Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If these jobs exist, my request should be pretty easy to fulfill.
I don't know that these jobs exist, only that I've seen signs for them. The Chevron at the corner of I-17 and Carefree Hwy. had a sign for a clerk for $10/hr. The In-N-Out Burger across the street did too. I was just there today and everyone who works there looks to be a teenager. Surely, they can't all be full-time employees. Next over is a new Taco Bell, a new Good Egg and a not new Home Depot, all of which I've seen advertise for jobs. I know plenty of PF Chang's are hiring servers too.

I see jobs on Craigslist all the time for over $10/hr., plenty doing mortgage loan processing and closing docs, a few for working at the banks inside grocery stores. Sure, a lot of them are sales or commissioned or pay tips. But I would find it hard to believe they're all advertising for jobs that don't really exist. I have a few places I plan to apply at, should the rug get pulled out from under me. Yes, they're commission-based and will never pay close to what I make now. But they'd be kinda fun, have some cool perks and would always be better than dealing with waiting months for unemployment checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I don't know that these jobs exist, only that I've seen signs for them. The Chevron at the corner of I-17 and Carefree Hwy. had a sign for a clerk for $10/hr. The In-N-Out Burger across the street did too. I was just there today and everyone who works there looks to be a teenager. Surely, they can't all be full-time employees. Next over is a new Taco Bell, a new Good Egg and a not new Home Depot, all of which I've seen advertise for jobs. I know plenty of PF Chang's are hiring servers too.

I see jobs on Craigslist all the time for over $10/hr., plenty doing mortgage loan processing and closing docs, a few for working at the banks inside grocery stores. Sure, a lot of them are sales or commissioned or pay tips. But I would find it hard to believe they're all advertising for jobs that don't really exist. I have a few places I plan to apply at, should the rug get pulled out from under me. Yes, they're commission-based and will never pay close to what I make now. But they'd be kinda fun, have some cool perks and would always be better than dealing with waiting months for unemployment checks.
Why not full time? I have worked full time since I was 15.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 AM

Oh, I have too. It's just that I usually had two or three part time jobs at a time instead of one full time one. When I was 16 in 1987, my town had negative unemployment when all the high school kids went back to school. I was flipping burgers at Wendy's for $7/hr., which was about twice the min. wage then. The only kids I knew who worked full time were those who weren't in school. I think back then you had to be 16 to get a job. One place hired 15 yr. olds and that's where I started washing dishes and bussing tables. It was a big deal to get one's working papers then. Anyway, I digress. The kids who work at the In-N-Out Burger by my house just come across as very nice, mature and responsible, so I'm guessing most of them will head back to high school or college after the summer. Not putting anyone down. They just seem like an extra good bunch of kids when I compare them to a lot of others I see.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post

This is good information and perhaps it can provide leads to people seeking jobs. I rep'd you

Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Sure there are tons of jobs on craigslist, but there are much more applicants than there are jobs.

When I was unemployed in March, there were always dozens of jobs posted daily, but there was 100+ people applying for each job, it really made it tough on the employers to sort through hundreds of emails, so unless your email really stood out, you were out of luck.

Most employers don't even bother putting phone numbers, they all just want you to email them your resume.

I went to a interview at a hotel in Phoenix, there was over 25 people interviewing for the same exact position, most with college degrees and much more experience.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 AM

Three weeks ago I sent off a resume in response to a job I found on Monster. They called me that afternoon and asked me to come in for an interview the following week. In the interview I was told that, out of the 10 folks he'd interviewed so far, only one other person and myself were currently employed and I was the only one with federal contract experience. So I was pretty sure I was getting a callback. The following week they called and said the next two guys they interviewed both had construction mgt. experience (I do not) and so they went with those two guys. I was pretty disappointed to have come that close, that quickly and lost. Other than all those BS insurance sales jobs, I haven't gotten any callbacks since I started sending resumes around in March. My job is probably safe for a few more mos., but I like having options.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Try to show some humility and empathy for those who are experiencing difficult times. It's not as easy you think. To imply these people are irresponsible is pretty callous. A lot of responsible and smart people lost their jobs and need assistance.
Wait a minute, doc. Rick pays into the system and doesn't take from it. That makes him part of the solution, not part of the problem here. You're slapping someone around who's self-reliant and not too proud to work a menial job. Too bad more of us aren't like him.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Wait a minute, doc. Rick pays into the system and doesn't take from it. That makes him part of the solution, not part of the problem here. You're slapping someone around who's self-reliant and not too proud to work a menial job. Too bad more of us aren't like him.
Actually Rick does not pay into the system. His EMPLOYER pays into the system (just as the OP's employer did).

I agree that it's too bad more of us aren't like him (employed) - but that's the reality of the situation. At the moment there are simply not enough jobs for all the workers. It's like a grim game of musical chairs - some people are simply not going to be able to find work right now. You can blame those people (claim they are too proud to do menial labor) but the fact is none of that changes the reality that there are simply not enough jobs for everyone that wants/needs to work/ To act as though such people are too proud or too lazy to take ANY job is both ignorant and foolish. A lot of companies hiring for menial jobs don't want to hire overqualified people because they are afraid (and rightly so) that those folks will move on to better jobs when the economy improves. Why go through the expense to hire & train someone only to have do it again just down the road a bit. Better to hire someone more likely to stay a while.

Ken

Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually Rick does not pay into the system. His EMPLOYER pays into the system (just as the OP's employer did).

I agree that it's too bad more of us aren't like him (employed) - but that's the reality of the situation. At the moment there are simply not enough jobs for all the workers. It's like a grim game of musical chairs - some people are simply not going to be able to find work right now. You can blame those people (claim they are too proud to do menial labor) but the fact is none of that changes the reality that there are simply not enough jobs for everyone that wants/needs to work/ To act as though such people are too proud or too lazy to take ANY job is both ignorant and foolish. A lot of companies hiring for menial jobs don't want to hire overqualified people because they are afraid (and rightly so) that those folks will move on to better jobs when the economy improves. Why go through the expense to hire & train someone only to have do it again just down the road a bit. Better to hire someone more likely to stay a while.

Ken
2-3 generations back, college students from Boston used to go out to western Massachusetts begging for work in the apple orchards.

In recent decades, no locals will to do that work for love or money, so the orchard owners fly men up from Jamaica every picking season, house them, pick the apples, and send them home, where they live like kings the rest of the year.

People used to be less proud about what work they would do. That's a fact, sir.

And to say a fast food place is afraid of people moving on? The starbucks on my corner seems to have different people there literally every week. It's just a way station for people moving on to something better. I would definitely work there if I had to; they offer health benefits for half time work, pretty good deal if you ask me. And a pound of free coffee per week clinches the deal.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 AM

I don't think anyone hires someone at a fast food place, expecting them to stay there very long. I have noticed that several restaurants tend to hire folks in the same age group for certain jobs. I'm 38 and a few restaurants I frequent tend to have servers who all look to be about my age or just a tad younger. (That's where I'll be applying if need be). Another one across the street from that one seems to not have any servers in my age group at all. I would think, depending on how smart the hiring manager is, they'd want to hire folks a little older, since they tend to be more reliable. I know, when I was a teenager, if I missed work or got fired, it was no big deal. I still lived at home with my folks. Nowadays, I'm a little more motivated to show up on time and do a good job.

Also, don't be afraid to use your network of family and friends. My wife works for the corp. HQ of a national restaurant chain. You can bet I'd be using that connection if I had to apply for a server position at that place. I also have plenty of clients in my current job who do business in this area and I have already emailed their contact info to my personal email, so I can keep in touch with them, if I go to my work laptop one day and my password is shut down. It's happened to me more than once before and can happen again anytime. No employer gives you a heads up and says, "We're thinking of letting you go." It's an all or nothing kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area