Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,362 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,
I was recently offered a job in phoenix and will be relocating later in the year (Nov-Dec). I came across this site and would appreciate your input concerning neighborhoods to rent a place. I would also be grateful for any other input related to relocations to phoenix.

I am a 25 yr single male. I would like to rent something small (studio or 1 bedroom). I am clueless as to what neighborhoods will be good options. I will be working in zip 85004.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:01 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
I'd be cautious finding an apartment near downtown. I'd look more towards Avondale, Glendale, Peoria, Tempe (you could take the light-rail), Mesa, or north Phoenix. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,362 times
Thank you for the info :-)

Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I'd be cautious finding an apartment near downtown. I'd look more towards Avondale, Glendale, Peoria, Tempe (you could take the light-rail), Mesa, or north Phoenix. Good luck!
Why LOL! the downtown area is the safest precinct in the city. It is also one of the only neighborhoods in the entire state where development is still on track and construction is strong. There are some studios and one bedrooms in downtown that are available in the price range of $600-$1200 depending on the size, style, location to the light rail, and type of building. In a newer high-rise or mid-rise, look for higher-end prices. In exquisitely refurbished or kept up historic buildings also look to pay a premium. However, there are some modern remodeled and some plain apartments that are small and affordable. You'd have a pick from historic 1890's brick apartment buildings to new high-rise developments to choose from. Some zip codes in or near downtown are 85003, 85001, 85004, etc.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM

132 posts, read 426,944 times
Personally, if I had my choice, I'd live in the 'burbs and commute downtown. I'm a big fan of the Southeast part of the Valley but on my most recent trip I became keen to the Northwest like Avondale and Glendale. It's really nice up there (for the most part).

Old 07-26-2009, 11:42 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,803 times
85004...right in the middle of downtown. You can find some apartments down there, depends if you want to live literally right in the middle of the city. If you are not looking at buying (not sure why...), it is pretty much up to you how much commute you can stand, and you may as well find something close to downtown. Rents are pretty similar all over the valley, whether it be in Peoria, Mesa, or south Scottsdale. I live in Peoria and commute to the airport (southeast downtown).

Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
85004...right in the middle of downtown. You can find some apartments down there, depends if you want to live literally right in the middle of the city. If you are not looking at buying (not sure why...), it is pretty much up to you how much commute you can stand, and you may as well find something close to downtown. Rents are pretty similar all over the valley, whether it be in Peoria, Mesa, or south Scottsdale. I live in Peoria and commute to the airport (southeast downtown).
Rents are NOT similar all over the Valley; this is an inaccuracy that would put the OP in a wrong state of mind. Peoria, Mesa, and Avondale might have similar rents, but Scottsdale, downtown, uptown, Biltmore, arcadia, Old Town, north Scottsdale, Tempe etc. have rents for one and two bedrooms that exceed $2000 a month. It would be a disservice to tell someone they can rent a very nice and "luxury" apartment in Peoria (which one can get for $600-750 a month) and say you can get the same type of "luxury" apartment in Scottsdale or Central Phoenix for the same amount.

Just in downtown alone you'll need to add $300 to the base rent for an apartment in the same "class." However, if you want to be close to urban amenities, public transportation, nightlife, etc. and are willing to give up granite counter-tops for a cheaper top, hard-wood floors for tile or carpet, cherry kitchen drawers and wood, and stainless steel appliances for white, black, or mixed to pay $600-750, etc then that is the trade off one will have to make.

Just as an example, there are more expensive places, but the cheapest and smallest apt at Alta downtown (in the 85004 zip right in the middle of downtown by the Arizona Center, light rail, the stadiums, hotels, restaurants, and on and on) is $860/month for about 700 sq ft:
http://www.mark-taylor.com/altaphoenix/index.asp (broken link)

http://www.mark-taylor.com/altaphoenix/rates.aspx (broken link)

Whereas the SAME apartment company offers 2 bedroom, 1100 sq ft apartments in Surprise for $699-920 a month:
http://www.mark-taylor.com/villas/index.asp (broken link)

http://www.mark-taylor.com/villas/rates.aspx (broken link)

The trade off is more expensive rent but a savings on commuting for work, sports, nightlife, universities, museums, etc. etc. All comes down to what lifestyle is important to you.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 07-27-2009 at 12:47 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
What the hell...why are people so anti living downtown and pro living in the 'burbs and commuting 20+ miles to work...how does that make any sense? Especially for someone who is 25 years old.

I would 100% look for something downtown. There are quite a few options, from old to brand new, light rail is right there, tons of eating options and a few night life, ASU downtown campus so there are quite a few young people around all day (expect summer of course) and you're in the middle of the city so nothing is really more then 25 minutes away.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
What the hell...why are people so anti living downtown and pro living in the 'burbs and commuting 20+ miles to work...how does that make any sense? Especially for someone who is 25 years old.

I would 100% look for something downtown. There are quite a few options, from old to brand new, light rail is right there, tons of eating options and a few night life, ASU downtown campus so there are quite a few young people around all day (expect summer of course) and you're in the middle of the city so nothing is really more then 25 minutes away.
That is what I don't understand either. I don't get the aspect of telling a young adult seeking some vibrancy, nightlife, and the sort that downtown isn't desirable and that living in Peoria or Mesa is as that is quite the contrary.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
That is what I don't understand either. I don't get the aspect of telling a young adult seeking some vibrancy, nightlife, and the sort that downtown isn't desirable and that living in Peoria or Mesa is as that is quite the contrary.
Agreed, I've lived in the burbs all my life, but if I were the OP's age (and I've considered it for myself not all that many years ago) and hadn't inherited a house I was already living in, I'd be seriously looking at living downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area