Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
Yeah, I think people will keep coming because with the RE fallout, they think they are getting a bargain. Problem is, when they find out that we have a lot more lower paying jobs than higher ones (or hardly any jobs at all), how the education system is here, the state's budget crisis, etc, they'll regret having come here. But there really is no stopping people from moving here. It's like they are just wearing blinders, just seeing how cheap houses are.

My advice is to land a decent job first and then make the leap to actually come here.
I think your view is way way too shallow. As far as "cheap" RE goes in AZ, the north..at least in NE Ohio, real estate is still much less expensive and our cost of living is 25% below the national average. In order to maintain the same standard of living (believe me..not extravagant) with housing and all I would have to make almost 35% more than I do now to live there. So, for me...real estate is definately not a reason to relocate. We have many foreclosures as well. I need to sell, but no one is knocking. Even if they did, I have over 50% equity and will still most likely take a loss (I was NOT one who purchased a McMansion that I couldn't afford). Our state budget is as bad as anyones and unemployment is pushing 12%. But..believe it or not, I am out of work, will run out of unemployment soon and there ARE jobs in my field in metro PH. I would have to definately have to lower my standard of living in AZ but it beats a homeless shelter and the food line in 18 inches of snow. I have to eat.

I may just have to be one of those pesky northerners who take up some of the air in the SW US.

Last edited by SisterSara; 02-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: error correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I understand many of your points. However your constant negativity got me wondering what your story is, and why you despise Arizona so much.
I'll take a shot at this ... for the same reason there's 'constant' unbridled bias or exaggeration on the plus side of the equation. Posts like Krock's voice the other end of the spectrum that others certainly share but choose not to air due to its unpopularity. It takes spine to do this, to go against the herd, but it doesn't make his opinion any less valued, in fact it makes it more valuable as it pegs reality to somewhere in between the positive and negative, this from someone who actually lives in the area as opposed to someone who doesn't (or did years ago).

Know what's ironic about this? He probably cares more about what happens around here than most, for the opposite of caring is indifference. Based on the number of posts he chooses to make, posts he knows will be met with criticsm, I think I can safely say he *really* cares. 'Belaboring' the point isn't accurate ... he's simply responding to the ongoing litany of new 'why I love AZ' posts that are typically a bit one-sided that don't tell the whole story.

People who start attacking the poster because they don't like what they hear or suggest some dark background as ulterior motive are disingenous at best. I just wish people would just stick with the facts and stay on topic.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:15 PM

675 posts, read 1,416,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
Yeah, I think people will keep coming because with the RE fallout, they think they are getting a bargain. Problem is, when they find out that we have a lot more lower paying jobs than higher ones (or hardly any jobs at all), how the education system is here, the state's budget crisis, etc, they'll regret having come here. But there really is no stopping people from moving here. It's like they are just wearing blinders, just seeing how cheap houses are.

My advice is to land a decent job first and then make the leap to actually come here.

cheap houses? as much as the market has declined, the cost/sf is still way higher in AZ than it is around here in Ohio.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterSara View Post
I think your view is way way too shallow. As far as "cheap" RE goes in AZ, the north..at least in NE Ohio, real estate is still much less expensive and our cost of living is 25% below the national average. In order to maintain the same standard of living (believe me..not extravagant) with housing and all I would have to make almost 35% more than I do now to live there. So, for me...real estate is definately not a reason to relocate. We have many foreclosures as well. I need to sell, but no one is knocking. Even if they did, I have over 50% equity and will still most likely take a loss (I was NOT one who purchased a McMansion that I couldn't afford). Our state budget is as bad as anyones and unemployment is pushing 12%. But..believe it or not, I am out of work, will run out of unemployment soon and there ARE jobs in my field in metro PH. I would have to definately have to lower my standard of living in AZ but it beats a homeless shelter and the food line in 18 inches of snow. I have to eat.
I don't understand your point. You own a home, are unemployed, living in an area with lower living costs but want to move an area with 35% higher living costs with no better employment opportunities?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:35 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,871,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I'll take a shot at this ... for the same reason there's 'constant' unbridled bias or exaggeration on the plus side of the equation. Posts like Krock's voice the other end of the spectrum that others certainly share but choose not to air due to its unpopularity. It takes spine to do this, to go against the herd, but it doesn't make his opinion any less valued, in fact it makes it more valuable as it pegs reality to somewhere in between the positive and negative, this from someone who actually lives in the area as opposed to someone who doesn't (or did years ago).

Know what's ironic about this? He probably cares more about what happens around here than most, for the opposite of caring is indifference. Based on the number of posts he chooses to make, posts he knows will be met with criticsm, I think I can safely say he *really* cares. 'Belaboring' the point isn't accurate ... he's simply responding to the ongoing litany of new 'why I love AZ' posts that are typically a bit one-sided that don't tell the whole story.

People who start attacking the poster because they don't like what they hear or suggest some dark background as ulterior motive are disingenous at best. I just wish people would just stick with the facts and stay on topic.
This is a relocation board and I agree the negatives need to be heard, but when all a poster posts is negativity over and over...it is in the same essence as trolling, they get negative attention and it seems to fulfill some need they are not getting elsewhere. I would think in someone's years in a state, that they could find some good also, but some only repeat the negatives. I have lived in several states and though I did not like everything about them, there are some good points and good memories also.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
This is a relocation board and I agree the negatives need to be heard, but when all a poster posts is negativity over and over...it is in the same essence as trolling, they get negative attention and it seems to fulfill some need they are not getting elsewhere. I would think in someone's years in a state, that they could find some good also, but some only repeat the negatives. I have lived in several states and though I did not like everything about them, there are some good points and good memories also.
And the positives over and over again are not trolling as well? Let the facts speak for themselves and avoid labeling unpopular positions.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 PM

675 posts, read 1,416,668 times
Quote:
I don't understand your point. You own a home, are unemployed, living in an area with lower living costs but want to move an area with 35% higher living costs with no better employment opportunities?
Not sure that for her it would be 'no better employment opportunities'. The unemployment rate in Ohio is a bit higher than AZ. NE Ohio is anywhere from 10.2 to 13.0, depending on the city. Phx & vicinity is 8.2. These are as of Dec 09 according to BLS.GOV.
Now, add in the prospects of her specific field, being healthcare, which is one of the better industries right now in Phx, and it may indeed make sense to try there.

Every situation is different. I personally would not move without a job already lined up. Certainly I wouldn't leave a job to move somewhere without one. But if you're already out of work in a cold, miserable state, you might as well consider moving and being out of work in a nice, pleasant state, especially if the job prospects are better there.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,271,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I hear you. The only reason to relocate now is for JOBS. It would be better to deal with sub zero temperatures in winter and be employed than deal with 80 degree winters and be unemployed. At least when you are employed, you can buy a few toys to make the outdoors more enjoyable. Especially, when dealing with unemployment in AZ. I hope everyone moving here has a STABLE job lined up because unemployment only pays $265 a week. I can't even support myself on that salary. I can't imagine how families in AZ are managing on that low unemployment.
I support myself on $200 a week. It can be done if you are frugal.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Not sure that for her it would be 'no better employment opportunities'. The unemployment rate in Ohio is a bit higher than AZ. NE Ohio is anywhere from 10.2 to 13.0, depending on the city. Phx & vicinity is 8.2. These are as of Dec 09 according to BLS.GOV.
Now, add in the prospects of her specific field, being healthcare, which is one of the better industries right now in Phx, and it may indeed make sense to try there.

Every situation is different. I personally would not move without a job already lined up. Certainly I wouldn't leave a job to move somewhere without one. But if you're already out of work in a cold, miserable state, you might as well consider moving and being out of work in a nice, pleasant state, especially if the job prospects are better there.
My understanding is healthcare is a field in demand everywhere, even in states with higher unemployment resulting from layoffs in other industries. As to which state is more 'pleasant' or 'nice' is of course a subjective matter.

I agree though, best a job is lined up first, especially one that might offset the price reduction of the home she's trying to sell.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,871,591 times
Quote:
And the positives over and over again are not trolling as well? Let the facts speak for themselves and avoid labeling unpopular positions.
If the positives never included explanations with them, they could be trolling...yes for sure. We have people here with young children, kids in school, with jobs, single people, some unemployed, some under employed. There are several here that are unemployed and will speak negatively about that, but they also give helpful information on the other end of the spectrum, as in they see the whole picture not just what their situation is personally.

My point is when all someone does is complain about the place they are in, the goverment, rate of unemployment paid, schools, social services etc., they are bitter and have other issues (as well maybe they should). Say this same person got a job, maybe moved to another area, they would be probably spouting a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area