Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 PM

105 posts, read 375,351 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons I love Phoenix is cause of the extended time of the year you can be in the pool. I like swimming and do not have a pool where I am at now. I am having a bit of a problem buying a house and here is why. As stated I would love to have a pool. But I live alone. So I would like to hear some opinons from Phonecians who have pools and are adults. I hear from some people that someone should never swim alone but lets face reality most adults do in their own pools.

I would just like to hear some opinons on this. Would I be taking a dangerous risk by buying a house with a pool and swimming alone in it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 AM

191 posts, read 665,673 times
what areas are you looking in? I want to move there and get a pool too. I plan to swim alone and am not worried. I would say it depends on your health issues.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
Why would it be dangerous to swim by yourself? You know how to swim right? Plus I doubt the pool your going to get is going to be more than 5-6ft deep, good luck drowning in that.

I swim laps almost every morning since it got warm, I am the only one down there, never worried about anything.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:37 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Not swimming alone is always good advice, and it's really up to you whether you should take that risk or not.

One can drown in water no matter what the depth is if they lose consciousness, become incapacitated with a heart attack, stroke, or anything else.

My wife doesn't swim, but she is always by the pool doing some skimming, with the risk of falling in and drowning. She does it whether I'm nearby or not.

When I swim, she may or may not be there, but if I had a heart attack she would probably not be able to get me out.

Anyway, just know what the risks are and decide yourself.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:53 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak999 View Post
One of the reasons I love Phoenix is cause of the extended time of the year you can be in the pool. I like swimming and do not have a pool where I am at now. I am having a bit of a problem buying a house and here is why. As stated I would love to have a pool. But I live alone. So I would like to hear some opinons from Phonecians who have pools and are adults. I hear from some people that someone should never swim alone but lets face reality most adults do in their own pools.

I would just like to hear some opinons on this. Would I be taking a dangerous risk by buying a house with a pool and swimming alone in it?
Buying a house without a pool was a big problem for me. Most houses had pools in the area I was looking. They were priced better than houses without pools. Pools are one big pain in the neck. If there are trees, they are constantly dirty, chemicals cost a lot and the pump and filter needs maintenance. The plaster in the pool always deteriorates; worst scenario is someone who drained the pool and painted it to make it look good. After you move in it all starts flaking off. One huge problem with pools these days is liability. Kids do stupid things, if you have company over, and you are going to get sued if they run and fall, or some other kid gets in your pool when you are not looking. It only takes a few seconds. My last pool was huge and about 6 feet from the back my 2 story house that had a flat roof. I came home one day and the little angels were jumping off the roof into the shallow end of the pool!.......... As far as swimming alone, another house I had had a pool and the woman, who was alone, was found floating in it dead. She was cleaning it and slipped somehow and hit her head. As you can see, I do not think having a pool is worth it all, especially not for the owner.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Buying a house without a pool was a big problem for me. Most houses had pools in the area I was looking. They were priced better than houses without pools. Pools are one big pain in the neck. If there are trees, they are constantly dirty, chemicals cost a lot and the pump and filter needs maintenance. The plaster in the pool always deteriorates; worst scenario is someone who drained the pool and painted it to make it look good. After you move in it all starts flaking off. One huge problem with pools these days is liability. Kids do stupid things, if you have company over, and you are going to get sued if they run and fall, or some other kid gets in your pool when you are not looking. It only takes a few seconds. My last pool was huge and about 6 feet from the back my 2 story house that had a flat roof. I came home one day and the little angels were jumping off the roof into the shallow end of the pool!.......... As far as swimming alone, another house I had had a pool and the woman, who was alone, was found floating in it dead. She was cleaning it and slipped somehow and hit her head. As you can see, I do not think having a pool is worth it all, especially not for the owner.
Wow! lol You really hate pools with the passion.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,664 times
This won't address your swimming alone question, but we just rented a house with a pebble pool and after a couple days everyone was complaining how rough it was. One of my sons started having to wear aqua sox his feet were so worn out. There must be pros for this kind of pool but I wouldn't build one.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Pools aren't for everyone, that's for sure. While I'm quite surprised at the cost and maintenance of having one, I still enjoy it. There are many things you can do to reduce the cost and maintenance. Pool covers, a new efficient pump and filter, and simple things like adding chemicals at night.

Unfortunately, our pool does not have a fence (six foot walls around the yard though), and we might have to "re do" our patio area to incorporate a gate.

We'll have to replaster our pool this winter, which ain't cheap. Also have to remove the diving board, we don't want the liability. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way. Skinny dippin' in your own 'lil pond is cool....

Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Pools aren't for everyone, that's for sure. While I'm quite surprised at the cost and maintenance of having one, I still enjoy it. There are many things you can do to reduce the cost and maintenance. Pool covers, a new efficient pump and filter, and simple things like adding chemicals at night.

Unfortunately, our pool does not have a fence (six foot walls around the yard though), and we might have to "re do" our patio area to incorporate a gate.

We'll have to replaster our pool this winter, which ain't cheap. Also have to remove the diving board, we don't want the liability. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way. Skinny dippin' in your own 'lil pond is cool....
YAZ- As a adult do you ever swim alone though? And if so do you worry at all of something happening to you and no one being around?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Once in a while I'll take a dip alone. Never worried.

Remember though, I grew up in Michigan and have been around water all of my life. It was quite common for me to jump in the lake after work alone. We had a floating raft about 200 yards or so out in a "deep" part of the lake we lived on. Right next to an artesian spring.

If I should die of a heart attack while sittin' on my "floatie" in the pool.....well, I can think of worse ways to go.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area