Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM

675 posts, read 1,415,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
And the positives over and over again are not trolling as well? Let the facts speak for themselves and avoid labeling unpopular positions.

Well wait- first of all, the term 'trolling' is associated with negativity, confrontation, stirring the pot, etc. Not usually associated with positive behavior.. Although I guess if someone was way over the top being too ridiculously happy in every thread I suppose you could call that a form of trolling.

Second of all, when you have many *different* people posting their dream of living in a better place, they are not trolling. They are interested in a new area and want to find out about it. When you have the same poster show up in every thread and bash the place, that could be considered trolling.

I don't have a problem with someone posting pros & cons about an issue. But look, this guy comes across like he's bitter and pissed and full of hatred. I'm sure he must have a legitimate hard-luck story and I'd like to hear so I can understand where he's coming from.

To me, having a job lined up is just common sense, and should already be factored into any cross country move- but there are exceptions such as someone out of work already, someone retired, someone going to school, someone independently wealthy.

Interesting.. I did find a post recently where he said "Arizona is......OK. Not wild about it." aha! busted! He doesn't really dislike AZ as much as he claims- it's just his state of unemployment that is frustrating him.

I am fortunate to have a job, and lucky (or valuable?) enough that my employer will let me work out of our Phx office. But I do realize many of my fellow citizens are in tough times. My daughter has been out of school nearly a year and hasn't found a job yet.

But it's got to be getting better soon, right? I mean how much worse can it get than this past year or 2? Our leaders in Washington are gonna turn this ship around any day now. Annnny Day now, right?
<cricket>
<cricket>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
I think for those people who read the forum regularly, they recognize the same poster and realize everyone has their own slant or bias. Even though Krock has his own theme, I believe the forum would be useless if it only allowed positive posts. His reality is representative of many living here.

Those that don't read it regularly should be capable of deciphering info coming from all different viewpoints. Personally, I have a gag reflex when I read posts that are way too chipper written by some newbie experiencing their first "snowless" winter. I actually find that more offensive since its misleading.

Perhaps the forum should divide up sections by "positive" and "negative" so if someone has their feelings hurt by someone who has an unpleasant perspective, they can stay clear of the cold realities. Suggesting that people who are unhappy should stay quiet would make the forum useless.

I like hearing both sides of an issue and when I go to a forum for another state, if no one is saying anything bad, I have to ask, "OK, whats the catch?" I know nothing is all positive and so do most sane people.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Well wait- first of all, the term 'trolling' is associated with negativity, confrontation, stirring the pot, etc. Not usually associated with positive behavior.. Although I guess if someone was way over the top being too ridiculously happy in every thread I suppose you could call that a form of trolling.

Second of all, when you have many *different* people posting their dream of living in a better place, they are not trolling. They are interested in a new area and want to find out about it. When you have the same poster show up in every thread and bash the place, that could be considered trolling.

I don't have a problem with someone posting pros & cons about an issue. But look, this guy comes across like he's bitter and pissed and full of hatred. I'm sure he must have a legitimate hard-luck story and I'd like to hear so I can understand where he's coming from.

To me, having a job lined up is just common sense, and should already be factored into any cross country move- but there are exceptions such as someone out of work already, someone retired, someone going to school, someone independently wealthy.

Interesting.. I did find a post recently where he said "Arizona is......OK. Not wild about it." aha! busted! He doesn't really dislike AZ as much as he claims- it's just his state of unemployment that is frustrating him.

I am fortunate to have a job, and lucky (or valuable?) enough that my employer will let me work out of our Phx office. But I do realize many of my fellow citizens are in tough times. My daughter has been out of school nearly a year and hasn't found a job yet.

But it's got to be getting better soon, right? I mean how much worse can it get than this past year or 2? Our leaders in Washington are gonna turn this ship around any day now. Annnny Day now, right?
<cricket>
<cricket>
I am pretty sure Krock bought a house in the boom time which is now underwater. I also know he is unemployed. If you were in his situation you would most likely do the same thing he does in these threads. As far as things getting better, that is not going to happen. Things are going to get much worse with the coming mortgage crisis at the end of the year. That is when the recession will turn into a depression. This is a good site for reference:

The Economic Collapse

Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
What amazes me about Phoenix and it's appeal is that so many people who choose to/want to move to the Valley haven't got any clue what they are getting themselves into. They hate snow, high taxes, haven't got jobs, pissed at their families and somehow that turns into a gazillionth thread called "I want to move to Phoenix, please give me pros and cons". If you haven't got an idea already about a place you want to move to, you will become as easily dejected about your new home as you are about a place you are coming from. It is just not healthy. Sun doesn't put food on the table, that family you hate so much after few months you will miss them, those high taxes you ***** about all your life might be ok if it meant having better schools/universities and those silly jobs you can't find in ABC Midwest will be no easier to get in Phoenix.

Relocation should be something that is taken very seriously, not another I hate my life right now spur of the moment decision.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:36 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
My point is when all someone does is complain about the place they are in, the goverment, rate of unemployment paid, schools, social services etc., they are bitter and have other issues (as well maybe they should). Say this same person got a job, maybe moved to another area, they would be probably spouting a different story.
And my point is when someone is always positive they live in a pollyannaish, delusional dream world with issues equal to or worse than any Stepford Wife nightmare or pessimist, not too much different than real estate agents who have and will always claim the time to buy is now.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Although I guess if someone was way over the top being too ridiculously happy in every thread I suppose you could call that a form of trolling.
Yep, see above.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
What amazes me about Phoenix and it's appeal is that so many people who choose to/want to move to the Valley haven't got any clue what they are getting themselves into. They hate snow, high taxes, haven't got jobs, pissed at their families and somehow that turns into a gazillionth thread called "I want to move to Phoenix, please give me pros and cons". If you haven't got an idea already about a place you want to move to, you will become as easily dejected about your new home as you are about a place you are coming from. It is just not healthy. Sun doesn't put food on the table, that family you hate so much after few months you will miss them, those high taxes you ***** about all your life might be ok if it meant having better schools/universities and those silly jobs you can't find in ABC Midwest will be no easier to get in Phoenix.

Relocation should be something that is taken very seriously, not another I hate my life right now spur of the moment decision.
Very true, especially in this economy...you haul the problems with you, hence this thread which is about a lot of people who are done with winter right now, and suprisingly to me, a lot of younger people. In a few months the tables should turn with the heat coming back and AZ certainly has a lot of heat threads. With taxes...there is state income tax, Phoenix implementing the food tax, but the state is supplemented with the snowbirds that use a state without state taxes as their home base to spend the winter here, but some will pay the extra food sales tax to supplement Phoenix, do they care, I doubt not. I remember living in bum ......SD 28 years ago and paying sales tax on food at the going rate of 5% or 6% or whatever it was....

Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Where exactly are you coming from?

A mid size city in Indiana. And we will be staying here if my husband is unable to negotiate a few terms w/ his company, but so far it looks good.

I do appreciate that people are available on city- data to give a reality check, every city has its issues.

For example, my husband saw a job opportunity in Hawaii that fit his skills, but I read up on the cost of living and the attitude towards non- native kids in public schools, which with is(4 kids) all we could do with a high cost of living. All sorts of people said the same thing over and over again- on City-Data, and it became clear that I would probably end up homeschooling my brood in a 3 bedroom house and paying 50.00 for milk each month. That dream lasted a few hours.

So keep the reality checks coming, but some of y'all need to remember this is America and people like to explore the rest of our country. Chicken Little should not be your role m*del !

Last edited by hart4july; 02-14-2010 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Default Everybody come to Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well one thing I have noticed is that the chronic malcontents on here like you and Krock have never, in my memory, offered a single shred of real help to anyone. I don't mean your incessant carping and warning people away. I am talking about providing meaningful responses on threads on where to eat, where to look for work, where to go for fun, what is it like to live in a particular community, commute tips, school advice. Oh yeah, you tell everyone "AZ schools are terrible", it's too hot to do anything, and all the other worthless crap you put on here. Then you have the gall to insult people who do.

I would welcome SisterSara and anyone else here in Phoenix. It's a great place to live. Arizona is the best place in the whole world to live. I'm from Germany originally and lived in many place around the globe, but there is nothing like Arizona. I love the cowboy-mentality, the openeness to growth and the hardworking, anti-welfare ut also openminded and liberitarian attitude. It's also great for hiking and absolutely beautiful in this state... let alone 18 National Parks. What a great privilege to be here. I must say I do not like the problem-mongering and the-boat-is-full attitude by some posters here. This is not representative of Arizona, where I have always been welcome even as a foreigner. Our strength is the fact that we have always embraced growth: personal, in population and economy. We also right now have a housing stock and infrastructure that is screaming for new people and talent to arrive here and make use of it. Anybody who is willing to work hard and help the community is more than welcome. Come to Arizona and you won't regret it ever. At least that's my experience. Ditat Deus.

PL

Last edited by Potential_Landlord; 02-14-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: orthography

Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
Aw thanks, Potential Landlord, now will you rent to my husband for a pittance while I try to sell our home here?

But rest easy, Arizonians, not every one likes your strange and wonderful state. I tried to talk my folks into getting a condo there for the winters so we could have some family time and they could spend the nice weather in IN at their lake cottage-perfect deal huh?- and my step dad HATES the Southwest. They did a road trip last spring and hated lake Havasu and found Sedona touristy and boring, even my mom. UNBELIEVABLE!
My husband and I loved Sedona, and he was so inspired by the whole area my left brain engineer dude took up beading and macrame as a hobby after one visit to Pheonix. I feel very energized by the area in a way I can't explain. Its not for everyone, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area