Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

Not to mention "pampered"...is this daughter ever lived in crack town? or an apartment before? had her car stolen and being shot at? or not been able to afford health care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
Ok that's cool.

But note your youth has all sorts of advantages over us older people. It's up to you to use those opportunities.

1. If you are in your 20s and 30s, you should be investing as much as you can into stock index funds. They beat any other investment and beat inflation. They are much better than thinking a stucco box will provide you retirement (it won't). When I was born, the Vanguard Windsor fund was new. If someone put $3,000 into that fund in my name and not a penny more when I was born, I would have over $700,000 in it now at my youthful age 51.

2. Read up on nutrition, carcinogens, etc - if you smoke, stop smoking. Don't drink, or drink in moderation. Don't ever get a sunburn - avoid tanning. Use sunscreen. Drink lots of water and don't drink sodas.

3. Exercise for one hour at least six days per week.

4. Be enthusiastic at work. Enthusiasm and willing to go the extra mile is as good as what we experienced "old fogies" have - as good as wisdom.

These steps will take you far ahead of the pack. You have a long life ahead of you. Exercise and nutrition is military-like discipline and may be boring, particularly if you do it for over 30 years, but it will keep you way far ahead of the game.

It also pays to pick the right career...
7-jobs-companies-are-desperate-to-fill: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I'm in software. Been in it for over 25 years. Jobs in software engineering are expected to grow through 2018. In the early 80s I read that SW jobs will grow through the 1990s. This is a good career. Lots of room for young people and the pay for young people is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
OK, Before anymore of my post is being misunderstood, let me clarify something really quick:

I never said they should "die off" to make room for younger people! I said they DON'T RELATE TO OUR GENERATION OR THE ONES YOUNGER COMING UP! matter of fact it would be better if the education here would allow older and more experienced teachers teach! my son's teacher got booted off to make room for a bimbo, when he was awesome, experienced and my son loved his class! now he has a stupid 20 year old that has never worked with special ed kids before attempt to educate him! a joke!.....what I was referring to was their policies....what they come up with up on that Hill in DC.......here's a good example, everyone knows (or should know by now) that Holland for example has the BEST heath-care system in the entire world, now the US should let the pride go and imitate that to create a BETTER life for it's citizens too...

Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
You're absolutely right and I agree and do practice almost all of your points minus the career one....I'd need a brain transplant to work in those fields......hahahahaha I guess I was cursed to be an artist...

But awesome post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Ok that's cool.

But note your youth has all sorts of advantages over us older people. It's up to you to use those opportunities.

1. If you are in your 20s and 30s, you should be investing as much as you can into stock index funds. They beat any other investment and beat inflation. They are much better than thinking a stucco box will provide you retirement (it won't). When I was born, the Vanguard Windsor fund was new. If someone put $3,000 into that fund in my name and not a penny more when I was born, I would have over $700,000 in it now at my youthful age 51.

2. Read up on nutrition, carcinogens, etc - if you smoke, stop smoking. Don't drink, or drink in moderation. Don't ever get a sunburn - avoid tanning. Use sunscreen. Drink lots of water and don't drink sodas.

3. Exercise for one hour at least six days per week.

4. Be enthusiastic at work. Enthusiasm and willing to go the extra mile is as good as what we experienced "old fogies" have - as good as wisdom.

These steps will take you far ahead of the pack. You have a long life ahead of you. Exercise and nutrition is military-like discipline and may be boring, particularly if you do it for over 30 years, but it will keep you way far ahead of the game.

It also pays to pick the right career...
7-jobs-companies-are-desperate-to-fill: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I'm in software. Been in it for over 25 years. Jobs in software engineering are expected to grow through 2018. In the early 80s I read that SW jobs will grow through the 1990s. This is a good career. Lots of room for young people and the pay for young people is great.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
I have family in Michigan and they're embarassed to say they have family in Arizona, everyone thinks we're a bunch of racists because we want to protect ourselves from these criminals.

Maybe if they lived here they would understand how much of a problem it is.
Where is your family from? I'm from Michigan originally and most of my family is there (Grand Rapids and Detroit). Most support this bill as does most of the country. I'd find it hard to believe they were emarassed unless they were uber liberal types or lived in one of the few uber liberal areas in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area