Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 PM

369 posts, read 2,166,221 times

Advertisements

So my GF just up and left.. Went back to Boston. We came out here 2 years ago.. She didn't like it.. So with no notice, she packed up her stuff and left. She's been wanting to go home for a while now, but I've been stuck out here due to my job and lack there of back home.

The thing that sucks is, we just signed a 1 year lease on a rental house. We used to live in an apartment, which would have been easy to for me to pay for on my own, but this house is $300 more monthly.. It's going to be really tough..

I'm going to try to get this house re-leased via craigslist, but if that doesn't work out.. Wouldn't my gf still be responsible to help pay for this lease.. Just last month she signed it with me..

It sucks because since we've been out here I really haven't made an effort to make many friends.. I built my life around her and now she's gone and I'm stranded.. Just an odd feeling...

I guess my question is about the lease.. She's bailing on the lease that we both signed.. Does anyone know my rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,041,837 times
I have known more then a few people who have packed up & moved back east. The east & west are 2 different worlds. Do you plan to go back to mass also or is it over between you & your girlfriend ? Go to expertlaw.com & get professional answers. Good-luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
I'm fairly certain she is responsible. The trick is making that happen.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,266,935 times
You will have to take her to small claims court if you want to pursue it.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,700,454 times
Her name is on the lease; she's responsible. Echoing what has already been said, the trick, is getting her to pay. Judging from her impromptu departure, she may have no intention of paying the rent. Although you may be stuck paying (for now), it's pretty cut and dried. It helps if you can establish that she paid (x) percentage of the rent for the last two years, then bailed out immediately after signing a new lease. Communicate her obligation to her now, in writing, and obviously save all of your communications. Don't send text messages. Definitely pursue a judgment if she fails to pay. You may want to also check out sites that deal with tenant responsibility so you know exactly what to expect.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Her being out of state will make this more complicated, unfortunately, but you should still do as above. I'm sure she has no intention of voluntarily paying her obligation under the lease. Water under the bridge, but if you knew she was unhappy here and wanted to go home before you both signed the lease, that should never have happened. Sorry for your troubles.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM

963 posts, read 2,303,632 times
I have met other couples who moved to Phoenix. The challenge of making friends in a new environment seems to be a greater need for women, and to be truthful that is a big challenge if you're from a city where people tend to congregate more and share interests. Men can get by (or think they can) without meaningful friendships and tend to underestimate the effect this has on their mates.

There is much I like about Phoenix but the dynamics here makes it a bit less friendly than most places. There is an amazing lack of community. It takes great discernment and unselfishness for a man to see this as a cause of his mates unhappiness so that adjustments can be made before it reaches the breaking point. I am sorry for what happened to you.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM

584 posts, read 1,341,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
So my GF just up and left.. Went back to Boston. We came out here 2 years ago.. She didn't like it.. So with no notice, she packed up her stuff and left. She's been wanting to go home for a while now, but I've been stuck out here due to my job and lack there of back home.

The thing that sucks is, we just signed a 1 year lease on a rental house. We used to live in an apartment, which would have been easy to for me to pay for on my own, but this house is $300 more monthly.. It's going to be really tough..

I'm going to try to get this house re-leased via craigslist, but if that doesn't work out.. Wouldn't my gf still be responsible to help pay for this lease.. Just last month she signed it with me..

It sucks because since we've been out here I really haven't made an effort to make many friends.. I built my life around her and now she's gone and I'm stranded.. Just an odd feeling...

I guess my question is about the lease.. She's bailing on the lease that we both signed.. Does anyone know my rights?
Forget about the girl as she left you without notice. Try to find someone to share your lease and focus on your job. Give yourself a chance in Phoenix to find to new friends instead of wondering should i go back to Boston? I don't see any good if you quit your job and go back to Boston. My suggestion is to stay hold what you already have and start building from that base. Be calm and be smart....Good luck.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,624,404 times
Meanwhile....have you thought about renting out a room to help with costs? Post it on craigslist?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,725,751 times
Sorry for your predicament, Bench Warmer!

As for her lease responsibility . . . I believe she is fully responsible up to the full year as long as you can prove you have been diligent in searching for someone to either assume the lease or share the rent. Don't forget to keep copies of all your efforts and possibly a statement from the landlord stating the total cost of being released from the lease.

Not wanting to sound uncaring or harsh here, but I have a feeling she is "good riddance" and you will be better off in the very near future. Anyone bailing and dumping on you under these conditions, as well as so soon before Christmas, is not worth the tears.

Move on and don't look back . . . GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area