Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:08 PM

24 posts, read 44,446 times

Advertisements

Hello again Ya'll , Remember me .... The Alabama guy / I have been working with the same company now for a couple months or so and love it and decided to finalize the transition. This is where you awesome folks come in. I have been told by co workers and the like that two of the better places in the area to call home would be Mesa ( certain areas , this is something I would really like to know ..... where in Mesa is considered ok and where in Mesa is considered , well .... not ok ? ) And Tempe , though considered a college town I hear ... I would still like your thoughts and ideas. I would like a house , 2br to be precise though I understand I may have to bend a bit here and there. And want to deal with an owner and NOT a management or realty company. I have already started with Craigslist and will keep my eyes open but thought some of you may have knowledge of where to look or even know someone yourself that is looking to rent to a good ole southern guy .... LoL / Thanks in advance for any ideas or help of any kind. Have an awesome weekend. John W-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitech66 View Post
Hello again Ya'll , Remember me .... The Alabama guy / I have been working with the same company now for a couple months or so and love it and decided to finalize the transition. This is where you awesome folks come in. I have been told by co workers and the like that two of the better places in the area to call home would be Mesa ( certain areas , this is something I would really like to know ..... where in Mesa is considered ok and where in Mesa is considered , well .... not ok ? ) And Tempe , though considered a college town I hear ... I would still like your thoughts and ideas. I would like a house , 2br to be precise though I understand I may have to bend a bit here and there. And want to deal with an owner and NOT a management or realty company. I have already started with Craigslist and will keep my eyes open but thought some of you may have knowledge of where to look or even know someone yourself that is looking to rent to a good ole southern guy .... LoL / Thanks in advance for any ideas or help of any kind. Have an awesome weekend. John W-
I'm not east valley expert but I'll take a stab at it.

I have always thought of the parts of Mesa south of the US60 as better than the parts north until you get pretty far east. The center part of Mesa around Country Club & whatever feels the worst to me but not sure how accurate that is. Tempe is a smaller city and gets newer and more expensive in the southern parts as well.

The areas closest to ASU are a different world than South Tempe. To me, Tempe feels a little more alive than Mesa. But if you want real quiet suburban living on the outskirts you may enjoy east mesa.

The US60 is a nightmare to travel on regularly, which is the main artery you will use if you live in the eastern parts of Mesa and need to commute into the city.

These are vague generalities but someone who knows east valley better can define what is South Tempe or East Mesa better than me.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
As someone who grew up in Tempe(around ASU) ans still live in Tempe. Also, I have lived in Mesa. First Mesa is ok, but not my first choice. Mesa from Dobson to Gilbert is rundown, and overrun by illegals. When I live @ Main and Gilbert you could see the ghetto moving in. Now Tempe you would think because it has ASU its overrun by College kids. I live Near Southern and Mill, and you don't see drunken parties, and the further South you so it's more upscale and family oriented. If yuo don't want to live with College kids avoid the apartments right around ASU and you will be fine. I still think Tempe is the best city in the Valley to live, but of course I'm biased.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Tempe's my preference too, but I admit the bias from living there for all but 2 years since 1973. There are some nice townhomes in various parts of town, including south Tempe which is a particularly nice area of Tempe.

As far as Mesa, I'd agree with the above post about US 60 being the dividing line, pretty much, until you get into the eastern part of Mesa.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 AM

56 posts, read 142,406 times
I live in the East Valley.

"OK" areas of Mesa are:
- North of Brown Rd.
- Red Mountain area
- South of the 60

OK areas of Tempe are in the south part near Chandler IMHO.

I do disagree with the 60 traffic comments, given the choice between the other highways I think the 60 (east of the 101) moves pretty well.

If you're looking for a 2bd place also try Ahwatukee, there's a ton of places around 48th and Elliot / Warner. A buddy of mine had a place at the Point and loved it. Try to stay in the Kyrene school district even if you don't have kids as it'll help the resale.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Tempe! Somewhere near the light rail and a little further away from the university. Maybe on the north side of Town Lake(but that would limit you to denser townhomes or condos)...

Old 12-17-2009, 06:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
The "south part" of Tempe is not just the part "near Chandler". If you don't want to live near the hustle and bustle of the University, but still want all the benefits of living here, anything from Broadway (or at least Alameda) south, you don't even know the University is there.

It's kind of hard to be near the light rail in Tempe and away from the Univ at the same time, except in that north Tempe area, where as fc said, the choices are limited. The public transit in Tempe, including the neighborhood shuttles in the areas north of Baseline, makes getting to the light rail fairly easy without living right there.

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
another vote for Tempe....the entire town just has a progressive, modern, clean vibe....a solid middle-class, VERY convenient place to live....easy access to all parts of the valley....

Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 44,446 times
I found my place in Tempe !! Thanks ya'll , I really appreciate the help. Near baseline and Hardy in a quiet lil' area. The help has been awesome. You guys rock !! Thanks again. John -

Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitech66 View Post
I found my place in Tempe !! Thanks ya'll , I really appreciate the help. Near baseline and Hardy in a quiet lil' area. The help has been awesome. You guys rock !! Thanks again. John -
Right by where I live so better watch out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area