Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM

682 posts, read 2,566,909 times

Advertisements

If you are interested in having a house with a pool, buy a house that already has one. It is much cheaper than adding one later and paying for it yourself.

I bought a house with a pool and love it. In the heat here, it is a very good way to get exercise outside in the summer. Beats walking in the heat and dropping dead.

The pool guy we have is also great and I like him because he is knowledgeable enough about pools to do repairs if needed.

altus2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Couldn't agree more. Outdoor living is a huge part of our enjoyment of the great state of Arizona.

Not sure about the others, but we have an integrated spa as well. The spa is probably the most important part of our pool. We use it several times a week year/round, winter included. Sitting outside in the spa at night, nekkid (but don't tell anyone), with a glass of wine, gazing up at the stars, and discussing our day is the best time of day. It's better than a marriage councilor. You can't put a price on it..
We NEED a hot tub.

It WILL happen.....

Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
If you are interested in having a house with a pool, buy a house that already has one. It is much cheaper than adding one later and paying for it yourself.

I bought a house with a pool and love it. In the heat here, it is a very good way to get exercise outside in the summer. Beats walking in the heat and dropping dead.

The pool guy we have is also great and I like him because he is knowledgeable enough about pools to do repairs if needed.

altus2006
Doing laps at the end of the day is a great way to work off stress.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 28,891 times
Quote:
Sitting outside in the spa at night, nekkid (but don't tell anyone), with a glass of wine, gazing up at the stars, and discussing our day is the best time of day. It's better than a marriage councilor. You can't put a price on it..
Alright then, totally getting a pool!!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 28,891 times
So basically -

A pool is not a necessity unless you have kids, like to entertain or enjoy wearing a bathing suit . And definitely buy a home that already has a pool and all the proper landscaping to go with it! I'm guessing that with all the foreclosures, etc out there that this actually couldn't be too hard to find. It's interesting to see everyone's opinions on a pool, but I'm sure some hate to put on a suit and hate to swim while others love being outside lounging around and then there's those with the young kids. I'm also glad to know it's not a status symbol as around here only the "cool" people had a pool.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. It's more stable than adding chlorine manually.
My CYA is 65 (Taylor R-0013).

I would also suggest visiting some of the pool forums where water chemistry is always a major topic of debate. Most people with SWGs run in the 1 to 2 range, and even lower. I've run my pool for the past three years in that range and never had the slightest problem with algae or anything else.
The links you posted do not specify salt water/non salt water and what the free chlorine level should be based off of the CYA level you have. 1ppm is fine with no CYA in the water.

How often do you shock your pool?

Ok, visited one of those pool forums that you mentioned and came across this which doesn't support you...

Recommended Levels • Pool School • Trouble Free Pool

Chlorine / CYA Chart • Pool School • Trouble Free Pool

Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Definitely no. My parents installed a pool in only one house they owned. It was barely ever used, and was a complete waste of money.

If you and your family aren't into swimming, then there's no reason to get a pool in the first place.

But me, I love the water, and I would definitely get one or live somewhere in Phoenix that already has one. I'm very much a water person and I hate driving more than 1 hour or more just to go to some far off lake to go swimming and sunning. Got to have a pool in Phoenix.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:04 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The links you posted do not specify salt water/non salt water and what the free chlorine level should be based off of the CYA level you have. 1ppm is fine with no CYA in the water.

How often do you shock your pool?

Ok, visited one of those pool forums that you mentioned and came across this which doesn't support you...

Recommended Levels • Pool School • Trouble Free Pool

Chlorine / CYA Chart • Pool School • Trouble Free Pool
Ok, you found a single site that supports your argument. I used the first three links that came up on google, so I would call your data a flier as it bucks the conventional wisdom. BTW, my Taylor test kit also recommends 1-3.

The first link I provided does specify CYA levels, so you're wrong there. Your contention that 1ppm will only work with zero CYA is false. I've run between .5 and 2 PPM for three years with normal CYA levels, as have many others. Nobody ever recommends running without any stabilizer. The notion is absurd because your chlorine would evaporate almost instantly.

I've never shocked my pool. In fact, I don't think it's necessary with a SWG. I have almost no combined chlorine. Why do you ask?

Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Ok, you found a single site that supports your argument. I used the first three links that came up on google, so I would call your data a flier as it bucks the conventional wisdom. BTW, my Taylor test kit also recommends 1-3.

The first link I provided does specify CYA levels, so you're wrong there. Your contention that 1ppm will only work with zero CYA is false. I've run between .5 and 2 PPM for three years with normal CYA levels, as have many others. Nobody ever recommends running without any stabilizer. The notion is absurd because your chlorine would evaporate almost instantly.

I've never shocked my pool. In fact, I don't think it's necessary with a SWG. I have almost no combined chlorine. Why do you ask?
I agree that routine shocking is not required (SWG or normal chlorine sanatized pools), however, shocking can be required under certain circumstances. I also have never shocked my pool.

Anyway, I think we're arguing just to be arguing as I think we both share similar views.

I would recommend that website I posted from...great information.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,206 times
We did not want a pool because honestly I just don't want to spend the time and money to upkeep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area