Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There is a difference between saying 6 months of summer and 6 months of intolerable heat. If you want to argue we have 6 months of summer due to the technicality of 80 degree weather, I'll buy that. If you want to argue we have 6 months of intolerable heat, sorry can't agree there. 80 degrees here is not like 80 degrees in most parts of the country. I was in Florida recently and low 80's in Florida feels comparable to upper 90's in Phoenix due to the humidity. So in my opinion, low 80's in Phoenix is fall weather as far as I'm concerned.

And I would argue there are only 4 to 4.5 months of truly bad heat. I consider mid-May to mid-September to be the bad months. Everything outside of that is pretty tolerable even if it's not ideal. Right now, I'm loving this April weather and I don't find this to be unbearable. This is supposed to be a month the haters claim has intolerable heat, a notion which I find to be laughable.

And yes, the more obese you are, the less tolerant you are going to be toward heat. It has to do with human physiology. The more adipose aka insulation you have, the heat will feel a lot worse. The opposite is also true. There is a reason wasting thin cancer patients will wear long sleeves in the summers here. If you want to have a better summer, lose percent body fat and weight and you will notice your tolerance for the summer heat will improve. I'm not saying it's going to change 180 degrees and everything will be great in the world but you will notice you will tolerate the summers a lot better with some weight loss. Try it out, you will thank me. Just another reason to lose weight and live healthier lives!
I like how you throw the assumption that the user is obese. lol

This month when it's 100 degrees, yes people will start complaining, when other places are much lower. Even Tucson is cooler..

This year has been really mild when it comes to temperature. It even snowed this month!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post

This month when it's 100 degrees, yes people will start complaining, when other places are much lower. Even Tucson is cooler..

This year has been really mild when it comes to temperature. It even snowed this month!
I'm not assuming anything. You can be thin and poorly tolerate our high heat. However, people who are obese or overweight will have a more difficult time adjusting to the heat. The message people should take away is that if they are obese, overweight or have a higher percent body fat with a normal BMI, they should consider lifestyle changes as they will better help them adapt to the heat. People will notice they will tolerate the heat better with even moderate reductions in these areas.

100 degrees in April is unusual. The average high temperature in April is 84 degrees. Contrary to the City Data hype, it's not routinely a 100 degrees in April.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
I was a size 8 who went to a size 10, so I am still doing OK but I do think that for people w/ a significant weight issue it might be hard. I am finally getting my elliptical trainer out of storage this summer and I hope that will help. I also went a little crazy at Trader Joes last summer. Scones, black corn tortilla chips, and a few Jo Jos.Yum! I am not eating any more than I used to now though, and I will be exercising this Summer inside. I did the pool exercise thing which kept me toned up. I was toned and tanned so I did not notice the weight gain.
I've said it before, 105 degree dry heat poolside feels awesome to me. So there is a benefit to the heat for some of us.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:29 PM

523 posts, read 937,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post

I just hope it isn't as bad as last year. The two week stretch where it barely dips below 100 F at night was long. I know it happens every year, but it seemed especially long last year.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,803 times
Last year? Last year's summer was nice and cool. I think this year is going to be hot.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Last year? Last year's summer was nice and cool. I think this year is going to be hot.
Last year's summer was really nice relatively speaking, I too don't know where they got that idea.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM

99 posts, read 259,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I hope you are wrong, but you might be right. People should do whatever they can now to prepare for it. It's unpleasant to see the A/C emergency repair bill when everyone else needed service at the same time too.

Have you heard any forecasts?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
I hope you are wrong, but you might be right. People should do whatever they can now to prepare for it. It's unpleasant to see the A/C emergency repair bill when everyone else needed service at the same time too.

Oh, please. You make it sound like a series of killer storms is on its way. Yes, everyone should get their A/C checked out now. That's the extent of "everything they can to prepare for it". And as far as forecasts, to the extent long term forecasts like that are even reliable, if you are really interested, you can find them yourself, as can anyone here.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post

True, true, better to have your ac checked before the rush! Plus, it's no fun waiting in 110 for the ac person. Smart thinking! I don't have to worry about it this year, but here is a prediction, never know though until it is actually upon ya,

Here is the almanacs predictions: 2011 Long-Range Weather Forecast for Phoenix, Arizona

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 AM

523 posts, read 937,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
I just hope it isn't as bad as last year. The two week stretch where it barely dips below 100 F at night was long. I know it happens every year, but it seemed especially long last year.
Keep in mind that it can vary from year to year. A couple of summers ago, it lasted for nearly a month where it nearly stayed above 100 at night. But the summer after, we only had about a week and a half. I'm not sure why the seasonal patterns vary, but it may have had to do in part with El Nino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area