Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGen View Post
Friends of ours finally made the long-awaited leap from the California central coast to here. And I think they did a smart thing - they rented first. We know two couples who are renting for a year or more first.

You say you need to get to Tucson, and you want to get out on some lakes... I would try renting here for a month or more and seeing how easy it is to get where you need to go.

When we first needed to move to Phx, we just had a few places we wanted to get to (downtown for 1) and being close to the 51 was a serious blessing. And we kept raving and raving to people about how big and wide and awesome the freeways were, and never crowded.
It's a different story if you need to get from downtown to Chandler/Gilbert/and the like, or even over to Scottsdale. The 17 feels like a whole other world.

You know your whole experience could be different depending on finding an immediate neighborhood you like - close proximity to stuff that matters to you (need a coffee shop 2 blocks away? library? walking trails) - and an easy drive to wherever you need to go on a regular basis.

I know people are miserable who are stuck in the car in this heat and sun on the most crowded freeways.

And I know people who specifically wanted the urban feel of downtown and moved there - close to restaurants and the light rail, and easy to get to Tempe (which was a need for them).

So - I would really vote on knowing the place you're moving to. And don't be afraid to rent! I think there are some great deals around here.
This post should be stickied and be made mandatory to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 23,582 times
This just shows how its all in the eyes of the beholder, I grew up in Eugene and CANNOT wait to get out of here, good suggestion on visiting in the Summer, because that's the only time the weather is ok, about 3 months a year, have fun lol

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 PM

12 posts, read 28,336 times
Whoa! I know Ive never went wrong in living in Phoenix!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Wow, I thought this thread was dead. Seems like most of what is on here is negative stuff. Too many people, too hot, crime, blah, blah, blah......... We always hear about the bad stuff. Since I am planning a move to the Phoenix area as soon as I can get rid of my place here in Oregon, I like to hear the good things about the Phoenix area. Particularly about the east side as that's where I'm planning to move.
Anyone else??? (Yes, I'm trying to bump this thread but only because I want to know more good things about my future home....)
Well i am in the same rainy state where you are and i on my way to Phoenix soon. Arizona came to mind after meeting some of my co-workers who came from Chandler headquarter. I flew down there 3 times to check out and really love it. Freeways are wide open and clean, most people are friendly and nice like us up here in Oregon . More of the West mentallity type rather than Texas or the Southeast. Housing is incredible affordable at this level as i have purchased one. I saw quite a fews of Washington, and Oregon license plates when driving through some subdivisions in Goodyear. I like Goodyear, Surprise, Litchfield Park as they appreared to be well growth into the future. I don't feel like south or southwest Phoenix will be ideal Moderator cut: off topic .
I have no idea about the eastside. Good luck finding your way to the sun

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-21-2009 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
Well, good luck to you as well. This thread has been rivived more times than I can count. It's great to see so many folks that have good things to say. There is enough negativity in this world already.
I still haven't sold my house but I'm going back to Phoenix in January and then again in late June. I'm hoping I'll be ready for the move by then.
As I'm writing this, I'm in southern Oregon near Klamath Falls. It's 26 degrees with 25 mph winds and snow. Not my kind of weather. I'd rather be in some sunshine but it's something to look forward to for sure.
I recently got back together with an old girlfriend that I adore and she is planing on making the move with me. Really cool. Good stuff is happening already!

So anybody else?

Let's talk about the good stuff.................................

Old 11-21-2009, 12:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
I'll put a word in for the east side. Except for 2 years in Pinal County in the early 80's, I've lived in Tempe since 1973. It's a nice city on its own, with the advantages of having a large University, but if you don't need to live near it, there are lovely areas all over the southern part of Tempe that don't have the "college town" vibe, it's just very pretty here. Good freeway access to other parts of the Valley, the best public transit system in the Valley, with the light rail, neighborhood circulator buses, and the regular Valley Metro buses that give you access to many other areas of the Valley. Chandler is also nice, especially the newer areas to the west side; access to Phoenix by freeway is good from there. Ahwahtukee is nice, as well as the Foothills area, which are actually southeast Phoenix. In the foothills, you need to stay to the east end of the foothills to avoid being in the world's largest cul-de-sac trying to get to the freeway.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 PM

234 posts, read 719,029 times
I am originally from the Portland area (Oregon) and absolutely hated the climate (and sort of disliked the culture as well, considering I have moderately conservative beliefs). I am currently living in FAIRBANKS, ALASKA and it is -30 F degrees tonight. Before I moved up to Alaska I was trying to find a job in Arizona. I prefer hot, sunny, dry climates. I don't like dealing with snow OR rain, so I am thinking Arizona (Phoenix area) would be great for me. My husband has a great job up here in Alaska, but I really don't like having to take Vit D supplements and being the avid hiker/outdoorsy type I am getting terribly impatient. I have never been more out of shape in my life! Also my moods have been rather depressing (NOT AT ALL like myself) ever since we moved to Alaska. We sort of only moved up here for the job (since there aren't many jobs in Oregon). I had no idea I would end up hating Alaska so much! The people are the kinda quiet keep to themselves kind of people, and I prefer being around talkative, happy, friendly people.

Anyway, I am almost willing to take on any full time job in the Phoenix area if it means I get to relocate there. Anyone hiring? My husband has his Bachelors and I have my Associates. We have both a very "indecisive" resume, meaning neither of us really know what we are looking for career-wise just yet (in our mid-20s!).

I am wanting to live in a slightly more rural part of town (maybe on the outskirts), but not in the slums. I suppose I should save up some money for a plane ticket considering I have never even been to AZ! But I have been to Death Valley, Cali, NV, ID, and the desert in Oregon and I know I am happiest in a desert setting.

My ideal weather: 100 degrees, hot, sunny, DRY. I don't mind rattle snakes!

And hiking trails! Anyone know of good hiking trails? It would be great to live nearby somewhere where we can take our dogs for a daily hike.

Ya'll should buy me a plane ticket!!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
I am originally from the Portland area (Oregon) and absolutely hated the climate (and sort of disliked the culture as well, considering I have moderately conservative beliefs). I am currently living in FAIRBANKS, ALASKA and it is -30 F degrees tonight. Before I moved up to Alaska I was trying to find a job in Arizona. I prefer hot, sunny, dry climates. I don't like dealing with snow OR rain, so I am thinking Arizona (Phoenix area) would be great for me. My husband has a great job up here in Alaska, but I really don't like having to take Vit D supplements and being the avid hiker/outdoorsy type I am getting terribly impatient. I have never been more out of shape in my life! Also my moods have been rather depressing (NOT AT ALL like myself) ever since we moved to Alaska. We sort of only moved up here for the job (since there aren't many jobs in Oregon). I had no idea I would end up hating Alaska so much! The people are the kinda quiet keep to themselves kind of people, and I prefer being around talkative, happy, friendly people.

Anyway, I am almost willing to take on any full time job in the Phoenix area if it means I get to relocate there. Anyone hiring? My husband has his Bachelors and I have my Associates. We have both a very "indecisive" resume, meaning neither of us really know what we are looking for career-wise just yet (in our mid-20s!).

I am wanting to live in a slightly more rural part of town (maybe on the outskirts), but not in the slums. I suppose I should save up some money for a plane ticket considering I have never even been to AZ! But I have been to Death Valley, Cali, NV, ID, and the desert in Oregon and I know I am happiest in a desert setting.

And hiking trails! Anyone know of good hiking trails? It would be great to live nearby somewhere where we can take our dogs for a daily hike.

Suffice to say: if Death Valley does not irk you.................come on down!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post

I think you would like it here.

Hiking trails within Phoenix:

MOUNTAIN PARKS/PRESERVES HIKING TRAILS

Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,035 times
Beauty is in the eye of the bolder. Therefore, I dont like it here. I dont like the oppressive heat, dryness, pollution, having the 4th worst job market in the country, and inflated cost of living (considering the extremely few jobs available), too many cars on the road and often the people. Since my arrival in the Valley I've grown to dislike large cities with a passion--not just Phoenix--and cant wait to get outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area