Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
So my GF just up and left.. Went back to Boston. We came out here 2 years ago.. She didn't like it.. So with no notice, she packed up her stuff and left. She's been wanting to go home for a while now, but I've been stuck out here due to my job and lack there of back home.

The thing that sucks is, we just signed a 1 year lease on a rental house. We used to live in an apartment, which would have been easy to for me to pay for on my own, but this house is $300 more monthly.. It's going to be really tough..

I'm going to try to get this house re-leased via craigslist, but if that doesn't work out.. Wouldn't my gf still be responsible to help pay for this lease.. Just last month she signed it with me..

It sucks because since we've been out here I really haven't made an effort to make many friends.. I built my life around her and now she's gone and I'm stranded.. Just an odd feeling...

I guess my question is about the lease.. She's bailing on the lease that we both signed.. Does anyone know my rights?
Why don't you look for some roomates? You might come out ahead that way rather then going after your LONG GONE girlfriend to get her to pay part of the lease. I should imagine that would take alot longer then just finding a couple guys who want to share the house with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,805 times
Quote:
yea,

even tho it feels crappy now.. I guess in the long run, I'm better off.. For someone to do this, it tells me there wasn't any love involved at all.. It sucks, but I'm not worried about it.. Yeah, I feel like garbage.. But worse things in life will happen.. Just a little shocked I guess, I didn't see it coming.

My biggest concern is the lease and stuff.. I'd love to stick it to her, but it sounds like unless i'm willing to screw up my own credit, its not even worth it.. I need to find someone to take over the lease and move into a small apartment..

I'm not sure room mates would be a great idea.. It could be wonderful, or it could be awful.. I'm not sure I'm in the right state of mind to take that risk..

Anyone know anyone who wants a 3BR, 2Bath house in east mesa.. right at 60 and 202? huge back yard.. 6000 square feet.. great for a dog..
Try someone at your workplace to share with if that makes you feel safer. Then carpool to work right ?
She is the one who has a problem, not you. So be happy

Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 AM

164 posts, read 772,637 times
You might check with the management company and find out WHY/HOW they released her. Perhaps they'll have the decency to be willing to release you as well. Couldn't hurt to ask, at least.

Read your lease agreement. Most likely there is some sort of each party being responsible for 100% of the rent clause. But you might be bale to get released if you argue that their releasing her but not you would be arbitrary and put you in a bind. If you tell them you just can't pay on your own rather than face an angry tenant and the possibility of pursuing unpaid rent from you or eviction (all costs $$), they might be willing to negotiate out of the lease.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
That release clause doesn't sound kosher, unless she forged your name somewhere.

I would call the leasing company and ask how she did that. You can't release yourself from a contract just because you ask. Its either a non-enforceable scare tactic, or forgery is involved. Call them up for the facts.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
yea,

even tho it feels crappy now.. I guess in the long run, I'm better off.. For someone to do this, it tells me there wasn't any love involved at all.. It sucks, but I'm not worried about it.. Yeah, I feel like garbage.. But worse things in life will happen.. Just a little shocked I guess, I didn't see it coming.

My biggest concern is the lease and stuff.. I'd love to stick it to her, but it sounds like unless i'm willing to screw up my own credit, its not even worth it.. I need to find someone to take over the lease and move into a small apartment..

I'm not sure room mates would be a great idea.. It could be wonderful, or it could be awful.. I'm not sure I'm in the right state of mind to take that risk..

Anyone know anyone who wants a 3BR, 2Bath house in east mesa.. right at 60 and 202? huge back yard.. 6000 square feet.. great for a dog..
Forgery? Sounds like Attorney time.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
That release clause doesn't sound kosher, unless she forged your name somewhere.

I would call the leasing company and ask how she did that. You can't release yourself from a contract just because you ask. Its either a non-enforceable scare tactic, or forgery is involved. Call them up for the facts.
Actually, if one of the parties requests to be released, the Lessor has the right to release them from liability.

When two people are applying for a property, and they are not married, each one is "qualified" as the situation that happened here (one roommate moving out) is kind of standard stuff.

Each party agrees, in the lease, to be INDIVIDUALLY LIABLE for payment of the rent.

No, I expect she asked to be released - and they granted it.

As I said - this is normal stuff

Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Forgery? Sounds like Attorney time.
I just guess that because if you think about it logically, the only person who can release someone from a contract is the other party. Both of them signed it so the only one that could authorize a release would be the OTHER person.

You can't release yourself from a contract you signed or whats to stop both parties from simply releasing?

I doubt there is a protocol that whoever calls the mgmt company first has first dibbs on a release.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, if one of the parties requests to be released, the Lessor has the right to release them from liability.

When two people are applying for a property, and they are not married, each one is "qualified" as the situation that happened here (one roommate moving out) is kind of standard stuff.

Each party agrees, in the lease, to be INDIVIDUALLY LIABLE for payment of the rent.

So the rule is.. first person to call the mgmt company gets first dibbs on the release while the person buzzing in on call waiting gets stiffed??

That doesnt sound normal or legal. If you have 2 people held accountable on a lease, what benefit would a management company have to release either party from the responsiblity when they know they are going to have a broken lease? Sounds foolish to write off anyone that could be held responsible.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
She leave anything behind? If so, CRAIGSLIST TIME!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

This really sucks. It only protects the landlord and I have a hard time believing it can be done without both parties signing - one with an OK to release the other. This sticks it to the person who has been kept in the dark about the entire transaction - stinks to high heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area