Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:28 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times

Advertisements

For a long time now I haven't been able to really connect with anyone here. I don't know if it's because I dislike this town so much that I won't even put forth the effort to really get to know people here, or if the way I think about people is based in reality, so I'd like some input.

I have the impression that people are not really passionate about anything, they just sort of live here. When I got here (from the SF Bay Area) I noticed the difference initially by watching TV. It seems like all I would see would be news filled with crime superimposed by some hokey channel 3 reporter reporting from Dunkin Donuts (honest to Gosh, that really did air). So I don't watch anything local anymore. It was almost embarassing when they had that show on a few years back, that American Idol wannabe show.

There seems to be a lack of interest in delving too deeply into any one area, a lack of intellectualism or curiousity about the bigger world around us. I think most people are just interested in ?

At any rate, maybe what I'm trying to say is there seems to be a lack of "life" or intensity to the people here. I've been criticized at work for asking questions like "why?" and for having my own thoughts. Apparently I'm too high strung and not relaxed enough. I feel like I'm living in Stepfordland.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM

113 posts, read 524,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
For a long time now I haven't been able to really connect with anyone here. I don't know if it's because I dislike this town so much that I won't even put forth the effort to really get to know people here, or if the way I think about people is based in reality, so I'd like some input.
Good morning. In my personal opinion, I think you cannot connect with anyone here because of your disdain for this town. I believe if you dislike something enough, you will also tend to dislike anything associated with it. I have made many friends here. It took sometime though, but I think that was because I moved here alone from the "midwest", and knew absolutely no one.

Quote:
I have the impression that people are not really passionate about anything, they just sort of live here. When I got here (from the SF Bay Area) I noticed the difference initially by watching TV. It seems like all I would see would be news filled with crime superimposed by some hokey channel 3 reporter reporting from Dunkin Donuts (honest to Gosh, that really did air). So I don't watch anything local anymore. It was almost embarassing when they had that show on a few years back, that American Idol wannabe show.
There is crap on television anywhere you go. I can remember watching TV while travelling, and living back east, and seeing similar things.

Quote:
There seems to be a lack of interest in delving too deeply into any one area, a lack of intellectualism or curiousity about the bigger world around us. I think most people are just interested in ?

At any rate, maybe what I'm trying to say is there seems to be a lack of "life" or intensity to the people here. I've been criticized at work for asking questions like "why?" and for having my own thoughts. Apparently I'm too high strung and not relaxed enough. I feel like I'm living in Stepfordland.

Thoughts?
I dont see this in everyone. I think this one depends on the people you are associating with. I say this just from dealing with many different people everyday. I think this one applies everywhere too.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Movin on,

I agree with your thoughts about the people here. Yes, I get very discouraged by the "news" here, it is pathethic! I do think people just live here and not really live. Of course, it's not everyone, and maybe it is the people I associate with or try not to associate with. Some days I think it's the sun that melted everyone's brain.

I do find a lot of rude people here (especially on the road). I just don't find a lot of caring people. Many people are out for themselves. I am blown away when I visit a small town back east. I feel so welcomed. I find it hard to find here. And I am one of those people who try to do nice things for others (most of the time, anyway).

I guess it's hard to have a community feeling in such a big sprawling area. People move around a lot. People don't have time, as they are commuting everywhere. I don't know.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
First the positive, people here look good. There are MANY very attractive women in this town. Additionally, people generally stay in better shape here, probably because so many spend so much time at the pool.

Now, the bad; the sophistication and education level of most people is really low. Those same attractive women are generally less educated and less cosmopolitan then their peers in world-class cities. I’ve met a lot of people here, even in my short time, and people are so ignorant. Read a book for a change people; travel somewhere apart from Vegas; take some of that money you spend on tattoos and crotch rocket motorcycles and instead get an education; turn off the reality tv and watch PBS for a change; the list goes on.

I’ve never lived in San Francisco, but I know it is a sophisticated cosmopolitan city and the caliber of people in Phoenix are nowhere near what you would get in the Bay Area, NYC, Boston, D.C….the list goes on.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:29 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Seems the people that live here and hate it are hanging out with the wrong people!!!!!! The people that I have met are very educated and not ignorant at all, I think people that generalize people based on some people they have met are the ignorant ones.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 AM

113 posts, read 524,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Seems the people that live here and hate it are hanging out with the wrong people!!!!!! The people that I have met are very educated and not ignorant at all, I think people that generalize people based on some people they have met are the ignorant ones.

Quite frankly, I have to absolutely agree with this!

Its what you make it. Your attitude will dictate the way others act toward you and treat you, no matter where you are. If you cannot be friendly with "everyone" whether or not you approve of their lifestyle, etc; you will get the same reaction in return from them, IMO. Granted there are some people you just dont associate with, you cannot just generalize everyone because of what you "think" of a few people.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:59 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Generalizations certainly don’t tell the whole story, but they are important when looking at the bigger picture, which makes them informative. Marketers, politicians, and others use them all the time to great measure.

You can look at national studies that show the average education level in Phoenix is low, especially when compared to cities of similar size. Compare the percentage of people in Phoenix who have graduate degrees versus a city like Seattle or San Francisco?

One evidence of the ignorance of people in Phoenix is the fact that people here constantly talk about how they enjoy the outdoors and the environment, yet they think twice about voting in politicians who give the green light for more sprawl and more bulldozing of the desert to put up more Mc. Mansions.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Generalizations certainly don’t tell the whole story, but they are important when looking at the bigger picture, which makes them informative. Marketers, politicians, and others use them all the time to great measure.

You can look at national studies that show the average education level in Phoenix is low, especially when compared to cities of similar size. Compare the percentage of people in Phoenix who have graduate degrees versus a city like Seattle or San Francisco?

One evidence of the ignorance of people in Phoenix is the fact that people here constantly talk about how they enjoy the outdoors and the environment, yet they think twice about voting in politicians who give the green light for more sprawl and more bulldozing of the desert to put up more Mc. Mansions.
Yes, it is a given that the level of education here is lower. I worked with a bunch of really brainy people in SF, and everyone pretty much had a master's or PhD. This does demonstrate something different (different qualities among people) from what you typically find here.

And you're second point is right on, as well.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
The people here must be doing something right, there are alot of wealthy people here. do you have any idea how much desert is out there? Even with the sprawl there is still plenty to do and lots of natural areas, for one I see more parks here locally than I did in Oregon, other than national forests, the towns never built any real parks, here every where. Hiking, not in oregon you have to travel to those. Oregon hates sprawl and is closing in on itself, land prices are rising towhere they are almost tomuch to afford. And the houses there are so close you can touch, and I mean touch, theres no room for parks or walking trails in the neighborhoods. And another thing just because you go to college doesnt make you a better person, I know alot of people that work hard and have more actual experience and knowledge than alot of graduates.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:02 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,952 times
One thing about wealthy people in Phoenix is that a lot of them have earned their money doing blue collar work. The zip code with the highest concentration of millionaires in Arizona is in Glendale, not Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. Just in my circle of friends and business clients I know a lot of guys that make more money in construction or manufacturing than the friends of mine that have graduate degrees and are professionals.

This is a generalization, but these guys work hard all day and want to come home and drink beer and watch sports and go to bed by 9:00PM. They have no desire to support the arts or local culture. A typical day for one of my friends is to wake up at 3:30 in the morning, work outside all day supervising at a construction site, come home at 5-6:00, eat and go to bed early. It's hard work, but he makes more money than most professionals with a college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area