Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 AM

28 posts, read 100,338 times

Advertisements

When we moved from the northeast to Florida there were plenty of things we didn't know. First, our city plays almost the role of a homeowner's association in controlling what color you can paint your house, trees along the curb, etc.

We also didn't know how difficult and costly it is to maintain the outside of the house. Here we have sun plus salt air which wreaks havoc with metals, wood, and paint. We also have tile roofs which need to be power cleaned yearly due to mold buildup. Water is expensive, whereas it was just a few dollars a month up north. Of course, there are hurricanes and tropical storms which drive up homeowner's insurance.

I'm wondering what types of things you found once you moved to Phoenix that newcomers should be aware of. I read one thread about checking your shoes and drawers for spiders?

It would be helpful to have some advance info from people who know. Like cable vs satellite TV, phone services, best grocery stores, etc.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Your car battery will last about 2 years. More if you're lucky.

It's essential to keep your AC filters clean or replaced often.

Soon, it will rain mud here.

It's much cheaper to have a "desert" landscape vs. a nice lawn.

Honorable mention to gardening. 2 growing seasons here.

I love Discount Tire. Don't skimp on rubber.

I have dispatched 2 Black widow spiders to another world in the last 5 years. No big deal.

Some folks have scorpion problems. Actually, they're quite timid.

Still don't want 'em in the house though.

There are several "chain" grocers throughout The Valley. Most are pretty good.

We have cable; it's OK. Our tenants have a dish, they seem to like it.

Last edited by YAZ; 06-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: sic

Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM

28 posts, read 100,338 times
Well that's a great tip on battery life. Who knew?

I think I'm into "desert-scaping" as it's costing us a fortune to keep up with the grass, trees, and plants on our property.

That brings up another question... how is the water supply holding up with all the development in your area?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
battery is goign on 5 years and no problems, I dont check my shoes for bugs, never had a scorpion in any house I've live in, Out water supply is just fine due to our dams and lakes

Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 AM
YAZ

Maybe I just had a cheap battery.

Our water bill was 60 bucks this month. That includes sewer fees, trash pickup, and misc. stuff the city likes to add on.

Keep in mind that we have a 25k gal pool.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
we are actually pretty good on water

i'm on my 3rd battery in the past 6 years ...... my wife is on her 2nd but moved down with a new one - the car battery thing wasn't something I thought of

also had no concept of the monsoon season until I moved down - including dust storms

it's easy to get summer relief - the mountains to the north and east provide a completely different world

a ton of little lifestyle changes that come with the heat

you can buy liquor and beer in the grocery stores - liquor stores themselves are a little nasty

AC filters is a great suggestion

if you are in an older house there is a possibility you could learn about swamp coolers

we get fires on occasion throughout the state (including the metro)

brown cloud can show up in the winter

service options tend to be plentiful and very convenient

Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
YAZ

We have this really cool Italian Deli within walking distance. While pricey, it's top notch.

The produce at the grocers is "decent", you learn real quick what to buy and when though. The tomatoes looked like crap last weekend at Fry's. But the jalapeno peppers were awesome!

Mold isn't too much of an issue out here. Of course, if you have plumbing problems or roof leaks I'm sure it could be a factor.

We live in a "good" part of town, but still managed to get "tagged" with some "grafilthy" the other day. Phoenix has a task force that comes out and cleans it up at no cost.

They love to steal cars here. Gotta admit that my insurance rates aren't much different than Metro Detroit. And I lived in an "upscale" area there.

Property taxes are much lower than what I'm used to. But sales taxes are higher. State income tax is relatively low. It all equals out, I s'pose.

My wife and I love going to the resorts 'round here for a night or two. Golf for me, spa treatment for her.

Not that expensive.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,663 times
License plates cost a bunch , new or older vehicle.

Speed limits are suggestions.

Depending on the vehicle brand, batteries will last a.5years or b.1-2 years. Sounds goofy, but my Dodge/Chrysler cars eat batteries, my Toyotas don't . And yes, we're talking the same aftermarket brand batteries in both.

The 1-2 year span will always expire on a Sunday afternoon at the store when it's over 100'.

Central AC is just as cheap(if not more so)than swamp coolers. Cleaner and less maintenance too.

Some areas of Phoenix have scorpion infestations. Other areas you never see them.

Summer never ends in Phoenix. Somebody just forgets to close the fridge door for a few weeks.

I'm amazed at how many Zonies have never seen the Grand Canyon.

Ditto on Discount Tire. Take 'em donuts the next day.

Rosie on the house radio show will always, always save you money on home repairs.

Channel 3 Good Morning Arizona team is a time warp to '86.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
YAZ

We don't mess with that "spring forward, fall back" stuff. I.e., we don't change our clocks for daylight savings.

College football starts at 9:00 am.

Pro starts at 10:00 am.

Then, of course, most of the rest of the country "falls back", and everything's pushed up an hour.

Not to worry, as beer sales begin at 10:00 am on Sundays.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM

197 posts, read 752,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
We don't mess with that "spring forward, fall back" stuff. I.e., we don't change our clocks for daylight savings.

College football starts at 9:00 am.

Pro starts at 10:00 am.

Then, of course, most of the rest of the country "falls back", and everything's pushed up an hour.

Not to worry, as beer sales begin at 10:00 am on Sundays.
We have been researching the Chandler area and have avoided "Phoenix" in our search for homes, due to "crime statistics and HOAs." Since you live in the Phoenix area and are happy there, do you have any suggestions where to look (no HOAs please).

Thanks.

iuki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area