Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:48 PM

294 posts, read 989,435 times

Advertisements

i've been to phoenix 6 ot 7 X now, but have yet to check out the downtown core other than a trip to pizzeria bianco.. what are some sites worth checking out, entertainment hot spots, or names of a couple decent restaurants? is there a certain street or section that offers nightlife? how is stoudemaires? any pedestrian friendly streets with cafes and street level shopping? or any downtown shopping malls for that matter? not looking to start up a debate on how crappy the downtown core is or how dead it is, just looking for options that are available to help make the most on my next trip. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
No downtown malls, not a lot of shopping concentrated in any one place. The First Friday art walk is a very popular event; there's good theater downtown as well. I haven't eaten at downtown restaurants lately, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post
i've been to phoenix 6 ot 7 X now, but have yet to check out the downtown core other than a trip to pizzeria bianco.. what are some sites worth checking out, entertainment hot spots, or names of a couple decent restaurants? is there a certain street or section that offers nightlife? how is stoudemaires? any pedestrian friendly streets with cafes and street level shopping? or any downtown shopping malls for that matter? not looking to start up a debate on how crappy the downtown core is or how dead it is, just looking for options that are available to help make the most on my next trip. thanks in advance.
There are people who have been here for decades and have never been downtown! There's not a lot to see or do there. First Friday is coming up. Like the metro itself, it is has gotten too popular and hence too crowded, but it is still THE event downtown and a good reason to go and check the place out.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,317 times
Fist Fridays, check out if there's any events going on in Civic Space, check the times for D-Backs or Suns games if you want to go, Dodge Theatre, Orpheum Theatre, Symphony Hall, there's a few clubs in DT but they're spread out, but for the whole crazy nightlife/ partry/ pedestrian friendly atmosphere go to Scottsdale or Tempe.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times
Hanny's and Moira are two of my favorite restaurants downtown, and the Roosevelt is one of my favorite bars. You might also want to check out Civic Space Park, particularly if a concert is going on, or catch a Diamondbacks game at Chase Field. The Arizona Center has some decent shops. It's still a little dead downtown, but picking up.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
I love downtown Phoenix. Chase Field for some great ballgames. I usually watch the games on TV but love to get to the ballpark every once in awhile. I'm not a basketball fan but lots of Phoenicians love the Suns games. I also like going to Kincaid's.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I haven't been to Phx in some time. I have heard there are housing options downtown now. Are there Grocery Stores, Gyms, Movie Theaters now? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I haven't been to Phx in some time. I have heard there are housing options downtown now. Are there Grocery Stores, Gyms, Movie Theaters now? Thanks.
Movie theater, yes - at the Arizona Center. Grocery store, yes - a small one at the Phoenix Public Market. When the new CityScape opens later on this or next year, a gym and a new larger grocery store will be there too.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Gold's Gym at CityScape has its grand opening this weekend. Oakville Market, which may or may not be worth anything, opens this summer.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
a lot of decent restaurants and bars .... i like the rooselvelt as well

matts is a great place for breakfast

cibo is good pizza for dinner

the local breeze next door has a nice outdoor area to grab a drink

quite a few neat little places down there .... but nothing is really concentrated and shopping isn't that great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area