Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM

8 posts, read 8,956 times

Advertisements

And thank you for hearing me out without judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think anyone is doubting the part of the story about your mother. I'm sorry for your loss. So the family was visiting Yakima then, did you move up there afterwards?

But, if you know the Valley as well as you say you do, you wouldn't ask which part of it has more jobs. You are just as likely to find the same kind of entry level, relatively low paying job you would find here where you are now. Moving here to look for a job and get food stamps? You can stay there and do that, if that's the best you can do.

There are plenty of law abiding people in Yakima. You can be one of them. It should be fairly easy to figure out the people and situations to stay away from. Stay in school, find a part time job, save some money, and then decide where to go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Where does the rest of your family live? I don't know what the AZ laws are on food stamps, but I am thinking that with just moving here and trying to get such aid it could be very difficult. You can't pay rent with food stamps either... You should be able to qualify for financial aid with school, and if your SSI benefits are cash, you may be able to get housing using that?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:00 PM

I only said food stamps because i'm on them right now.
and well I am an only person, how else am i supposed to eat?
I just heard from a friend that they changed the age to be 21 to be able to receive them? Thats all i said about food stamps. and I know you cant live off of them.. im not that slow.

But for the SSI there going to cut off my benefits here next month.
So idk.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C113 View Post
I only said food stamps because i'm on them right now.
and well I am an only person, how else am i supposed to eat?
I just heard from a friend that they changed the age to be 21 to be able to receive them? Thats all i said about food stamps. and I know you cant live off of them.. im not that slow.

But for the SSI there going to cut off my benefits here next month.
So idk.
So basically you are only 18 and already use to the government taking care of you. How about getting a job and start taking care of yourself. It's not our job to take care of you, and your only motivation to getting a job is the benefits run out. Otherwise, you would still leech off the state.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM

W-O-W ! I never imagined myself being "cyber attacked" by so called "adults" who like to insult people based on a few words they see.

Mod cut... Im not use to the government taking care of me. I only applied for food stamps because there is 8 kids at my aunts house, like i repeated sooooo many times, because of my moms death. You try raising 8 kids! Also my motivation to getting a job is because i want to move back to Phoenix. To better my little brother and sister's opportunities that they have, and for your information i could still receive benefits until im 25 years old, under one condition, me still going to school. Now i also said that i wanted to put school on hold. Which would then cancel my benefits. If i was depending on the government wouldn't I stay going to school???!! Duh. Before you go and make your own story in your perfect little head hear what im saying.

As for the job thing. Labor here is seasonal, and if it isn't most places are fully employed and don't hire people. Its a small town of about 8,000 people and with the economy being how it is, there really is no jobs, wouldn't you say?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Ok...so your aunt has taken over the care of the family...to her and whatever you need to get to help her at that point as being the oldest. A lot of people cannot imagine that, I get it, but I am only raising my oldest granddaugher at this point. You still did not say if the SSI is for school only, or a monthly allotment? You would qualify for free grants, etc., for school I am sure either there or here, not sure on the resident thing, but I would think the grants would cover it at least part-time until you can manage full-time, and use the SSI money for rent, etc., until you find a job of some sort....Underneath the anger, you sound like you want school, the move and a job? The SSI is a benefit your parents have paid in and you have it coming with the death of your mom, but you need to utilize it to the max with school and a job...

Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM

The SSI benefits were a monthly check.
But since i don't plan to return going to class, there going to cut it off.
But yea im done with this site. I feel like i was made fun of, and was pretty much called a liar to everything i said.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
The SSI benefits were a monthly check.
But since i don't plan to return going to class, there going to cut it off.
But yea im done with this site. I feel like i was made fun of, and was pretty much called a liar to everything i said.
You would benefit from staying in classes, even if you are not sure which direction to go since you don't need to use the SSI for school....totally up to you and wish you the best...give your aunt a hug for me please

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,206 times
Quote:

So my questions to you are, were do you think is a good place to start off at? What areas have more jobs than others? What kind of money would i be wasting if i were to live in an apartment? (one bedroom) (This also goes for utilities, bus routes, anything) Can i apply for food stamps since im 18? cuz i heard it was changed to 21?

Any information i could get i would gladly appreciate it :]
Remember i'm just a kid trying to find his way home. No parents. No support, no nothing. So please if theres anything you could do. let me know.
Basically to answer your initial questions, it sounds like where you are at right now (age, experience, etc.) the best place to find a job would be at a fast food restaurant; McDonalds, Burker King, I saw that Rubio's was hiring the other day. I really don't think you have a chance at a better job anywhere else here since the job market is so terrible.

And apartment wise, you can search apartments on the internet and get a good idea of how much they run and in what locations. When I was looking for apartments a few years ago there were studio apartments for $300 (in not so nice areas though) and it goes up from there to thousands of dollars. However, since you are only 18 it is going to be really hard to get an apartment since you probably have no credit to your name. Also, I don't know how much utilities run a month, but with no credit when you initially sign up you usually have to pay a big fee at the beginning of services (like $100 to $150 dollars for each company just to get the utilities started). There is electricity (SRP), Southwest Gas (gas), Cox or Qwest (if you want internet or phone), & garbage, sewer, water, & trash is all usually one bill in an apartment.

Food stamps, I have no idea, but I would be more focused on getting a job and paying for food yourself instead of relying on food stamps.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM

845 posts, read 2,327,814 times
Quote:

Im'a be on my own once i move back, and im'a want a dependable job so i could start going to school.
zipadeedooda zipadeeday, my oh my what a wonderful day...........Uncle Remus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area