Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM

117 posts, read 251,246 times

Advertisements

Hello, My name is Mary. My husband, our Ten week old twins, my sister, her two children and my mom are all moving to the Phoenix area. I was wondering if someone in the area would give us some feedback on the "good" and "bad" areas. As silly as this may sound, my sister is concerned about the scorpions too! haha. Feedback appreciated on the schools too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Don't worry about scorpions, they're rare and only found in the outskirts of town generally, I have yet to see any besides one I saw in 2003 in a pool at my neighbors house.

There aren't really any "bad" areas besides some parts of Phoenix, for the most part you're fine in any area.

Where are you and your family going to be working? Phoenix is a large city, and the commute can be rough if you move to the opposite side of town from where you work.

I would start with the work situation, once you know what part of town you will be working in then we can give advice on the specific parts of towns.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Forget about the scorpions. Your odds of even seeing one are low.

KarmaPhx has it right, this is a really big area, and it's hard to answer such general questions. Your work location(s) are very important, as you can end up with a long commute that you will tire of very quickly if you don't live within a reasonable distance of where you work in this very spread out place.

There is a lot of information here already for you to read about different areas of the Valley, too.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Scorpions are everywhere. There is no place in the area where you can be certain to not have/see them. On the other hand, I get no end of fascination at how terrified "outsiders" are of this little bug. Many here have never seen one though they likely live among them. People who live here for the most part never give scorpions a second thought.

Schools here are like everywhere else just about. The better ones are in the better neighborhoods. Simple as that.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
We are moving in a few months and I cannot wait to see a scorpion! Its so darn grey and cold here in the Midwest right now that I think of them as The Sunshine Bug.

Just as long as the thing does not crawl out of the toilet when I am sitting on it and bite my b@tt, I think I can deal.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
I am thinking (hoping) they don't frequent toilets...

Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times

Regard: The Sunshine Bug!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM

117 posts, read 251,246 times
My husband works for Pepsi and we are hoping to transfer or find a position within the company. We still have to find out where the plant is. I am a stay at home mom with 10 week old twins right now, but plan to continue with school down there. Thanks for the feedback on the scorpions. It wasn't really a concern of mine but my sister hates bugs and people around here in Michigan automatically think "scorpion." I am originally from California and people here in Mi thought that meant I had never seen snow or I was a valley girl. People just have weird stereo types of certain places.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares84 View Post
My husband works for Pepsi and we are hoping to transfer or find a position within the company. We still have to find out where the plant is. I am a stay at home mom with 10 week old twins right now, but plan to continue with school down there. Thanks for the feedback on the scorpions. It wasn't really a concern of mine but my sister hates bugs and people around here in Michigan automatically think "scorpion." I am originally from California and people here in Mi thought that meant I had never seen snow or I was a valley girl. People just have weird stereo types of certain places.
Pepsi Bottling Co in Phoenix is near 40th St and Broadway in the Industrial park. You see it when you are driving by on the I-10. For that area you may want to look at Tempe, West Chandler, Awatukee area for places to live.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times
Yes, there are Scorpions... none of us like them. But thats why there are exterminators here. If you live in the middle of the city you will most likely never see one. If you live near the desert or on the side of the mountain you will see them all the time. We had one in our bathtub when we had company from Michigan (we lived on the side of a mountain) and yes, our company freaked out!

Also, watch out for jumping cholla (it's a cactus with intense needles) when you go hiking or perhaps even buy a house. Do not go near it.

South Phoenix is a bad part of town. Also some of the downtown areas. The street Van Buren is famous for having hookers. Though with the internet these days I think that is dissapating.

Phoenix is great though and the desert is beautiful. It's not the 5th largest growing city in the US for no reason :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area