat improved.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
This is so typical of ex-Phoenix residents. They complain about Phoenix while they are here and then after they move, they realize the grass isn't greener on the other side and want to move back. Unfortunately, like others have said, the market is truly horrible here and I would stick it out in Chicago because there are no jobs here. I would wait two years before considering a move back to Phoenix. This is just not a good time to move here.

I understand this might be a "help-desk, call center" capital but a lot of people are settling on those jobs because they can't find jobs in positions they are qualified for like middle management or finance. In short, even the call center jobs are hard to get now

Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,651 times
The grass is always greener, unless it's in Phoenix in the summer...

Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
The grass is always greener, unless it's in Phoenix in the summer...
Well, the grass was greener on the otherside. That's about it. I moved from Phoenix thinking I can always move back. Chicago is no place for me I thought Phoenix was over populated and hostile, man was I wrong after living here. I am way better off in Phoenix. Now that the economy has tanked I feel trapped here.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM

38 posts, read 84,431 times
If you have the drive and motivation, you can make it anywhere. This is the USA.

It has to start with you, not with anyone on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area