Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:38 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I understand a career bringing you here, but as far as weather and surroundings, there is a pretty big country out there with something a little more middle of the road between Scotland and Arizona climate.

Some people may be acting rashly in the coldest part of winter when they decide they are going to enjoy one of the hottest places on the entire planet.
I think that is a bit of an overstatement. Its hardly "hot" right now in Phoenix; especially compared to Florida or anywhere on the equator, southern hemisphere. I think some people, like myself, actually appreciate the few months of some of the hottest temps in the country; it wouldn't be summer unless we had 102, 107 degree temps during the day in June-August! And have you ever tried to enjoy a pool/waterparks/etc in other regions!

I never understood a few neighbors we had while living in the Seattle area whom owned VERY expensive built-in pools that required heating even in the summer save a few weeks in August; but some people have different tolerances and expectations. I'm sure it surprises some to learn that people actually prefer the Phoenix climate over other cities'. I remember family visiting us while we lived in NY, Washington, etc who would watch us swim, shiver, and grimace as we pretended (or at least I did) to be enjoying myself while it was a "balmy" high 50's, 60 or 70 degrees..LOL!

OH and right on queue Bear Grylls just wriggled out of a muddy bog in little more than speedo like undies whilst holding on to game he caught to skin for its warmth and meat for sustenance and vit-ah-mins, LOL! And in a very cold locale in Northern Ireland...So rugged!!! Now, wouldn't that be much more comfortable for him to do in the Phoenix region, LOL!

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-20-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Yeah, exactly right. In case some of the heat lovers don't know this, snow is actually good for the environment because it brings something called precipitation. And it is exactly that precipitation which if it occurs often enough, eliminates droughts. And snow cleans up the air too which is another huge plus. Apparently, some people don't realize that. And as a respected contributor on these forums, Steve-O has some logical points that he makes. Yes, snow leads to canceled flights and is dangerous to drive in but it is not without its benefits. I'm not going to say whether I prefer one over the other but I'm just stating the obvious.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:48 PM

125 posts, read 252,649 times
Let me tell you, we got hit really bad in long island in the overnight hrs. I dont remember it this bad in yrs but as I was shoveling, I kept telling myself this is your last yr to shovel and deal with bone chilling temps and it made things a little better. BY the time Christmas comes on Fri, it wont be white snow anymore...lol...You guys dont know what your missing here..lol..I cant wait to join you over there in 6 months....

Old 12-20-2009, 06:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammie View Post
Let me tell you, we got hit really bad in long island in the overnight hrs. I dont remember it this bad in yrs but as I was shoveling, I kept telling myself this is your last yr to shovel and deal with bone chilling temps and it made things a little better. BY the time Christmas comes on Fri, it wont be white snow anymore...lol...You guys dont know what your missing here..lol..I cant wait to join you over there in 6 months....
I knows what I'm not missing....do I care..notttt....Do I have an attitude...you betcha, but not now that we are here, and you will do the same, just sit back with a silly smile .....Welcome to AZ

Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It will be a little more "magical" and tolerable in NYC! The lights and the sights and even Flagstaff is magical and very active and lively with the snow; Rochester, not so much...
Depends on the town you live in, I guess. A town close to us has a winter festival that is perfect... Christmas carols, sleigh rides, apple-cider vendors, Santas for the kids, etc.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Yeah, exactly right. In case some of the heat lovers don't know this, snow is actually good for the environment because it brings something called precipitation. And it is exactly that precipitation which if it occurs often enough, eliminates droughts. And snow cleans up the air too which is another huge plus. Apparently, some people don't realize that. And as a respected contributor on these forums, Steve-O has some logical points that he makes. Yes, snow leads to canceled flights and is dangerous to drive in but it is not without its benefits. I'm not going to say whether I prefer one over the other but I'm just stating the obvious.
And it is my choice to not have to live where the snow falls.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:08 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
I'm kind of curious if other city forums post messages in the opposite direction during the summer. When a place like Seattle is having a downright beautiful summer day, do they start a thread about how AWFUL it must be to live in Phoenix?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
We don't need snow to clean the pollution from the air. Wind does the job and so does rain,;be it hot and muggy rain in August or a cold rain in January...

If anything, our mountains need the precipitation and we need the jet stream and winds from those storms moving into the mountains to clear our air. But, rain from time to time in Phoenix is good and different but snow is not even remotely common in Phoenix; not impossible, but like 1 or two days of snow every quarter century and a trace to 4" at the most ever on record. I think the record in the Phoenix area for snow fall was in the 1930's when two winter season recorded just over an inch of snow downtown. One time the snow actually stuck for more than a week! I think that was in 1932-33...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-20-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I'm kind of curious if other city forums post messages in the opposite direction during the summer. When a place like Seattle is having a downright beautiful summer day, do they start a thread about how AWFUL it must be to live in Phoenix?
Of course; when I lived there, and the days in August when it was clear, beautiful, Mt. Rainier and the Olympics visible and the city really looked "emerald" then it was great to talk about how awesome it was. Not sure about the forum since I didn't live there and contribute to that forum but I'm sure they do. Generally they didn't pinpoint Phoenix because cities like Seattle have a VERY small window to point and laugh at Phoenix while Phoenix has a very LARGE window (9 months, 8 or 7 for some) to point to nice weather. Which is OFTEN the case in the Phoenix forum since so many complain incessantly about the few months of summer "they can't tolerate."

Yet, when we point out how nice the weather is in Phoenix when it is compared to other cities, a city which usually comes up out of context to the discussion, it is turned into yet ANOTHER negative about Phoenix.

I've also never seen or can't recall a thread in the Phoenix forum that started this way: "Duluth is the pits as the weather sucks; thank heavens for Phoenix!"

Of course I am being somewhat facetious as Ponderosa wasn't really picking on one city. By, also, many people who point out the weather from somewhere else do so because they came from that somewhere else and are reminiscing.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-20-2009 at 07:47 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 PM

And in fairness to pond, his thread wasn't overtly negative and could be that he would like to be in that weather. I for one think that first picture of a Brooklyn street is gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area