Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 33,908 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have read lots of posts here and around the web about scottsdale; even a travel book I picked out didn't stop mentioning that people in Scottsdale focus on drinking, going out, and showing off their new clothes....

I & my boyfriend are hoping to move to AZ this summer. He should be getting a job at one of the resorts out there and I do office work/contracting/etc. (or rather, I'm have a MA and am like most people in this country with little experience - job hunting).

Anyways, we want to know if there are down-to-earth people too (I know the general sense there are everywhere..). What I mean is, would we be "weird" to be homebodies, cook at home, and not really care if we're shopping at Bebe? Are there any low cost shopping areas, coffee shops, and dining areas in Scottsdale.. p.s. we're going to be renting, don't want a long commute, and have seen a few places <$800 month.

As always - thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
I hope you two are secure enough not to be worrying about what people think of you....

there are about 300K people in Scottsdale and the vast majority of them do not shop at Bebe or go clubbing.....

the travel books mention all the partying because, probably, that's what the readers want to hear....there are hip clubs in Scottsdale, but most of the patrons are visitors or live in another part of the Phx area.....

there are at least two WalMarts in Scottsdale, a Costco, dollar stores, Denny's, the whole bit....and they are usually packed....there are also lots of ultra-upscale stores, even a Bebe!...all kinds of people....some have attitudes, most do not....

and why limit yourself to looking in Scottsdale?....there are many other less-attitude areas of the valley with excellent living conditions.....very pleasant spots all around....

Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 PM

587 posts, read 1,421,537 times
I want to start this post with the fact that there are many nice people and places in Scottsdale...

That being said, I lived in the Phoenix area for 11 years. I spent 1 year in Ahwatukee, 1 year in Chandler and 9 in Goodyear (5 in Estrella and 4 in Palm Valley).

During that time, I worked in Scottsdale for about 5 of those years. I can say that there was a HUGE difference between the types of people I came into contact with when out for lunch or shopping in Scottsdale than the people I came into contact with around our home in Goodyear.

While there are laid-back people and such in Scottsdale, it's not predominant the way it is in Goodyear (and other areas too, of course). What I found was that the "Scottsdale" way of life was about partying and keeping up with the Joneses. Granted, Phoenix in general has a lot more of that than other areas of the country (especially the Midwest where I grew up), but Scottsdale has it more than other areas of the valley.

I'm sure you could do just fine living there if you weren't into that scene, but I will tell you, you'd probably be happier in a surrounding area where that isn't so prevalent. It's easy to get caught up in the lifestyle or become frustrated by it being all around you. There are lots of areas that are close to Scottsdale that are very nice; I would suggest looking in one of those.

Best of luck!!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:24 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
I want to start this post with the fact that there are many nice people and places in Scottsdale...

That being said, I lived in the Phoenix area for 11 years. I spent 1 year in Ahwatukee, 1 year in Chandler and 9 in Goodyear (5 in Estrella and 4 in Palm Valley).

During that time, I worked in Scottsdale for about 5 of those years. I can say that there was a HUGE difference between the types of people I came into contact with when out for lunch or shopping in Scottsdale than the people I came into contact with around our home in Goodyear.

While there are laid-back people and such in Scottsdale, it's not predominant the way it is in Goodyear (and other areas too, of course). What I found was that the "Scottsdale" way of life was about partying and keeping up with the Joneses. Granted, Phoenix in general has a lot more of that than other areas of the country (especially the Midwest where I grew up), but Scottsdale has it more than other areas of the valley.

I'm sure you could do just fine living there if you weren't into that scene, but I will tell you, you'd probably be happier in a surrounding area where that isn't so prevalent. It's easy to get caught up in the lifestyle or become frustrated by it being all around you. There are lots of areas that are close to Scottsdale that are very nice; I would suggest looking in one of those.

Best of luck!!
Hmmm. That is interesting. I have virtually no experience in Scottsdale other than going to a restaurant or two. On the other hand, I have lived decades in Ahwatukee and Goodyear. Maybe that is why my take on things is so different from another poster who lives in Scottsdale. I didn't think we were that different across the city. Ya live, ya learn.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:07 AM

257 posts, read 492,181 times
depends on where you are from? I am from chicago and to me scottsdale is small time and their malls are nothing compared to malls here, IMO. Not downtalking scottsdale at all. If you are from small town w/ no nightlife, it'll seem like that but if you are from bigger town like chicago, ny, la, miami, boston even, its really nothing at all.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM

15 posts, read 33,908 times
Thank you all for your posts. Just to make a record, I don't mean any harm to those in Scottsdale...

Basically, we are looking for a nice lifestyle, like that in Scottsdale. We don't have a lot of big city experience per say, but are well equip to handle its obstacles.

Really, we just want to know if 'snobbery' is really prevelant in the area. I know that I don't mind shopping at goodwill once in an while, and really don't mind walking my dog in some sweats... but would that 'normal person' behavior fly in Scottsdale??

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmadsen26 View Post
Thank you all for your posts. Just to make a record, I don't mean any harm to those in Scottsdale...

Basically, we are looking for a nice lifestyle, like that in Scottsdale. We don't have a lot of big city experience per say, but are well equip to handle its obstacles.

Really, we just want to know if 'snobbery' is really prevelant in the area. I know that I don't mind shopping at goodwill once in an while, and really don't mind walking my dog in some sweats... but would that 'normal person' behavior fly in Scottsdale??
You know when I went there, I was shocked...to me scottsdale is laughable, its small time, all that stuff you read on the internet. Scottsdale to me is chill but once again, I am from Chicago.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:44 PM

93 posts, read 305,800 times
You can "walk the dog in sweats" or do anything else you want to do in Scottsdale as long as it is legal. You will find like-minded people. The hoity-toity is easily avoided if that is your desire. Regards

Old 03-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Just like anywhere, it is what you make it.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,545 times
I live in central Scottsdale part time in the winter. I see tons of people walking their dogs, ect in sweats or shorts. Not a big deal. I love the green belt that runs through the city. People are always nice. Lots of cute second hand stores with clothes and furniture. Always people shopping in them. Some of the shoppers are very well dressed, and some very casual. I like the area a lot. You can find very high end stores and resturants, but I like a more simple lifestyle and have had no trouble finding it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area