Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,530,260 times

Advertisements

^ Uh....well I just finished 5 years of living in Florida.....
and the mosquitos are horrific, if not why does everyone enclose their back yards in screens? Why is the state government going to the feds for help with mosquito control to help fight the diseases they bring? Municipalities have used up their budgets for mosquito control as the dangers are ever increasing.

I lived in Phoenix for 15 years and saw a scorpion on only 2 occasions. Florida is famous for bugs for a reason.

But no...the bugs are not the worst part of Florida, neither is the weather, it's more the willfully ignorant southern mentality of mediocrity.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,309,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I never, ever had pest issues in Florida, as the pest control efforts are quite good there, in particular in the upscale coastal communities. I also lived very close to the ocean, so pests were not much of an issue to begin with due to the trade winds, etc.

I observed more mosquitoes and gnats in the air in Arizona during late monsoon season than I ever did in Florida, TBH.

And as far as I'm concerned, dude, scorpions are about the most deadly indoor pest on this side of the world. There are no scorpions in Florida.

People in the West have the most peculiar perceptions of Florida, which probably stem from very limited experience with the state relative to most people in the Midwest, Northeast and South, who mostly grow up taking annual pilgrimages to Florida.

Trust me when I tell you this - pests are the least of your concerns there, LOL.

You forgot about black widows. They are deadlier

And there are scorpions in parts of Florida.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM

926 posts, read 754,675 times
I think it's funny that there's this stereotype about scorpions being so prevalent in Phoenix. Have lived here since I was a teenager, and never once have come across one.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I think it's funny that there's this stereotype about scorpions being so prevalent in Phoenix. Have lived here since I was a teenager, and never once have come across one.

It depends on where you live. In my first place here we had 3 in a span of about 3 months. I haven't seen any since.

Those giant sewer roaches are worse, IMO! YUCK!

Old 05-18-2016, 12:38 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,976,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I

I observed more mosquitoes and gnats in the air in Arizona during late monsoon season than I ever did in Florida, TBH.

There are no scorpions in Florida.
Amen. Skeeters here are horrible by me. Most areas are fine, but some areas are plagued just as bad as anywhere else in the USA. And speaking of gnats, do NOT hike Twobit Peak! They are in swarms up there!!! Its funny watching all the hikers making their way up and down the mountain, arms flailing about trying to keep them off of you. I ate a few on my hike on Sunday. Its inevitable!

And FYI, there are scorpions in Florida (2 species I believe).

Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You forgot about black widows. They are deadlier

And there are scorpions in parts of Florida.
Funny thing is, neither are really "deadly" unless youre a newborn or an elderly person on your deathbed. A sting to a healthy person results in localized pain from a scorpion, perhaps some aches and pains and muscle twitches, labored breathing, etc, but not death. Black widow bites feel like a mild flu. Nothing deadly to be worried about. Funny how both creatures get such a bad rap.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Funny thing is, neither are really "deadly" unless youre a newborn or an elderly person on your deathbed. A sting to a healthy person results in localized pain from a scorpion, perhaps some aches and pains and muscle twitches, labored breathing, etc, but not death. Black widow bites feel like a mild flu. Nothing deadly to be worried about. Funny how both creatures get such a bad rap.

No, but the venom of a female black widow is more potent than a scorpion. The word "deadly" isn't always used to indicate "death." They are the most venomous spider in the US and they CAN kill, though generally only those who are very old or already in poor health would die from a bite. If you live the bite can be very painful, and the symptoms can last 12 hours to several days.

A small dog would likely die, however. That is why I don't want those spiders in my house.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
No, but the venom of a female black widow is more potent than a scorpion. The word "deadly" isn't always used to indicate "death." They are the most venomous spider in the US and they CAN kill, though generally only those who are very old or already in poor health would die from a bite. If you live the bite can be very painful, and the symptoms can last 12 hours to several days.

A small dog would likely die, however. That is why I don't want those spiders in my house.
Thats a bold claim. I mean, ounce-for-ounce a widow's venom might be more toxic, but a bark scorpion's venom isnt anything to mess with either. Bark scorpions in Mexico kill hundreds of people annually, whereas widows dont. Im sure it comes down to numbers, but bark scorpion venom is quite toxic, too. Small dogs wouldnt likely die, as long as theyre healthy. Dogs take bites from super venomous rattlers all the time and survive, including small dogs. I wouldnt fret over it.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Thats a bold claim. I mean, ounce-for-ounce a widow's venom might be more toxic, but a bark scorpion's venom isnt anything to mess with either. Bark scorpions in Mexico kill hundreds of people annually, whereas widows dont. Im sure it comes down to numbers, but bark scorpion venom is quite toxic, too. Small dogs wouldnt likely die, as long as theyre healthy. Dogs take bites from super venomous rattlers all the time and survive, including small dogs. I wouldnt fret over it.
"Drop for drop, a black widow's venom is said to be 15 times more deadly than rattlesnake venom. Yet far more people have been killed by rattlesnake bites, simply because of the much higher quantity of venom injected by the snakes. Very few people bitten by a widow spider actually die, though the bite is painful."

Black Widow :: Saint Louis Zoo

Black widow facts:

Black Widow Spider Facts

Old 05-18-2016, 05:19 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,143,549 times
*unsubscribe from spider facts*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area