Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon4ever View Post
I'm not trying to start any bad feelings here but what is it with all this rain lately? I thought this was a dry, desert-type of city but sure doesn't seem like it lately. I expected to see people out sun-tanning in the middle of winter but that's not too possible right now.
What are you talking about?! Where were you a week ago when it was in the mid to upper 70s, sunny, and dry as a bone??? We had your beloved kind of weather for a solid week or more. Don't some of you ever get enough sunshine and warm weather?! I can tell you that as a native, the seemingly endless sun becomes very boring when it's continuous for a lengthy time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon4ever View Post
So when does it start to clear up and stay warm, sunshiney for a long time like I envisioned it?
When?! Try April, May, June, July, August, September, October, and November. You have eight consecutive months of sunny, warm (often hot), dry weather, and very little rain. The only exception would be occasionally in July, August, and part of September when the monsoon thunderstorms bring in some rain. Other than that, it's nothing but pure monotony day after day after day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Vegas and Phoenix get the same weather patterns so I can answer this. No, this is not normal. It was just on the news here that there has been more rain since the year 2010 started 1.5 months ago than there was all of last year!! I hate it, and am waiting for the return of the arid desert myself.
This weather is perfectly normal. It's the winter rainy season when most of year's rainfall occurs on average. As a matter of fact, if anyone thinks it's so unusually wet right now, check out the NWS weather page and notice how much rain Sky Harbor Int'l has received so far in February. Only 0.58 of an inch has been measured all month thus far ... and that's BELOW normal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
This is a normal El Nino cycle that happens here in the Southwest area every 3-5 years.

The "El Niño" FAQ
Very true. However, I have been here long enough to witness El Niño winters that have been much wetter than this one. The winters of 1982-1983, 1992-1993, and 2004-2005 brought in much more precipitation than this one could ever hope to! Some of these winter storms can be more damaging and produce more flooding than the summer monsoon storms can.

Bottom line is: there's no use complaining about a little rain that we need badly. This may be a desert region, but it's one of the wettest deserts on the entire planet. If some of you dislike the moisture so much, I'd suggest moving to the Atacama Desert of South America where it only rains about once every few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
I've had enough of the rain too. We have had almost 3 inches of rain and we aren't even 2 months in the year, so this really isn't normal. January was more abnormal than February, though. We saw 1.6 inches of rain over the normal. What has really been noticeable this year is the cloudy days where it just sprinkles, if anything. I can definitely do without that sort of weather. It would be nice if it would stop raining so often.

Reservoirs are full, the mountains around Tucson have continuously had snow on them since Christmas, and all the non-native vegetation looks better than it has since I've moved here. We can use a break until monsoon season.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I've had enough of the rain too. We have had almost 3 inches of rain and we aren't even 2 months in the year, so this really isn't normal. January was more abnormal than February, though. We saw 1.6 inches of rain over the normal. What has really been noticeable this year is the cloudy days where it just sprinkles, if anything. I can definitely do without that sort of weather. It would be nice if it would stop raining so often.

Reservoirs are full, the mountains around Tucson have continuously had snow on them since Christmas, and all the non-native vegetation looks better than it has since I've moved here. We can use a break until monsoon season.
This type of weather is perfectly normal if you would observe the historical climatological statistics. We have been in a drought for approximately the last 14 years ... therefore, these wetter spells seem abnormal to the newcomers. However, for the long term residents who recall much wetter winters than this, it's more of a return to normality ... and a refreshing one at that.

What ISN'T normal is the paltry 3.26 inches of rain that fell during all of 2009. Another thing that isn't exactly normal is for the amount of malcontents who complain about a little bit of chilly, wet weather which we have needed for a long time. Chances are that it will turn persistently sunny, warm, and dry all too soon, and last for a long period of time. So enjoy this NORMAL weather while it lasts ... or else move to the Atacama Desert and enjoy the rainless pattern for years on end!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,396,054 times
Why are you all complaining about a little rain? Trying living anywhere from Seattle to San Francisco where you can go a month without seeing the sun.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This type of weather is perfectly normal if you would observe the historical climatological statistics. We have been in a drought for approximately the last 14 years ... therefore, these wetter spells seem abnormal to the newcomers. However, for the long term residents who recall much wetter winters than this, it's more of a return to normality ... and a refreshing one at that.

What ISN'T normal is the paltry 3.26 inches of rain that fell during all of 2009. Another thing that isn't exactly normal is for the amount of malcontents who complain about a little bit of chilly, wet weather which we have needed for a long time. Chances are that it will turn persistently sunny, warm, and dry all too soon, and last for a long period of time. So enjoy this NORMAL weather while it lasts ... or else move to the Atacama Desert and enjoy the rainless pattern for years on end!
No, it isn't. January's total rainfall was 1.6 inches above average. That is not normal. If it was a normal January the total rainfall would have been around the average. Also the number of overcast days that we have had is not normal either. The fact that the governor declared the state as a disaster area, allowing us to receive federal money for flood cleanup, is not normal.

3.26 inches of rain in a year is certainly not normal, but we're close to surpassing that mark and it isn't even March. We are over the mark for where we should be this year in terms of rainfall. We can use a break. Also, it hasn't even hit 80 degrees yet. By this time last year we already hit 80 degrees five times.

Thank you for your suggestion that I relocate to the Atacama Desert, but I would prefer to stay in Phoenix. I would suggest that if you like rainfall so much the mountains of the Pacific Northwest receive up to 400 inches worth per year.

I find it ironic that someone from Phoenix reacts so strongly to people who live here who prefer hot and dry weather. We are in a desert.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times
Love the occasional bout of heavy rain - its great for the plants/trees, encouraging deeper root growth so when the monsoon winds arrive, trees are less likely to blow over!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,828 times
Agree with the above posters. In the 80's we had some very wet cold winters. After a few years they got a bit dryer and dryer, now they are getting wetter. This is just a normal cyyle for Arizona. I have seen them wetter and colder than this. I remember the year it even snowed in Tempe .
Salt River used to flood a lot back then.

I am liking it. My trees like it though I am ready to plant , and waiting for the ground to dry, but I enjoy the water. Fills our lakes back up Usually only lasts about 4 years. Enjoy it while we have it!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
Why are you all complaining about a little rain? Trying living anywhere from Seattle to San Francisco where you can go a month without seeing the sun.
That could easily be Michigan too, only it would be almost an entire winter and parts of the autumn and spring where it would be cloudy, cold, damp, and miserable. Be thankful we're here instead of there.

The rain we have gotten this week is welcome. It makes no sense that anybody would complain about rainfall that we have needed so badly.

Some people's lives must be pretty lonely or pitiful if all they have to complain about is a few days of grey skies and scattered showers.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
No, it isn't. January's total rainfall was 1.6 inches above average. That is not normal. If it was a normal January the total rainfall would have been around the average. Also the number of overcast days that we have had is not normal either. The fact that the governor declared the state as a disaster area, allowing us to receive federal money for flood cleanup, is not normal.

3.26 inches of rain in a year is certainly not normal, but we're close to surpassing that mark and it isn't even March. We are over the mark for where we should be this year in terms of rainfall. We can use a break. Also, it hasn't even hit 80 degrees yet. By this time last year we already hit 80 degrees five times.

Thank you for your suggestion that I relocate to the Atacama Desert, but I would prefer to stay in Phoenix. I would suggest that if you like rainfall so much the mountains of the Pacific Northwest receive up to 400 inches worth per year.

I find it ironic that someone from Phoenix reacts so strongly to people who live here who prefer hot and dry weather. We are in a desert.
As Valley Native pointed out: we have been in a drought for many years and we need lots of this sloppy weather to at least bring things back to normal---------despite my being grumpy about the chill as well.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,538 times
This rain makes Arizona SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more enjoyable than hot dusty weather. Dec - Mar is what AZ's all about!
Attached Thumbnails
All this darn rain!-img_1732.jpg   All this darn rain!-img_6014.jpg   All this darn rain!-img_6051.jpg   All this darn rain!-img_6180.jpg   All this darn rain!-img_6187.jpg  

All this darn rain!-img_5741.jpg  

Last edited by notmuch69; 02-23-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area