Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Who says I wouldn't want to wait for a bus if it is 30 degrees? Isn't that typical? People just assume things. First of all, I've waited for a bus out in the rain when it has been in the 50s and as long as you are adequately prepared, it is not much of a problem. The only challenge is making sure that you keep your balance so you don't slip. I usually wear an undershirt, long sleeved buttoned shirt, a sweater plus the raincoat and that will be enough. A few weeks back, I remember getting off the bus to walk home at 7pm when the temperature was 45F and honestly, that 45 degrees was a walk in the park. It was after a rain shower that day and the ground was wet too. The typical responses from PHX residents come from the reason that they can't seem to handle cold so what do they do? If your guess was they criticize it and make it look worse than it is you are right. It is true that in the evenings when the sun goes down in PHX it is more comfortable but then the next day the same weather repeats for months. And in case some of you were wondering, I've been exposed to 30 degree weather at least five times in my life and if you are well dressed and there is no wind it is not too bad. Let's agree to disagree because we all prefer different things. Not everyone enjoys blazing 115 degree heat like some of you seem to think is so wonderful.
Your problem is so easily solved. Buy a car with AC and drive to the gym or wherever else you need to go. I am surprised people still ride the bus in this day and age (if they of driving age or older).

Old 02-10-2010, 07:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,087 times
I know what you mean. When I use to live in an extreme hot climate, I felt the same way.Summer starts early and ends late.Although were I use to live,in March, it would get to the 90`s.

Now I`m saying that about winters were I live now. I dread the cold,snow, overcast. If this place gets back to its mild winters then I won`t have much of a problem with them.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Your problem is so easily solved. Buy a car with AC and drive to the gym or wherever else you need to go. I am surprised people still ride the bus in this day and age (if they of driving age or older).
Actually; more and more young people have blown off the idea of getting a driver's license as of late so public transportation is feasible for them

Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I just knew that this thread would generate a lot of discussion. I can understand the feelings of the OP. To those who suggest that he or she move and go somewhere else, they can't do it because of being in the military.

I'd also like to add a few points here. Hot weather doesn't disrupt your life? Oh please, such an assertion is pretty ludicrous. There were days last summer where it was so hot that I didn't even feel like waiting for a bus just to go to the gym and exercise. Because of that, I had to stay home which I didn't like at all. How many kids can play outside when it is 105-110F? They could if they want to risk getting dehydrated. When it is hot you have to constantly think about replacing fluids because you are sweating. It is true that you don't have to shovel the heat but heat has more disadvantages than cold does IMO. In contrast when the weather is cooler, waiting for a bus isn't going to cause you to sweat. All you have to do is dress warmly enough, wear the proper shoes and there you go you are all set. So what if the airports are shut down. That is only a temporary situation. PHX summers are much longer than that.
You would be mocked in Wash DC right about now.............

Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Hey, give the old folks who usually post here a break - they're active alright, moving frequently between recliner and thermostat. Doctor's orders.
And; what was that crack about? I left the '4 season' climate when I was age 20 since I hate cold-----------which explodes your theory.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; what was that crack about? I left the '4 season' climate when I was age 20 since I hate cold-----------which explodes your theory.
Viva la warm climates!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Viva la warm climates!
I always tell people that they should be careful what they wish for because they just might get it. I just hope that if you do move to PHX that you are 100% ready for what will greet you come summertime.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM

253 posts, read 463,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixDude View Post
Where were you in Wyoming Darrell? I went to school and UWYO in Laramie. Great school, great people, crappy weather... really crappy weather. All in all I really liked my time.
We lived in Gillette for 34 years. My youngest son graduated from UW a year or so ago as a teacher. When were you there?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times
Quote:
I always tell people that they should be careful what they wish for because they just might get it. I just hope that if you do move to PHX that you are 100% ready for what will greet you come summertime.
As per previous threads, I'm not 100% sure about Phoenix because of jobs and other reasons that I don't want to go over to not get this thread off track.

But Phoenix heat is the least of my concerns. I do not fear heat like so many seem to. One can not simply understand how miserable a Minnesota winter is like if you're someone like me. I've lived in it my whole life. I'm just not a typical Minnesotan in that I can't just deal with the cold. I can to the extent, but once you're outside in below zero temperatures with below zero wind chills (no matter if you're dressed in layers), once that wind blows it literally sinks into your bones.

I try to make the best of it and try not to think of it, but stepping outside is a chore. I can't just throw on whatever and get the mail on a cold January day. No, I have to bundle up for fear of frostbite. That sounds pleasant, doesn't it?

So I do wish to be in a warmer climate. Maybe wherever I'll end up will be an extreme - maybe I'll end up in a HOT climate. But regardless, I can adapt to that. I've grown up without air conditioning and there are summer days that can be hot and humid. If I can survive those for a couple days at a time, just imagine how I could easily adapt to that if it was constant? But... maybe I'm a different kinda folk.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
As per previous threads, I'm not 100% sure about Phoenix because of jobs and other reasons that I don't want to go over to not get this thread off track.

But Phoenix heat is the least of my concerns. I do not fear heat like so many seem to. One can not simply understand how miserable a Minnesota winter is like if you're someone like me. I've lived in it my whole life. I'm just not a typical Minnesotan in that I can't just deal with the cold. I can to the extent, but once you're outside in below zero temperatures with below zero wind chills (no matter if you're dressed in layers), once that wind blows it literally sinks into your bones.

I try to make the best of it and try not to think of it, but stepping outside is a chore. I can't just throw on whatever and get the mail on a cold January day. No, I have to bundle up for fear of frostbite. That sounds pleasant, doesn't it?

So I do wish to be in a warmer climate. Maybe wherever I'll end up will be an extreme - maybe I'll end up in a HOT climate. But regardless, I can adapt to that. I've grown up without air conditioning and there are summer days that can be hot and humid. If I can survive those for a couple days at a time, just imagine how I could easily adapt to that if it was constant? But... maybe I'm a different kinda folk.
You will be fine. As long as you have a car with AC and an inside job you will be ok. I personally just stay in when the weather is too extreme as in the winter nights and the summer days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area