Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM

11 posts, read 23,603 times

Advertisements

so, i'm planning a move to the phoenix area in the next year. i've been doing lots of research, but i'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the neighborhood options. i want to narrow them down and continue my in depth research, but i don't even know where to begin! after stating a little about myself, hopefully you guys can point me in a certain direction...

i'm a twenty-two year old female just looking to try something new. i grew up in minneapolis, mn, and i really can't handle one more winter. i've always been drawn to the west (i lived in los angeles for a while and LOVED it), love desert scenery, the heat, palm trees, and especially native american and mexican culture. i am an independent contractor (read: stripper), so finding a job is not an issue. i'm looking for a neighborhood where i can feel safe (enough) to walk around at night. everyone tells me the crime rate in phoenix is insaaane, but i'm sure i can find a decent area, right? if anybody is familiar with minneapolis, i'm looking for something similar to the uptown or northeast area. i'd prefer something urban, hip, trendy or whatever. i'm not into the college scene, and i'd actually prefer to avoid it. hmm, am i giving enough specifics? basically, i just want a safe area with lots of dining/nightlife/shopping/art/theatre/etc options meant for the young and trendy crowd. something like that. (i feel like i should add - young and trendy as in hipster, tattooed, dirty punk rocker, etc. NOT as in the paris hilton definition. if that makes sense.)

thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I think the better options for clubs would be in the east valley and that's probably the area that will have most of what you are looking for

i also wouldn't really worry about crime - it's not that bad - most clubs are in locations that are a little sketchy, but with some discretion and good staff you should be able to get in and out without issues

there really isn't any area like nordeast (which is probably my favorite part of mpls) or uptown in phoenix

You have some of the same elements throughout some neighborhoods

If you aren't looking for the $30k millionaires and paris hilton types you probably wouldn't like old town scottsdale

If you don't like the college crowd then you may not like tempe - it's a little more diverse than just college kids and will have some of what you are looking for, but with a university of 50k+ you will definitely have a feel that is more dinkytown than uptown

Probably your best bet here would be downtown and there are a few downtown experts who could confirm/deny

Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Sounds like you would like Old Town Scottsdale, or North Scottsdale near Kierland. Plenty of rentals in the area with people of your age. Avoid Tempe if you don't like the college scene. maybe further south by the Chandler Fashion center is another option.

If you like urban environments, check out something along the light rail line in Phoenix.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think the better options for clubs would be in the east valley and that's probably the area that will have most of what you are looking for

i also wouldn't really worry about crime - it's not that bad - most clubs are in locations that are a little sketchy, but with some discretion and good staff you should be able to get in and out without issues

there really isn't any area like nordeast (which is probably my favorite part of mpls) or uptown in phoenix

You have some of the same elements throughout some neighborhoods

If you aren't looking for the $30k millionaires and paris hilton types you probably wouldn't like old town scottsdale

If you don't like the college crowd then you may not like tempe - it's a little more diverse than just college kids and will have some of what you are looking for, but with a university of 50k+ you will definitely have a feel that is more dinkytown than uptown

Probably your best bet here would be downtown and there are a few downtown experts who could confirm/deny
thanks for your response!

as for finding a club to work at, i'm sure i'll be doing lots of exploring and moving around so finding a place to live right next to a club isn't a big deal. i guess ultimately i'd rather not have to drive more than 20 minutes to get to work. i should mention, typically club staff members walk dancers to their cars at night so that's not a concern. by walking around at night, i meant...literally taking a walk at night as my sleep schedule is a little warped. =)

i've already ruled out tempe for the most part, but i will look up the east valley.

i will also check out downtown, but i must admit, mostly every phoenix resident i've talked to (so far) has warned me to stay clear of downtown!

thanks again.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
by hip, it's sounding like you mean a bit edgy, right??....not yuppie, right?....if so, there isn't a lot of edginess in the Valley, but there definitely are pockets....the areas just north of downtown may have some cool spots, but somebody like fcorrales here will have to chime in on specifics.....Scottsdale is less body piercings and much more "A and F"....Tempe has the wild ASU crowd and some edge, but you said you didn't want a college scene....Mesa is big and, to me, a bit blah....Chandler/Gilbert: no.....Glendale: no.....

we'll work on this for you!...."independent contractor"?...that's funny....

Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
I would avoid this city altogether. This is a pretty conservative city overall and the best paying strip clubs will be located in the seedy areas where you are saying you want to be close to. Moving here will make someone your age feel old fast as its more suited for retirees.

Why not Vegas? Same climate and surely more opportunities as well as more acceptance from the population for those in your line of work.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
by hip, it's sounding like you mean a bit edgy, right??....not yuppie, right?....if so, there isn't a lot of edginess in the Valley, but there definitely are pockets....the areas just north of downtown may have some cool spots, but somebody like fcorrales here will have to chime in on specifics.....Scottsdale is less body piercings and much more "A and F"....Tempe has the wild ASU crowd and some edge, but you said you didn't want a college scene....Mesa is big and, to me, a bit blah....Chandler/Gilbert: no.....Glendale: no.....

we'll work on this for you!...."independent contractor"?...that's funny....
yes, thanks for continuing the work in progress!

and actually, yes. all strippers are independent contractors. we are technically not "employed" by the clubs, and we are definitely not on any sort of payroll. we pay the club a fee or percentage to let us work there, and we sign a contract stating we will pay said amount.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM

not every phoenix resident is looking to hang out with tattoed artsy types either..............

I figured you would be fine getting to/from work - my brother used to bounce at a club in Abq and that was one of his responsibilities as well

Not sure about walking around at night in any of the neighborhoods except the ones that I have lived in - will need guidance from others on that

I live in the SW valley and love it, but it's pretty quiet all told. Not really the young singles scene.

There are many neighborhoods that have elements of what you are looking for, but I think downtown probably offers the most of it in a single area.

It's has some urban elements to it (phoenix isn't really an "urban" city, imo), bar/club/restaurant options are expanding even if not the most robust, on the light rail line so you could easily move between tempe and areas north to branch out, a wide variety of theatre and arts in downtown (with lightrail connecting you to what is available in tempe and leave you just short of what's available in mesa)

shopping will be the main thing lacking

Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvette View Post
yes, thanks for continuing the work in progress!

and actually, yes. all strippers are independent contractors. we are technically not "employed" by the clubs, and we are definitely not on any sort of payroll. we pay the club a fee or percentage to let us work there, and we sign a contract stating we will pay said amount.
yep - 1099s

Old 01-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I would avoid this city altogether. This is a pretty conservative city overall and the best paying strip clubs will be located in the seedy areas where you are saying you want to be close to. Moving here will make someone your age feel old fast as its more suited for retirees.

Why not Vegas? Same climate and surely more opportunities as well as more acceptance from the population for those in your line of work.
i considered vegas for a short minute, but really, phoenix clubs have always been compared to those of vegas. nevada is #2 on the list of unemployment percentages (with michigan as #1...last i checked, that is). clubs in vegas are NOT doing well at all right now. i mean, clubs everywhere aren't doing what they used to do, but it's still possible to make a living working at any club.

but maybe i will give vegas a little bit more thought as the word "conservative" is quite scary to me. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area