Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 PM

125 posts, read 252,625 times

Advertisements

It may not be as big as a deal as during the week but its still a big deal. There were over 100 people that got stuck on a LI railroad train for over 5 hrs because of the snow, not to mention all the car accidents because of the snow and ice. So yes, it may have not been as bad as during the week but it was still bad, trust me, I still havent gotten my car completely out of the snow yet. Its great when you are a kid and I had fun in it but when you are an adult, its a whole different ball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Actually, here in Northern Virginia, they have closed all of the schools for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday because of the storm. And the Federal Government is closed on Monday. Up north in Massachusetts, they handle it better, but this kind of storm paralyzes DC.
DC perceives itself as a 'Southern' city----------hence 'Yankee' style weather freaks it out.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 AM

56 posts, read 114,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Well I still ask why Phx? Its the most extreme difference of where you are used to. You may find something with less of what you don't like rather than having to do a 180 and move to the exact opposite.

Hey, if your mind is made up, not trying to change it, but its sorta the same when a person says they hate the heat, so decide on moving to Antarctica.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think he cited the weather and natural surroundings as appealing and that his career will bring him here as well...
Quote:
I understand a career bringing you here, but as far as weather and surroundings, there is a pretty big country out there with something a little more middle of the road between Scotland and Arizona climate.

Some people may be acting rashly in the coldest part of winter when they decide they are going to enjoy one of the hottest places on the entire planet.
I know it is 2 extreemes weather wise but i am an adapatable kind of guy
In fact just spent 3 weeks in egypt at the summer and the tempreatures never fell bellow 110 which i think is extreem but bearable
As has been stated it is a job offer that is bringing me here,hopefully!
oh and to the other poster,yes we Scots are a bit rugged

Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
I'm kind of curious if other city forums post messages in the opposite direction during the summer. When a place like Seattle is having a downright beautiful summer day, do they start a thread about how AWFUL it must be to live in Phoenix?
No. Its pretty much unique to the AZ boards. Ill never understand that.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Actually, here in Northern Virginia, they have closed all of the schools for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday because of the storm. And the Federal Government is closed on Monday. Up north in Massachusetts, they handle it better, but this kind of storm paralyzes DC.
Ill never understand that. You guys deal with snow on a yearly basis (large or small amounts), but still are unable to deal with it. Invest in some snow removal equipment already! It helps the economy by putting people to work and allowing people to actually get to work, too.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I've noticed the same thing. People on the PHX board constantly brag about how great their 100+ degree summers are while expressing their hatred of 4 season weather and climate. The more you say that you hate something the more you will hate it. If places like PHX received enough precipitation, they wouldn't be so dry and there would be zero droughts.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
Seems like communal hypnosis. Repeating over & over to one another, no matter how many years they live here that they have escaped snow/rain, while snickering at the people back home who didn't follow them. *yawn* They label this place as one of the happiest in the country though, so I guess that tactic is working.

Last edited by cmist; 12-21-2009 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 01:28 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Ill never understand that. You guys deal with snow on a yearly basis (large or small amounts), but still are unable to deal with it. Invest in some snow removal equipment already! It helps the economy by putting people to work and allowing people to actually get to work, too.
Well here's the irony, many of you, including cmist and steve-o constantly complain about the heat/weather in Phoenix as well and always bring up somewhere that's better; especailly steve-o (just look at the infinite number of Phoenix weather related posts and threads he's written). Phoenix city-data posters are well aware of Steve-o's Chicago rantings of "superb" weather and his comments on the Chicago board as well; so why the double standard?

My advice, avoid the weather threads since they obviously bother you so much.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:47 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Well here's the irony, many of you, including cmist and steve-o constantly complain about the heat/weather in Phoenix as well and always bring up somewhere that's better; especailly steve-o (just look at the infinite number of Phoenix weather related posts and threads he's written). Phoenix city-data posters are well aware of Steve-o's Chicago rantings of "superb" weather and his comments on the Chicago board as well; so why the double standard?

My advice, avoid the weather threads since they obviously bother you so much.
I don't complain about weather really, I say its extreme because it is, but I don't start threads with the intention of heat bashing or cold bashing. I complain about PEOPLE complaining about weather in places that they moved away from long ago, or have never been.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
i've yet to see a "rain day" cancel school out here

kids do go on a "rainy day schedule" which alters their daily routine - in large part due to the amount of the school that is exposed to the elements

aside from delays/cancellations you don't have a snowy day schedule back in the NE, because once you are in the building you are in the building and it's not like you were counting on outside recess, PE, resource time, etc

and yes, people in other regions flip the coin on phoenix in the summer

i've heard more than a few times comments like "115? - glad i'm not down there today ... how do you people put up with that"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area