Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times

Advertisements

Standing on principal, when a company is asking for something that is legal for them to ask, is not the way to get a job.

Jobs are very difficult to come by all over the country.

If you want the job, then don't put principals ahead of legality.

Send in your picture. Maybe you'll get the job.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnryOne View Post
I don't know, I've been in the hospitality industry for over 20+ years and this is the first time I've seen it asked. It just struck me as odd thats all.. as for the discrimination part well I think it is, I worked with a great guy who was front desk manager, he knew what he was doing and did it well, dress for the part very well but, lets just say he need dental work badly......So if the person conducting the interviews were to interview him based on his picture they would most likely pass and loose a good worker. Enough said....
This isn't an opinion. This is a fact. There is only a set criteria to which you can't legally discriminate against a person with regard to employment and that includes race, religion, gender, age, and sexual orientation. Bad teeth doesn't count. You need to educate yourself about these matters before e-mailing a potential employer again.

Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions And Answers

Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This isn't an opinion. This is a fact. There is only a set criteria to which you can't legally discriminate against a person with regard to employment and that includes race, religion, gender, age, and sexual orientation. Bad teeth doesn't count. You need to educate yourself about these matters before e-mailing a potential employer again.

Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions And Answers
That's true. But the list of government-protected classes will never shrink, only grow. Give it time. Pretty soon they'll make it illegal to deny drivers licenses to blind folks.

BTW, when I fill out a job profile online, I refuse to identify my race. I figure that makes it less likely for them to be able to be accused of discrimination. Protects us both.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
BTW, when I fill out a job profile online, I refuse to identify my race.
Huh? What's a "job profile"? It's illegal for employers to ask your race on employment applications.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Huh? What's a "job profile"? It's illegal for employers to ask your race on employment applications.
No, sadly, it's not illegal. In fact, every single site I've ever had to set up a profile on to apply for a job or upload a resume asks. They all say it's for some gov't. reporting purpose or to prevent discrimination, which is the opposite of the truth. It's also a question on just about every gov't. form you can sign your name to. And if you apply for a mortgage over the phone or online and decline to "self-identify," the loan officer has to guess. Yes, really. Welcome to identity politics and affirmative action.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
No, sadly, it's not illegal. In fact, every single site I've ever had to set up a profile on to apply for a job or upload a resume asks.
Sorry Rick, but I'm calling your bluff on this one. I'd like to see an actual application from a hiring employer that asks you to specify your race. I'm not talking about some agency, but the actual employer doing the hiring.

Read the EEO laws in the link above. It's a violation of federal law to take race into consideration in hiring. As a hiring manager, I've been to several EEO training seminars and the very first rule they teach you is that you cannot not ask a candidate their race, age or religion.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sorry Rick, but I'm calling your bluff on this one. I'd like to see an actual application from a hiring employer that asks you to specify your race. I'm not talking about some agency, but the actual employer doing the hiring.

Read the EEO laws in the link above. It's a violation of federal law to take race into consideration in hiring. As a hiring manager, I've been to several EEO training seminars and the very first rule they teach you is that you cannot not ask a candidate their race, age or religion.
I didn't say it wasn't illegal to consider race when hiring. However, it is NOT illegal to ask one's race. I don't know how to prove these questionnaires to you other than suggesting you go to any major employer in the area - Honeywell, Intel, PetSmart, you name it, create a job or resume profile on their site and when you get a username and password, you 100% will be asked your race, gender and probably if you're disabled. I don't know how to get a screen grab of it and make it into a jpeg to post here. But I'm not making this up and I can't believe you've never been asked to "self-identify" on a job application. It's the most common thing I've ever seen. The irony is that they'd not be able to discriminate on race if they weren't allowed to ask you about it.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Ah, I figured out how to get it to a jpeg. Here it is. Look at the bottom. I don't think I've ever seen an online job app. that did not ask this info.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 AM

And go to the very bottom of this loan application.

Uniform Residential Loan Application (HUD 1003) (http://bankturndown.com/loan_app.htm - broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Rick, that doesn't count. I asked for a job application from an employer, not an agency. You showed an application from an agency which I'm assuming is a generic form that they use for referring applicants to companies. The hiring company will most likely have their own application that doesn't ask race (optional or otherwise). The agency isn't hiring you, so they can ask you whatever they want.

Loan applications are a different story that I know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area